C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pilot bushing issue. Large/small bearing vs bushing

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2016, 09:43 PM
NXS
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Pilot bushing issue. Large/small bearing vs bushing

I bought a c5 that had a drive line vibration.
Pulled the torque tube and found the input shaft appeared to be bent (when spun by hand it wobbled back and forth, bearings felt good)

I noticed the pilot bearing was bad. Thinking it was the shaft that knocked it out I simply replaced it (along with a new clutch and pressure plate)
Bought a used z06 torque tube, installed it.

200 miles later I have a grinding coming from the clutch area after a hard launch. I assumed the clutch broke. Disassembled and found the pilot bearing destroyed and the input shaft chewed up.

Lucky I have another z06 input.

Reading forums I see the pilot bearing seems to be a recurring issue and people say to run the older sintered bronze bushing but that they may only last 5-7000 miles.

Reading further I see there is also the later model "large" ball bearing pilot.

So my question is :

Can I install the bronze bushing followed by the large bearing?
If so it appears the splines will hit the large bearing do question 2 is can I have the input splines machined off 1/3" or so without affecting the clutch engagement?

Maybe I'm over thinking this. But I do not want to do this again, it's a large job and input shafts are not easy to find.

Thanks
Old 02-28-2016, 08:28 PM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 121 Posts

If it's killing pilot bearings you most likely have tq tube issues, most likely the guibos

Use the GM bearing, make sure it's installed facing correctly. you can install it backwards and you can damage it on install of shaft also.

Quick Reply: Pilot bushing issue. Large/small bearing vs bushing