C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

03 trac cntrl-active handling fail at 75mph

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2016, 10:08 PM
stnick
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default 03 trac cntrl-active handling fail at 75mph

I have 2 2003 c5's we bought new. Travelers Insurance offered 10% discount just to try and 30% if we stayed under 12000 miles per year verified by IntelliDrive Dongles placed in our diagnostic ports.
Now, Immediately upon cranking my wife's car, the failure lights and DIC indicated on the dash. Mine worked seamlessly until a few days later when I hit 75mph on the interstate.
Mine hits 75mph and the car actually feels like the injectors fail for a second or two... Like traction control invokes briefly then the DIC and failure lights appear.
These things aren't cheap to diagnose and even more painful to repair... Any help or opinions welcome.
Old 02-06-2016, 02:52 PM
stnick
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok, 28 TCS. C1232H
Have you heard of the Insurance dongles causing any problems when plugged into the diagnostic port? Just seems odd that both cars would fail immediately upon plugging the dongles in...
Thank you for all your help btw!
Nick
Old 02-06-2016, 04:05 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,081 Likes on 1,634 Posts

Why in the world would anyone put one of those (Insurance dongles) in their car ????????? (do some research)
Old 02-06-2016, 08:39 PM
strand rider
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 181 Posts

I would ditch the insurance and the required participation in modding my electronics.

As noted, the systems are not cheap to repair, and are not at all new systems with perfect responses generating perfect outcomes. Even when new, glitches happen, and new was many miles ago with me. Adding new circuits to and old system and expecting things to go 100% great, makes as much sense as throwing a man on a tight rope a couple of cans of beans.

They are trying to limit their risk exposure with your inconvenience. Perhaps it is just marketing, saying we are modern and have computerized info, and the little electro thing implies ownership and more cusotmer retention, I don't know. Since mileage info is so easy to get , maybe it is a way to lay off underwriters or cut expenses in some other way. In any event, it didn't result in a good outcome and is unneeded to insure a car, Unless you like solving electrical puzzles in your spare time without pay, of course. Hopefully when you unplug the thing, systems return to normal

I am confident your insurer is not radically undercutting the market because of this dongle, that's not what insurers do. I would go price shopping and find a company that doesn't slam me into instant and unexpected repair mode with their product .

No matter the discount, the rates are regulated, there is a price floor, but no upper limit on prices, so the word discount means little with this product. You have to be able to pay claims, it's not like buying a tv and bettering the market because of a sale. The market is controlled.

In my state mileage is reported with smog paperwork, or you could drop by the agent and let them look. I would offer them to insure the car at the same price with a visual mileage inspection of you liked the company, but would not be adding anything into an older electrical circuit that has the potential for unknown outcomes. And more so with a circuit that can take control the car.

While I am confident these deals are bench tested, they are not tested in my used car with what ever eccentricities might have developed through the years. I cite the two different responses from two different cars as my reason , when the device is supposed to be electronically invisible to both cars. It created active situations in both that were not in play before the added electronics. If my car had a marginal system, (and it probably does, to some extent), that was triggered into failure, perhaps even by an unknown defect in the add on circuit, it is not an insurance claim I would like to present. Of course, I am exaggerating here to make a point.

A buddy at work has a son who had the rear anti-lock system on his brand new Dodge truck turn on and lock up at highway speeds , spinning his truck across six lanes of freeway. He wasn't hurt, but he was lucky.

The fact the this insurance circuit , when added into your active handling ,perhaps triggered an event, and it seems it did, even if it is just dash lights, is too close for me. I much prefer to plan my risk exposure. With plans, I at least have a story, for better or worse. With risk and no plan , I only look stupid.

Insurance is a generic product, regulated by the state. The only differences are the prices, customer services and how they value the customer. Mark em up to mark 'em down, is an old retail saying. A 40% discount is attractive, but has no relation to increased value or less money with this product.

Get notified of new replies

To 03 trac cntrl-active handling fail at 75mph

Quick Reply: 03 trac cntrl-active handling fail at 75mph