C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Left side of radio audio is out

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2016, 03:54 PM
flyboyslc1
Melting Slicks

Received 75 Likes on 45 Posts

Default Left side of radio audio is out

Hello to all, I did a search for this issue and came up empty so I thought I Would ask the group. I noticed that I was getting audio out of only the right side speakers. I checked the left and right balance and that was set to the center. A little while later, I drove over a big bump and the audio came back on again. Another bump and it was gone.

With the balance set on full left, I still do get a little audio out of the speaker. It sounds faint and tinny sounding. I am wondering if this is a wiring issue or a radio issue? I did check the door rubber wiring boots and that did not make any difference. Before I tear into the radio, are there any wiring checkpoints that are easily accessible that I could check. Any other ideas to solve this will be much appreciated.

Steve
Old 04-23-2016, 04:01 PM
Chris Edwards
Drifting

Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

If you still have the OE radio, it's the circuit board. Very common on GM radios of this vintage for one side to cut out. There are several outfits you can send it to, or buy a new one on eBay for $250, or go aftermarket.
Old 04-23-2016, 04:56 PM
flyboyslc1
Melting Slicks

Default Incomplete information

Originally Posted by lxcoupe
If you still have the OE radio, it's the circuit board. Very common on GM radios of this vintage for one side to cut out. There are several outfits you can send it to, or buy a new one on eBay for $250, or go aftermarket.
Thanks LXcoupe. I did a poor job of explaining my setup. I bought the car, 3rd owner. It is a 99 frc. The first owner pulled out the OE radio and replaced it with an Eclipse with an 8 disk changer in the trunk. Also two large speakers with two large capacitors and other related stuff back there too. I wish the guy had left it all alone.

Steve
Old 04-23-2016, 06:33 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

The stock front woofer speakers have spade lug push on connectors that may have come loose, or off. The "tinny" sound you're describing sounds like the tweeter is still working but the woofer is not.

I experienced this on my Hardtop a number of years ago. I squeezed it a bit to make it fit tighter and pushed it back on. Remove the door panel and check. Easy fix if that's the problem.

HTH

You can see the two woofer push-on connectors here. The subs fire outwards so that's the back of the speaker you see:

The following users liked this post:
flyboyslc1 (04-23-2016)
Old 04-23-2016, 07:24 PM
flyboyslc1
Melting Slicks

Default Like that Clinton picture

Originally Posted by LoneStarFRC
The stock front woofer speakers have spade lug push on connectors that may have come loose, or off. The "tinny" sound you're describing sounds like the tweeter is still working but the woofer is not.

I experienced this on my Hardtop a number of years ago. I squeezed it a bit to make it fit tighter and pushed it back on. Remove the door panel and check. Easy fix if that's the problem.

HTH

You can see the two woofer push-on connectors here. The subs fire outwards so that's the back of the speaker you see:

Thanks LoneStar. Looks like I need to find a video on how to pull the door panel. Think I can do that. Also, get a charge out of seeing that Clinton picture every time!
Old 04-24-2016, 08:07 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

Here is the door panel info:

http://www.vetteessentials.com/instr...or_handle.html

Mr. Sam
Old 04-30-2016, 03:34 PM
flyboyslc1
Melting Slicks

Default LoneStar rocks!!!

Originally Posted by LoneStarFRC

HTH

LoneStar, you nailed this one perfectly. Your analysis was spot on. It is a cold rainy day here in Iowa and I decided to remove the door panel and found exactly what you described. The bottom push on terminal had worked its way to the bottom of the spade terminal and was no longer connected. Thanks Dadaroo for your help in getting the door panel off. I did find something I think from Corvette Essentials that also described how to get the door panel off. The video had some info that could have been better. For one thing, there is no reason to remove the electrical window switch. The wire terminal can easily be removed once the panel is off the door. Also, the video description of removing the door bezel is not too good. Rather than prying off the whole thing, there are two small slots at top and bottom, and if you insert a flat screwdriver it makes it easy to pop this piece out. Everytime you pry on plastic you risk breaking it. I did break one of the six attachment pin mounts out of the door panel and epoxied that back together.

Great info on the forum! I salute you LoneStar!!!

steve
Old 04-30-2016, 04:47 PM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 463 Likes on 374 Posts

Nice ... thanks for posting your results... Lonestar and dadaroo are some of the best on the forum ... follow their post and learn.
Old 04-30-2016, 07:58 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Thanks Steve, glad to help.

Get notified of new replies

To Left side of radio audio is out

Quick Reply: Left side of radio audio is out