C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil leak and squeaky belt on 2002 C5

Old 02-12-2016, 02:01 PM
Jacobdukes
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil leak and squeaky belt on 2002 C5

I recently found an oil leak on my 2002 Corvette. It looks like the oil is coming from the bottom, but I see some blown up on the back of the car. adding around 1/2 quart every 1,200 miles. Also, a squealing belt and the pressure gauge is now reading 80psi. Any ideas or easy fix options? Didn't know if they are all related somehow?
Old 02-12-2016, 02:52 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,081 Likes on 1,634 Posts

not enough info ????? pic's ???????
Old 02-12-2016, 03:03 PM
pmr2000
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by akapounder
not enough info ????? pic's ???????
Pressure gauge pegged at 80 is most likely bad oil pressure sender. Cheap fix part is around 40 bucks. 2 methods to replace can search lots of great posts here that helped me change mine.
Old 02-12-2016, 11:40 PM
BigGun
Drifting

Received 67 Likes on 62 Posts

The bad sensor may be the source of your oil leak. Some leak when they go out.
Old 02-13-2016, 12:35 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,910 Likes on 5,325 Posts

Definitely need more info. Oil pressure sensor probably needs replacing and might be leaking. However, the leak and the pressure reading may not related. Have you checked the bottom of the car to see where the oil starts getting on the engine and frame. Is it at the rear of the engine or the front? For example, if you are getting oil on the belt and front stabilizer bar take a look at the front cover seal. If that has started leaking and then gives out totally you will use a half quart of oil in 20 minutes not 1200 miles. Also look at the oil pan along with the main bearing cross bolts that are above the oil pan. If the oil starts showing up at the rear of the engine then there is more of a correlation between the sensor reading and the leak. Definitely check the belt for wear and the pulley system to determine if the pulleys are the problem. Sometimes when the crankshaft balancer comes loose you can see the crankshaft pulley move forward and rearward depending on whether somebody is applying throttle of lifting off the throttle. I have seen the pulley move all the way to the stabilizer bar when somebody steps on the gas and all the way back to the front cover when they take their foot off the gas. It will make a loud squealing noise depending on what it hits.

Bill
Old 02-13-2016, 02:02 PM
Jacobdukes
4th Gear

Thanks for all of the advice everyone!

Here is the best pic i can get of the leak. I dont have my lift jacks with me.<br/>
Old 02-13-2016, 02:11 PM
Jacobdukes
4th Gear

I layed cardboard under the motor to try and identify where the leak in dripping from. Looks like the rear of the motor. Also, will a bad oil sensor unit cause a leak when the car is not running?

Last edited by Jacobdukes; 02-13-2016 at 02:38 PM.
Old 02-13-2016, 02:45 PM
Jacobdukes
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Definitely need more info. Oil pressure sensor probably needs replacing and might be leaking. However, the leak and the pressure reading may not related. Have you checked the bottom of the car to see where the oil starts getting on the engine and frame. Is it at the rear of the engine or the front? For example, if you are getting oil on the belt and front stabilizer bar take a look at the front cover seal. If that has started leaking and then gives out totally you will use a half quart of oil in 20 minutes not 1200 miles. Also look at the oil pan along with the main bearing cross bolts that are above the oil pan. If the oil starts showing up at the rear of the engine then there is more of a correlation between the sensor reading and the leak. Definitely check the belt for wear and the pulley system to determine if the pulleys are the problem. Sometimes when the crankshaft balancer comes loose you can see the crankshaft pulley move forward and rearward depending on whether somebody is applying throttle of lifting off the throttle. I have seen the pulley move all the way to the stabilizer bar when somebody steps on the gas and all the way back to the front cover when they take their foot off the gas. It will make a loud squealing noise depending on what it hits.

Bill
The leak is coming from the rear of the motor and only a small puddle while it has sat for the last 4 days.
Old 02-14-2016, 11:10 PM
BigGun
Drifting

Received 67 Likes on 62 Posts

When you replace the oil pressure sensor and you can see if it's been leaking.
Old 02-15-2016, 12:46 PM
Ray 2000 C5 FRC
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jacobdukes
Thanks for all of the advice everyone!

Here is the best pic i can get of the leak. I dont have my lift jacks with me.<br/>
Recommendation: Get your oil pressure sending switch replaced. Keep in mind, the new sending switch could also go bad in short order, that is why some of us install the relocation kits.
Next, get someone or some place that will clean up that oil mess you have. Looks like a few cans of engine cleaner and a stiff paint brush will be in order. Once you have it looking like new, you can then see if you fixed the leak with by replacing the oil pressure sending unit.

Get notified of new replies

To Oil leak and squeaky belt on 2002 C5

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oil leak and squeaky belt on 2002 C5