C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP! Driver side rear brake and turn signal not working...

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2016, 07:12 PM
gn4life
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default HELP! Driver side rear brake and turn signal not working...

Having some issues with ONLY my DRIVER SIDE REAR brake light and same REAR TURN SIGNAL not working. Problem has to be related. Both started yesterday.

When I use the driver side turn signal it hyper flashes on the cluster the front driver side turn signal does work but hyper flashes too. But both rear driver side turn lights don't work.
Also, noticed the same thing is happening with both driver side brake lights. When I hit the brake pedal The third brake light and both passenger side brake lights work fine. But both driver side brake lights don't work though.

However, both night time rear driver side lights do work when I cut the head/tail lights on. Sockets also look fine and not corroded.

Looking for some pointers or maybe an easy fix before I have to find some schematics and break out a volt meter.

-Checked the bulbs... Filaments were fine...also switched both bulbs over to the passenger side they both worked just fine. Turn signal and brake wise.

-When I hit the hazards. Same thing. All other lights flash except the rear driver side. Did a Hazard bypass just to make sure it wasn't the pesky Hazard switch. Problem still persist.

Open to even simple advice I may be over looking..

Thanks

Last edited by gn4life; 03-09-2016 at 07:38 PM.
Old 03-09-2016, 08:07 PM
fasttoney
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Read up on hazard light switch going bad, here on the forum. This info may help you. Also, check your fuses.
Old 03-09-2016, 08:36 PM
gn4life
Instructor

Originally Posted by fasttoney
Read up on hazard light switch going bad, here on the forum. This info may help you. Also, check your fuses.
Thanks. Yeah I am very read up on the hazard switch. I suffered from the intermittent turn signal problems on this Vette and other ones. That's why I did the hazard switch bypass mod today ....I get that it wouldn't fix the brake light. What I don't get is why the turn signal wont work still even with the hazard bypass mod installed If the hazard switch was culprit. ????

Fuses checked but will re check in the AM. Dark raining and garage is full. What bad fuse would only effect the rear driver side brake and turn signal???

Last edited by gn4life; 03-09-2016 at 08:43 PM.
Old 03-10-2016, 01:37 AM
fasttoney
Racer

or it can be a grounding issue within the light assy, or the body. do you have aftermarket lights back there? you may can try temp swapping the entire assy from one side to the next, not just the bulbs. this happened to me, but the hazard switch fixed it. I didn't do the bypass mod, I just pulled the dash. hope this helps. I know the hazard switch does several things.
Old 03-10-2016, 06:08 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

I agree the MF switch is the problem. The hazard switch was wasted time and money.

Mr. Sam
Old 03-10-2016, 07:49 AM
gn4life
Instructor

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
No single fuse that effects ONLY the left side brake and turn signal. Fuse #8 in the passenger footwell services the tail lights on BOTH sides But there is a ground at G401 that is for the left side brake and turn signal. Actually it is SP400 (SP = Splice Pack) that goes to G401.

Here are a couple links on C5 grounds that may help:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...locations.html

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...tion-long.html Post #1

Personally I think the problem will finally sort out to be a problem with the Multi-Function Switch. JMHO

There
Cool thanks so much.
Exactly what i was getting at. If it was a fuse it would effect both sides of the action.
That ground info is a good next place to start. Thanks again.
How could the multi function switch effect the brake lights? I was guessing that they were run off a separate brake switch. Any other ways to tell if the multi function switch is bad? That seems like worse case scenario. I do have a multi function switch off of a 98. But i have no idea if its good or compatible since this is a 2000. Plus the lettering on the handle is pretty faded and worn.

Last edited by gn4life; 03-10-2016 at 07:51 AM.
Old 03-10-2016, 08:02 AM
gn4life
Instructor

Originally Posted by dadaroo
I agree the MF switch is the problem. The hazard switch was wasted time and money.

Mr. Sam
I didnt replace the hazard switch. I just did the bypass with the $6 el12 flasher. Which i already had because i had been having random intermittent turn signal not working once in a while on both sides. Plus was going to go led turn signals and thought that would stop hyper flash if i did.
Any other ways to test the multi function switch??? How does the multi function switch effect the brake lights individually?
Thanks you seem very knowledgeable. Seen your info in a lot of light post.
Old 03-10-2016, 10:07 AM
gn4life
Instructor

Update.... pulled the multi funtion switch since the kick panel was already off and 2 people on here more knowledgeable than myself suspected it. I also have a 1998 race car c5 that is gutted but still had multi funtion switch but was litterally a 2 minute pull off job since its gutted. The harness and connecter was the same so i plugged it into the problem car. Same exact thing all funtions work on the multi function switch except driver side rear turn signals and still no rear driver side brake lights.

I guess that rules out multi function switch
Old 03-10-2016, 10:42 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

The brake and turn signal lights are the same filament. If the MF did not fix it you will need to pull out the multimeter and trace the issue.

If you need any schematics I have that to post at home. There is only one ground for all the lights in the rear.

Should not be too hard to find the issue.

Mr. Sam
Old 03-10-2016, 10:44 AM
gn4life
Instructor

Originally Posted by fasttoney
or it can be a grounding issue within the light assy, or the body. do you have aftermarket lights back there? you may can try temp swapping the entire assy from one side to the next, not just the bulbs. this happened to me, but the hazard switch fixed it. I didn't do the bypass mod, I just pulled the dash. hope this helps. I know the hazard switch does several things.
Lights are stock. Can you explain switching the assembly? Sorry i missed this earlier
Old 03-10-2016, 11:03 AM
gn4life
Instructor

Originally Posted by dadaroo
The brake and turn signal lights are the same filament. If the MF did not fix it you will need to pull out the multimeter and trace the issue.

If you need any schematics I have that to post at home. There is only one ground for all the lights in the rear.

Should not be too hard to find the issue.

Mr. Sam
I would appreciate it thanks so much. However, i would hate to waste your time schematics arent my strong point but i have figured them out before and i want to fix this thing myself and not get into the whole taking it into the shop thing since its already apart.

The ground is the g401 that 8vette7 listed earlier right? its on the outer frame rail right behind the rear tire... small...was pretty clean. Plus it grounding other stuff that is working. What should i do?

Last edited by gn4life; 03-10-2016 at 11:10 AM.
Old 03-10-2016, 05:39 PM
fasttoney
Racer

my apologies. I worked this issue with a couple of experts on here. and now that I'm remembering. I had to do the hazard switch, and the mf switch. thanks dadaroo. this was after my ipc wire harness caught fire.

Last edited by fasttoney; 03-10-2016 at 05:46 PM. Reason: added more info.
Old 03-10-2016, 09:13 PM
gn4life
Instructor

It looks like it may be simple to just pull the rear light harness. I may be able to plug it into a 01 zo6 and test it. Were does the rear light harness plug into?
Old 03-11-2016, 04:43 PM
gn4life
Instructor

Originally Posted by gn4life
It looks like it may be simple to just pull the rear light harness. I may be able to plug it into a 01 zo6 and test it. Were does the rear light harness plug into?
Bump getting ready to jack up the car and try to test the harness...Any suggestions? Where does the rear light harness plug into???
Old 03-11-2016, 06:55 PM
gn4life
Instructor

Well that was quick, FIXED IT.

THE FIX!!!!!!!!!!!
Found a crimped wire in the harness by the battery. Played with it and the turn signal came on. Cut wire stripped it and fixed it right. Brake light working too.

Now I get to put the car back together again.
Old 11-29-2020, 05:45 PM
Denis Ory
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by gn4life
Well that was quick, FIXED IT.

THE FIX!!!!!!!!!!!
Found a crimped wire in the harness by the battery. Played with it and the turn signal came on. Cut wire stripped it and fixed it right. Brake light working too.

Now I get to put the car back together again.
I wanted to share some info related to fixing the Brake Light / Turn Signals. By using the Wiring Schematics and a little testing, I was able to track down the culprit.

The following users liked this post:
h8snow (05-12-2023)

Get notified of new replies

To HELP! Driver side rear brake and turn signal not working...

Quick Reply: HELP! Driver side rear brake and turn signal not working...