C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery acid leak/damage?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2016, 06:39 PM
OkieBikerDude
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Battery acid leak/damage?

I usually put my battery maintainer (CTEK 3300) on my '02 -C5 as most of it's use is on the weekends. I had my previous battery, a Diehard Gold for 5 yrs. and 4 mos. and put in exactly the same battery 14 days ago just because of age. I took it out for a test run and all seemed OK with the new battery so I plugged in the CTEK (cigarette lighter socket) as usual and walked away.

Eight days later I pulled the car out for a little TLC and discovered a puddle of acid under the battery location. Closer examination reveled excessive fluid/acid had been coming out of the vent nearest the positive bolt/terminal. After removing the new battery and battery tray I proceeded to spread two boxes of baking soda and water on everything within 3' of the battery location. When I took the battery to Sears for testing, they heard the word "acid" and automatically gave me a new battery. Again, everything seems to be functioning fine but I'm at a loss as to the cause of this "disaster". I've not hooked up the CTEK but I'm having trouble believing it was the cause.

I'm sorry for rambling but I wanted the experts to have all of the info. All Thoughts are appreciated.

OBD
Old 04-02-2016, 07:13 PM
jim993
Drifting

Received 523 Likes on 334 Posts

The CTECH 3300 has a number of displays to tell you what it is doing. Check your manual for that information. You should be able to see whether it is operating properly after hooking it up.

I would monitor it for a time after hooking it up to the new battery to make sure it goes into pulse charge after the battery is fully charged and also confirm that output voltage is consistent with the fully charged output voltage listed in the manual.

If you no longer have the manual, it is available on line.
Old 04-02-2016, 10:36 PM
twostepdon
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Take the battery out of yor vette or another car, then hook up the battery charger for a few hours.
Old 04-02-2016, 11:37 PM
OkieBikerDude
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

I will check the CTEK manual for a possible explaination; However, I did notice the lights going from orange (charging) to green (charged) occasionally during the week preceding my discovery.

As to a test, I checked the service records for my wife's car and discovered her battery to be 4+ years old so I think I've found my "test mule".

Thanks for the comments.

OBD
Old 04-03-2016, 12:24 PM
bobby777
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

When you hook up your cteck--put a volt meter on and monitor the volts--see if it goes into float mode and what the volts are--your ctek might be faulty with excessive voltage-
Old 04-04-2016, 01:46 AM
OkieBikerDude
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by bobby777
When you hook up your cteck--put a volt meter on and monitor the volts--see if it goes into float mode and what the volts are--your ctek might be faulty with excessive voltage-

That's something I've not tried. When I noticed the CTEK was cycling between green and orange, I assumed all was well. I will check the voltage level when charging another battery. Hopefully this will vindicate the CTEK as it has worked perfectly for over 4 years.

OBD

Get notified of new replies

To Battery acid leak/damage?

Quick Reply: Battery acid leak/damage?