C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lightweight Clutch setups...

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2016, 11:32 AM
Johnny wangwang
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Lightweight Clutch setups...

So I have a brand New LS7 Clutch at this point and was looking to lighten it up. Apparently the lightest flywheel made for that setup is a Fidanza 12.5lb flywheel. After doing the math that would put me at like 7lbs lighter then a stock C5z Setup. For $400 for the flywheel it doesn't really make sense for me to invest in something that will save me 7lbs and cost that much. I can take that $400 and apply it towards a real clutch setup. So...Im curious if any of you have weighed your after market clutch setups. Im looking for the lightest for the money. Im not a drag racer. At this point im looking for the best throttle response all motor (Prob around 440whp with a cam). Any suggestions?
Old 03-22-2016, 12:13 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

NOTE! A very light flywheel will cause a very erratic idle. Especially if you have a BIG CAM. Trust me..

I have a SPEC Clutch and the mass is a lot less than a standard FW. Learning to move the car from a dead stop is different.
Old 03-22-2016, 12:18 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,260 Likes on 1,055 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

I have an act twin disc and I believe that setup is roughly 10lbs lighter overall compared to the stock c5 clutch/flywheel... I have a medium size cam and it's no problem taking off from a light, idling, or slowing down, but it will buck a little bit when creeping slowly like in a parking lot or heavy traffic... if you do get a lightened flywheel stick with steel, aluminum will warp much easier when exposed to heat... here's some pics of it before I installed it

Last edited by neutron82; 03-22-2016 at 12:22 PM.
Old 03-22-2016, 12:22 PM
Johnny wangwang
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Yeah Ive owned cars with 8.8lb flywheels. So im versed in how drivability changes. I probably wont even go with huge a cam as I may just build a simple single turbo kit around either the stock Z cam or mild boost cam. But at that point id probably switch back to a heavy clutch setup. I just want something super light for while im N/A.

Get notified of new replies

To Lightweight Clutch setups...

Quick Reply: Lightweight Clutch setups...