C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new (cold?) air intake

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 02:41 PM
CorvetteC5Norway
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default new (cold?) air intake

I bought an air intake system much like this one:

http://www.parts123.com/corvettecent...50c&ukey=41837

planning to install it soon. My question is; what is the hole in the aluminum tubing for, is it supposed to be open when fitted?

I have watched an installation vid on Youtube:

This similar kit does not have this hole, but has a kind of connection/pipe that he connects a rubber tube on to at the end of the vid.

Can anyone tell me the difference between theese kits and what I need to do with the rubber hose since my kit does not have the connection/pipe to attach it to??
Old 02-04-2016, 03:03 PM
CaseyJones
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16

The tube should be connected to the top of the stock air cleaner housing using a plastic "L" shaped fitting. That is what connects to the fitting on the new intake if you remove the plastic fitting. Does your car not have the big tube down by the factory air cleaner cover? Perhaps it is there and is just disconnected?

There may be some difference between earlier year model C5's and the one in the video. If your car does not have the hose I would get a cap to seal the fitting on your intake. The intake probably fits all C5's and has the fitting to accommodate the cars with the tube. It is part of the emissions control system and your car may not have needed it.
The following users liked this post:
CorvetteC5Norway (02-04-2016)
Old 02-04-2016, 03:38 PM
ehillard0
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

As CaseyJones mentioned the tube runs from the Secondary Air Injection system (lower left by fog light) back to the stock air box. I'm replacing my intake and ran into a similar situation. I have a separate filter than connects directly to the air pump. I was unable to find the stock "elbow" fitting, so I capped mine off using a plastic plug from Home Depot. I also found a 5/8" irrigation compression fitting that fits perfectly if you wanted to run the stock hose off your new intake.

Last edited by ehillard0; 02-04-2016 at 04:02 PM.
Old 02-04-2016, 03:40 PM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Received 535 Likes on 491 Posts

Never open! Air, like other media, always takes the path of least resistance. Leave that open and you have loads of dirty, dusty air getting into your motor. Not good.
Is your AIR pump running?
Old 02-05-2016, 04:24 PM
dagon138
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I think it's for the Air injection system. Yeah, I imagine like suggested already, a small Air-filter on the end of the hose would suffice.
BTW:Those dual-cone intakes are thought to cause air-turbulence issues and were only popular for very short-time early in the C5 model run.
I personally never had one so no 1st hand experience.

Last edited by dagon138; 02-05-2016 at 04:25 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To new (cold?) air intake

Quick Reply: new (cold?) air intake