C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

O2 sensors reading at different rates?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2016, 05:10 PM
nskyline34
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default O2 sensors reading at different rates?

So I've been working on fixing a lean condition after the mojave mile race and I ended up replacing the O2 sensors - now they read data at different rates though?? why? If I let it idle to check my BRAF table then the B1 O2 sensor has about 6644 data points, the B2 senor has 3322. Its always 1/2 (done 3 logs - every time its exactly 1/2 across the board).

Why would it do this? I assume that the O2 sensor is just a sensor, the cars computer is what says "I want to take a data point X times per second" so that means that no matter what O2's I use it should be even side to side right?
Old 04-18-2016, 09:15 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

What is a BRAF table?

I doubt it's the PCM, it's likely the sampling rate of whatever logging program you are using.
Old 04-19-2016, 12:26 AM
nskyline34
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Base Running Airflow.

I will check several previous logs. I never noticed it before - Logging program is HPTuners
Old 04-20-2016, 02:17 PM
strand rider
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 181 Posts

Thanks for posting this, it seems your questions might fill some gaps in my understanding, as I have sensors, but not the skill level to run speed contests, unless you count exploded motors as giving it a good try.

I became aware of these sensors on hot rod TV , to show you where I am coming from , They were freshening up a C5 and were pitching a tool with a diagnostic readout that displayed the wave form between the new and old parts. I instantly wanted new sensors and that read out tool.

Once the fever cleared, because the diagnostic tool was expensive , too much for my needs and skill level, I made a mental note to increase my understanding in this area.

Or I could just slap in new sensors and call it a day. I thought this was a viable option, and suggested it when the car was apart for the clutch . The service writer, didn't like adding new parts of unknown performance into the work, so I did it his way. I must say he had a minor point, although it primarily favored his goals. I long ago learned being a good customer is the preferred approach for both sides of the transaction, and more so when the car is apart, or food is being prepared.

With my somewhat low interest and experience in car repair , I sometimes feel like a little kid with a sand pail trying to hang with the big kids, but it is more fun than ignorance, I like to understand stuff, and this is easy learning.

Cliff notes, -------I will be interested in what you discover.

Last edited by strand rider; 04-20-2016 at 02:20 PM.
Old 04-20-2016, 03:14 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by lionelhutz
What is a BRAF table?

I doubt it's the PCM, it's likely the sampling rate of whatever logging program you are using.
I have EFI Live. I had somewhat of the same issue and I called a buddy. He came over, looked at the display did a few key strokes on the computer and WAHM,,,,,, The displays were reading the same sampling rate!

I have my own EFI Live BUT,,,, I HAVE PEOPLE that do my tuning! I do their electrical and mechanical fixen!

SO,,, in my case, the EFI Live was just not set up properly or should I say "Set up to read the same sampling rate between the two banks."

BC
Old 04-22-2016, 05:41 AM
strand rider
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
I have EFI Live. I had somewhat of the same issue and I called a buddy. He came over, looked at the display did a few key strokes on the computer and WAHM,,,,,, The displays were reading the same sampling rate!

I have my own EFI Live BUT,,,, I HAVE PEOPLE that do my tuning! I do their electrical and mechanical fixen!

SO,,, in my case, the EFI Live was just not set up properly or should I say "Set up to read the same sampling rate between the two banks."

BC
dang, I thought I was going to learn some air flow stuff.

Glad it will be easy for the poster.

Get notified of new replies

To O2 sensors reading at different rates?

Quick Reply: O2 sensors reading at different rates?