C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low Oil Level -- How much should I add?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2002, 11:45 AM
xwing
Race Director

Received 81 Likes on 57 Posts

Default Low Oil Level -- How much should I add?

My DIC came on with the "Low Oil Level" warning @ 4000 miles. Is it normal for the car to burn oil?

How do you tell how much oil needs to be added? On the dipstick, I'm right at the "Add Oil" line.
Old 09-03-2002, 12:09 PM
Arkay
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: Low Oil Level -- How much should I add? (rworkman98)

Usually the low oil warning light means 1 1/2 to 2 quarts. Rather than add, you may want to change the oil. since you alrady have 4,000 miles. If I was on the road and got the warning, I would add one and watch it. Getting the warning light to reset is sometimes hard.

Dick
Old 09-03-2002, 12:45 PM
QKSLVRZ
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Default Re: Low Oil Level -- How much should I add? (Dick Kriss)

My question is, I changed the oil and filter over the weekend, let it drain down hill for a while, put 6.5 qt's in and the oil was at the add line :confused:
Another qt would be 7.5 qt's of oil, and if I were to put another qt in like the manual say's for racing that would be 8 and a half qt's of oil? That can't be right can it?
Do you go by how much oil you put in, or by the dipstick?
Old 09-03-2002, 12:52 PM
luvinc5
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Low Oil Level -- How much should I add? (QKSLVRZ)

Prior to changing the oil, bring it (add a bit of oil) to the dealer and see what can be done. The dealer may start you on the oil burn watch program. Basically, they will change the oil and filter and ask you to bring in the vette at certain periods to monitor the oil level.
Old 09-03-2002, 12:54 PM
gmblack3
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Low Oil Level -- How much should I add? (QKSLVRZ)

I had the low oil on the dic once and added 1 quart.

I usually have to out in 7 qts total for mu 01 Z06 to get it to the full line on the dipstick. Make sure that you are checking the level in the am after the car has sat all night.
Old 09-03-2002, 03:36 PM
QKSLVRZ
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Default Re: Low Oil Level -- How much should I add? (gmblack3)

I checked again at lunch, and it was at the add line. I added the rest of the 7th qt, and that took it to the full line.
And I used the longer of the 2 Mobil One oil filters that fit. If that hold .2 qt's more than the shorter one, and it's only a half qt between add and full, 6 and a half qt's with a normal filter would be about the middle of the dipstick. So maybe it's not that far off after all.
Old 09-04-2002, 10:31 AM
redriverjohn
Pro

Default Re: Low Oil Level -- How much should I add? (rworkman98)

When adding oil, you should add whatever quanity is required to bring the level to the full mark on the dip stick. A quart every 4000 miles or so hardly qualifies you C5 as an "oil burner." It's going to have to use a lot more than that to get GM's attention. Oil consumption also depends a lot on how you drive your car. If you drive it hard, it is probably going to use some.
Old 09-04-2002, 12:00 PM
bierbelly
Race Director

Default Re: Low Oil Level -- How much should I add? (redriverjohn)

OK, I was gonna start a new thread, but I'll jump in on this one. My DIC popped up yesterday with the Low Oil Level warning, and I had just checked it the day before. Showed about 1 qt low when the oil was cold, so I figured, what the heck, when it warms up, it'll expand and only be about 1/2 qt low--OK in my book. Next day, bam! Looked in the manual and it says not to check the oil when it's cold, it will show TOO HIGH! Go figure. Anyway, I had to add 2 quarts.

Will 2 qts in less than 3K miles get me a ring job?

Thanks

Tom
Old 09-04-2002, 03:03 PM
redriverjohn
Pro

Default Re: Low Oil Level -- How much should I add? (bierbelly)

This should answer your question:
http://www.idavette.net/hib/02ls6/page5.htm

Get notified of new replies

To Low Oil Level -- How much should I add?

Quick Reply: Low Oil Level -- How much should I add?