C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Roller rocker installation questions...

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2016, 05:16 PM
doublec4
Drifting

Received 60 Likes on 24 Posts

Default Roller rocker installation questions...

I have some questions about a yella terra roller rocker install that I'm doing. This is being done to a 3800 V6 but the same concept applies to an LS1 etc.

I'm currently soaking the roller rockers in motor oil before installation. I've also picked up some Comp Cams assembly lube for them when I'm going to install them.

I just wanted to get some advice on where to apply the assembly lube? I'm assuming some assembly lube should be applied to the roller tip and the seat for the push rod. Should any assembly lube be slathered inside/on the sides of the roller rocker around the bearings?

Next, since I was told by the manufacturer that thread locker is fine to use on the rocker arm bolt, the threads will be dry so I want to confirm that the underside of the bolt head and the flat spot on the bottom of the rocker should be dry then too? The torque spec appears to be a "dry" torque spec. I'm not sure what the inside piece of the rocker is called (under the bolt head), but since it remains stationary during operation, should I ensure that the bottom of it is also dry along with the pedestal and pedestal guide when being torqued? Oil or assembly lube would decrease the friction between the surfaces and possibly result in movement over time?

Lastly, I have oil restricted push rods... what do you guys recommend doing to prime the push rods before firing up the engine again? I've read about people damaging their roller rockers because of inadequate lubrication the first time it is started.

Hopefully I'm not over thinking things... I just don't want to ruin a nice expensive set of roller rockers.

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Roller rocker installation questions...