C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

02 Zo6 Airbag light

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2016, 03:36 AM
TheFig
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 Zo6 Airbag light

So I bought this car from a guy here in VA, the car sat garaged in TN for two years after he bought it from another fella in Houston, where it's original engine was blown missing 2nd gear.

The guy I bought it from is pretty mechanically inclined, yet had other toys to mess with. Luckily he sold me his z and I'm a happy camper, well as soon as these light go off I will be.

The ABS, Traction lights were on so I pulled the EBCM. I'm currently awaiting for the EBCM I took off to come back, slap it in, hopefully then it takes care of those lights.

Now my airbag light has yet to turn off. I've taken the horn/ air bag module off to check the plugs, and all is well. Even disconnected the plug under the steering wheel, that one was a bit oily, but I sprayed it with some alcohol and dried it up. Still nothing. I checked all the fuses, and nothing. I really don't know where else to look. All seems well but I get nothing.

The only codes I get now are the following:

10- PCM P0102 H C
PCM P1571 H C
PCM P1689 H C

28- TCS NO COMM.

58- SDM B0026 H C

U1040 H C

I get the B0026 deals with the airbag light, but in no way can I find what the heck is wrong with my car.

Any help or guidance will be greatly appreciated.

(2002 Zo6 manual):
Old 03-21-2016, 09:38 AM
CaseyJones
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16

There are several things that can cause this as I have learned because I have the same problem. Mine is because the original BCM has been replaced (by me while trying to fix another issue) and the new BCM is not correctly recognizing the existing air bags. That can be fixed but there are parts that have to be reset by a trained tech with the right equipment. Computer make things so much fun! For me, I will be replacing the new BCM with the original one as it turns out that nothing was wrong with mine.

There is also an airbag sensor down near the steering column that could be bad and needs attention. Also, the yellow wire in the steering column that hooks to the airbag could be loose at the airbag connection. There are specific steps that have to take place to safely remove the airbag to check that.

Search the sticky thread about Important Electrical Information for "airbag" at the top of the C5 Tech section and it will have much more detailed information.

Last edited by CaseyJones; 03-21-2016 at 09:39 AM.
Old 03-21-2016, 04:30 PM
TheFig
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey thanks Casey Jones, I did try the sensor near the steering wheel but nothing. As with my EBCM shoot mine is fried. Well it looks like it had water intrusion and everything in there corroded. But I'll keep fiddling with my airbag dilemma until something happens.
Old 03-21-2016, 05:21 PM
CaseyJones
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16

I'd check the yellow wire and the BCM. I fixed mine today by putting hte old BCM back in it and running through the re-learning procedure.

Get notified of new replies

To 02 Zo6 Airbag light

Quick Reply: 02 Zo6 Airbag light