C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket stereo questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2016, 11:22 PM
Corvette-Dan
Drifting

Received 172 Likes on 101 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Default Aftermarket stereo questions

Had an aftermarket stereo installed. Doesn't sound like it is using the existing speaker amps. Although it sounds better and has features like USB and phone hook up it doesn't have the power of the stock radio. Is there a relatively simple solution outside of replacing everything else or returning to the stock head unit? Thoughts? Help please. I lack somewhat in car stereo knowledge. I can however do simple R&R or replace the stock radio. I did watch the installation and remember seeing that I could return to stock simply by plug and play per se.

Thanks

Dyver
Old 04-17-2016, 10:46 AM
pentavolvo
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

It may be how it was wired. I honestly recommend upgrading speakers and amp, can be done relatively cheap. Send me a PM I am in nwi and can help
Old 04-17-2016, 02:26 PM
GCG
Melting Slicks

Received 725 Likes on 577 Posts

As mentioned above, it may be the way it was wired.

To properly replace just the head unit leaving the rest of the system in place you will need an adapter (not just a harness) to provide the required interface. This is due to the way the factory system was designed.

The 2 most common adapters are:

1) Metra XSVI-2004
2) Pac Audio ROEM-VET1

Replacing the head unit should be just plug-and-play by using either one. Both have setup adjustments to customize sound/levels. After tweaking them to your liking, they shouldn't require further touching.

Do you know if one of these was used?
Old 04-17-2016, 03:52 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,081 Likes on 1,634 Posts

I put in a aftermarket single din and with the Bose system (I have) it could not use the tweeters and I could tell the difference. Now installing new 2 Din system from DD Mods, after I hear I will decide if I need to update speakers also ?????
Old 04-18-2016, 09:40 AM
CaseyJones
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16

New speakers are a must. My car had the Bose setup replaced with Alpine speakers all around and crossovers in the doors for the bass and tweeter separation. i have a single DIN JVC with all the bell and whistles and am really enjoying it. My next change when I get the big bucks is a double DIN with the console mod. But that will be a while. Some of these guys will drop a $K on their car without blinking but I have to scrimp and save.
Old 04-18-2016, 11:25 AM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,081 Likes on 1,634 Posts

Originally Posted by CaseyJones
New speakers are a must. My car had the Bose setup replaced with Alpine speakers all around and crossovers in the doors for the bass and tweeter separation. i have a single DIN JVC with all the bell and whistles and am really enjoying it. My next change when I get the big bucks is a double DIN with the console mod. But that will be a while. Some of these guys will drop a $K on their car without blinking but I have to scrimp and save.
Trust me Casey I am in the same boat, if it wasn't for a group buy I might not have my new system. Plus I had an aftermarket radio in my car so I didn't need all the accessories !!!!! I also just told Dennis at DD Mods what I wanted and what I could spend !!!!
Old 04-25-2016, 01:05 PM
Corvette-Dan
Drifting

Default harness adapter

I do not know if one of the above mentioned adapters was used. I do know that something was used. I remember him wiring the aftermarket stereo with a adapter and plugging that directly into the harness coming off the car. I wanted to be sure that a return to stock was easy and it looked like it. The other thing I recall is the tech looking for a hot so it would power up key on but power down once key was off, just like stock.
Old 04-25-2016, 04:23 PM
aj98
Melting Slicks

Received 168 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Dyver
I do not know if one of the above mentioned adapters was used. I do know that something was used. I remember him wiring the aftermarket stereo with a adapter and plugging that directly into the harness coming off the car. I wanted to be sure that a return to stock was easy and it looked like it. The other thing I recall is the tech looking for a hot so it would power up key on but power down once key was off, just like stock.
Different vehicle, but when I replaced the OEM radio in my Blazer, there were 2 different adapters, depending on the OEM sound system. One adapter for OEM Bose systems, one for non-Bose.

Door buzzers, chimes, onstar functions, to include phone, et al are routed through the radio and played back on the vehicle speakers. If the user wishes to retain those features with a non-OEM radio, then the appropriate bose/non-bose adapter needed to be installed.

IIRC, bose also uses a lower ohm speaker than most other companies, so the adapter may also adjust for that if the OEM speakers are still in play.

Last edited by aj98; 04-25-2016 at 04:25 PM.
Old 04-28-2016, 01:39 PM
Corvette-Dan
Drifting

I can answer my phone now with the new set up...
Old 04-28-2016, 09:41 PM
pentavolvo
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In IX Veteran

Most likely a Bose adopter wasn't used
Old 04-29-2016, 09:52 AM
aj98
Melting Slicks

Received 168 Likes on 137 Posts

the adapter I reference required no wire cutting/splicing on the car side required.
The OEM harness plugged in one side, the wires from the non OEM radio connected to the other.

Don't think I can post the link, so the radio came from crutchfield; the adapter was shown as a required item.
Old 04-29-2016, 10:28 AM
Corvette-Dan
Drifting

Can anybody share with me where to get the Bose adapter?
Old 04-29-2016, 11:27 AM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 463 Likes on 374 Posts

http://www.doubledmods.com/ ask for DENNIS
Old 04-29-2016, 08:15 PM
GCG
Melting Slicks

Received 725 Likes on 577 Posts

Check these links for more info
Old 04-30-2016, 05:07 PM
Corvette-Dan
Drifting

Does anybody know someone who can help in the Chicago area?
Old 04-30-2016, 10:19 PM
3ACROWD
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '12

I just upgraded.. It is a huge difference..

Old 04-30-2016, 10:26 PM
Corvette-Dan
Drifting

Is That where the Bose adapter goes? Do I need 2 then? Also I e-mailed Dennis at DD mods.

Get notified of new replies

To Aftermarket stereo questions

Old 05-01-2016, 06:03 PM
Corvette-Dan
Drifting

That's not my picture
Old 05-01-2016, 06:13 PM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 463 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
Looks like you replaced the door speakers. Did you also replace the rear speakers??

What speakers did you use????
Chuck I got the Kicker upgrade speakers from Double D...I live close to Kicker so I felt like should support them... they are a GREAT improvment over OEM but, still not the sound quality that I am used to... I sometimes wish I had gone with the Alpine upgrades instead I would think they would sound much better still... Don't know if Polk Audio makes plug and play replacements but, I SURE like their speakers!
Old 05-01-2016, 06:31 PM
pentavolvo
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In IX Veteran

Does anybody know someone who can help in the Chicago area?
I'm in Indiana 45 min from you

Quick Reply: Aftermarket stereo questions