C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Almost a Vette owner finally but...codes!

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2016, 05:37 PM
slopra
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Almost a Vette owner finally but...codes!

So I'll start this off as somewhat of an intro before getting to my questions. I've been a Supra guy for years, fell into that scene kinda by accident, but I've been a Corvette lover since I was a kid. I've been out of a Supra for awhile, and I need more than my '14 IS350 is giving me. It's about time I get into a vette so I've been looking for a C5z.

I've narrowed it down to two, both 03's, both 40-45k miles, both $22,900. One is electron blue, the other is black with the motorsports wheels.

I had the chance to go check out the black one today and I pulled quite a number of H codes from it and a couple C codes. None of which were advertised btw. The only thing I can say is when I went to start it the battery was dead, it did the usual fast clicking of most cars. They jumped it and it ran great. (aside from a little bit of idle shake which I'm assuming is normal, never had a v8!) I didn't have time to take it for a test drive today, but I'll be doing that tomorrow with both cars.

Anyways these are the codes, curious what everyone's thoughts are. To me it looks like at least some of them might be related to the battery being dead, but please let me know.

https://i.imgur.com/z45xBBz.png

Last edited by slopra; 02-05-2016 at 05:37 PM.
Old 02-05-2016, 07:36 PM
Bryan144
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Good luck on the purchase! You won't regret it, C5's are more aerodynamic than Supra's but I do like Supra's.. Buddy of mine has a 700 hp one!

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...odes-dtcs.html Check this out for the codes, it's a complete list w/ descriptions

Battery being dead is a common thing on these cars especially if they sit. I'd buy a battery tender if you don't have one.

Tons of resources available on the forum man, good luck! Welcome to the Corvette Family!
Old 02-05-2016, 08:07 PM
slopra
6th Gear

I have a feeling I'm going to end up being torn between the two as to which really is my favorite once I own a vette lol

Thanks for the link and welcome! I had actually found a similar resource and pulled all the descriptions, I've got all the codes and descriptions listed out in the imgur link at the bottom of my original post. Just trying to make sense of the codes. I can't imagine why a 45k mile car would already have this many codes stored unless it's somehow related to the dead battery. The types of codes they are have got me feeling that's the case.

Speaking of these car's sitting and the battery draining; the tech who came and jumped the car said the car has to be stored in reverse or it will drain the battery. I thought that sounded kind of odd, any validity to that?

Last edited by slopra; 02-05-2016 at 08:07 PM.
Old 02-05-2016, 08:13 PM
Bryan144
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've never heard about the reverse thing but who knows 🤔 I don't see why it would help..

I like blue personally black is a hassle but looks sharp!

unless they're really serious codes I wouldn't fret very much. Seems like the sensors and stuff can be sensitive but definitely look into them just in case. My 98' had a plethora of A/C related codes and small stuff. If I were buying a Z I would want a 1 owner, you know how sports cars are driven 🏁 Hopefully some more people will chime in and give their advice/experiences
Old 02-06-2016, 06:25 AM
CaseyJones
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16

Old 02-06-2016, 07:20 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

Anybody else think the price is too high? I would think no higher than 19K would be correct.

Mr. Sam
Old 02-06-2016, 08:24 AM
Purple92
Melting Slicks

Received 786 Likes on 541 Posts

First off (almost) Welcome to the Corvette world !!!

I also agree - a properly modded Supra is a very fast car !!! I've seen at least one at the track that had well more than one atmosphere of boost, and it was both fast, and reliable.

As far as the C5's go - as several other posts have indicated - a battery going dead can cause a host of codes to pop up. I agree with bryan144 about a trickle charger - but I'd use a Ctek maintainer/charger (my personal preference). BTW - Jump starting is sometimes necessary, but can cause problems - especially when not done carefully. If you find you have a dead battery - if you have the time - hooking up a charger, and charging at like 10 Amps for a couple of hours is definitely preferable to jump starting.

In my opinion pricing for a C5 Z06 is still fairly strong, I think you are in the right area... I haven't seen prices in the teens for decent cars - at least not yet.

When you've spent more time on this forum (and I'll bet you will) - you'll see that one of the more common C5 issues relates to electrical "stuff" - and part of that is ground connections!!! So if one of the two cars you're looking at seems to have been inside it's whole life, and the other has spent more time in the rain - that might be something to think about in making your decision. Take a very careful look under the hood - and see if you can see any corrosion on things. Also check under the battery tray for any sign of battery leakage - if you see that - I'd suggest running (not walking) away...

GOOD LUCK !!!
Old 02-06-2016, 09:12 AM
slopra
6th Gear

Thanks for all the advice guys!

I'll definitely be clearing codes and doing a thorough test drive to see what comes back on the black one.

Unfortunately the blue one sold, so it's not an option anymore. There aren't any other C5z's in my area in the same condition to go take a look at. But there are a couple of base models in my area with similar miles, so I'm going to go look at them just to have a reference point. Yesterday was the first day I had actually sat down in a vette so I need something to compare to.

This will be an interesting chapter of car ownership as I hate electrical issues. We'll see how this goes. At least not being my daily driver I can take my time with it. With that being said a battery maintainer will likely be one of my first "upgrades" boorrrrringggg lol
Old 02-06-2016, 09:22 AM
slopra
6th Gear

So the dealer also has an '05 base in black for 1k more with 49k miles and he also has an '06 base in red for the same price with 70k miles. I'm having some issues making a decision last minute. I know in this section of the forum, most people are going to say go C5 lol
Old 02-06-2016, 10:36 AM
huesmann
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 51 Posts

Base for more dough and more miles than the Z?
Old 02-06-2016, 10:55 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Ive owned a 98 Coupe, 2002 ZO6, 06 Z51 Coupe and a 11 Grand sport.

After living through ll those cars,, I would NOT purchase the FIRST model C5 or C6. The 05 had some TEATHING issues that were corrected on the 06. The 05 differential was not robust, The reverse thing was a pain. The UGLY shark fin antenna on the roof.

SO,,, YES.. Stick with the C5 or wait for an 06... OH,,, The HID fixed headlights in the C6 FAR out preform the C5 headlights!!!

Good luck on your purchase..

BC
Old 02-06-2016, 11:02 AM
Velocity_Vette
Drifting

Received 352 Likes on 294 Posts

Most have already responded to your code issue but I'll add that it's not relatively uncommon to find many, many C5s with stored codes of some sort. When I was searching, I would frequently come across cars that had prior codes that the owners knew nothing about. It's understandable. A lot of C5s throw rather obscured anomaly codes, such as codes relating to BCM communication. These sort of codes - along with many other similar ones like it - will not trigger a Check Engine light, so if an owner has been driving around they may of had these codes triggering with no instrumentation warning.

It's pretty common.

Wanting to purchase a manual C5, more concerning for your purchase would be if the car has had the column recalls performed and if a column lock bypass has been installed or not. Read the sticky regarding the column lock issues as they can get confusing.

2005 C6s are sometimes jokingly referred to as "C5.5" because they are a bit of an "odd" year. Many parts were carried over from the C5. It wasn't until the following year in 2006 that the C6 received a lot of dedicated C6 parts. Those prices that you have compared to your initial search is incredibly high for early C6s. Pre-2008 C6s are starting to come down in price. That 2005 C6, even with just under sub 50,000 miles, shouldn't be selling for +$20,000, unless it's an exceptionally high optioned trim level.
Old 02-06-2016, 05:13 PM
slopra
6th Gear

Well this thread is definitely getting off topic lol but let's continue.

So I walked away from both of them today. The C5z seemed ok, but there was just something about it that didn't make me happy in it. The interior definitely showed its age and not in a good way at all. One of the Supras I owned was a clean '85, and I was perfectly content with it. It just felt like the C5z was going to fall apart, and the top of the shifter literally did fall off. The powertrain felt mechanically sound and all of the stored codes did not return after a pretty long test drive I took it on. Maybe that's how this car is but I didn't get the chance to compare to any other C5s, Z or not. Am I being too picky?

The C6 felt like it had some major drivetrain issues. I wasn't able to get it into first very easily most of the time. As I was driving I kept hearing some loud pops, which definitely weren't the exhaust. Sounded like it was from the interior somewhere. Radio was off. And also when I was turning around halfway through the test drive I heard some clunking. So I slalomed through the parking lot and there was some pretty bad clunking sounds from the rear. The Carfax shows that the differential was replaced so not sure what to think there. Also the clutch would only come up to its catch point quickly and then slowly rise to the top. Also the catch point was really low, not sure if this is how it is supposed to be or not, just pointing it out.

All in all, I wasn't very impressed with either of them, especially at their price point, so I walked. Feeling kinda bummed today but I know I want to get into a vette. I absolutely loved the torque! Back to hunting!

Last edited by slopra; 02-06-2016 at 05:16 PM.
Old 02-06-2016, 05:49 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Sounds like the C6 had a clutch hydraulics issue..

I like the C7 BUT,,,, Im VERY happy with my 02 Z and the wife loves her Grand Sport Vert!

No need for a newer car,,,,,, for now.

Bill
Old 02-09-2016, 03:29 AM
ZZ06
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Keep lookin!!!
Old 02-09-2016, 11:49 AM
3sACROWD
Melting Slicks

Received 446 Likes on 328 Posts

Good for you! You didn't let your emotions override your gut. If it doesn't feel right, don't buy it or you will likely regret it. This is a car you want, not one you need so be patient.
Old 02-09-2016, 01:45 PM
Johnny wangwang
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Yeah my interior doesn't rattle and nothing falls apart and Ive got Solid motor mounts. Sounds like those cars were ragged out. Also, Most of the issues with these cars are electrical. Mostly that or an Oil pump going out. The electrical stuff is annoying when it pops up. But 90% of the time its just stupid stuff that can be fixed easily and cheap or free.

If your willing to spend 20k you should be getting something low mileage. Im talking 30's or below. Wait a while and you will find what your looking for.
Old 02-21-2016, 10:29 PM
Internetguru
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 130 Likes on 100 Posts

My C5 is a bit worn in the interior. But it has a wicked strong motor, a crazy loud exhaust and upgraded brakes. It drives great! And for the price paid I can live with the interior showing its age. Ripping down the road in it makes me grin from ear to ear. It is just as fast as my C7 just not as luxurious.

Get notified of new replies

To Almost a Vette owner finally but...codes!

Quick Reply: Almost a Vette owner finally but...codes!