C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

99 C5 upgrade advice .. thinking Z intake & Cam?

Old 04-29-2016, 05:47 AM
Brit dex
Pro

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

Default 99 C5 upgrade advice .. thinking Z intake & Cam?

HI all
I've got a 1999 C5 Vert auto..
and over the years done some various upgrading..
on Engine system its been CAI 80mm BBK throttle body , then full custom exhaust.. Diablo Tune..

so.. had been thinking of an SC .. but I'm in the UK and by the time they get here, its very big money, and also will no doubt lead to needed upgrades to other components ( gearbox, diff etc etc)
I'm looking into some fairly straight forward stuff I could do, that's less money, and what sort of payback it would be..

So from what I can gather a good one for example for a 99 car is an:

>> LS6 intake ... gives about 12 - 17 HP? ( std on later models I believe but no pre 2000?) $300 / $400 area?
I have got a chance to get a second hand one over here complete with LS6 throttle body and injectors etc... is this worth doing?
Is the LS6 throttle body better than my BBK 80mm?

>> what about an Z06 cam? is it just fit and go? worth doing?

>> my 80mm Throttle body.. will a bigger one be worth doing?

any other ideas say for a budget of up to a total of $1.5k area? mainly for parts..

thanks

Last edited by Brit dex; 04-29-2016 at 06:57 AM.
Old 04-29-2016, 06:28 AM
helga203
Safety Car

Received 434 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by Brit dex
HI all
I've got a 1999 C5 Vert auto..
and over the years done some various upgrading..
on Engine system its been CAI 80mm BBK throttle body , then full custom exhaust.. Diablo Tune..

so.. had been thinking of an SC .. but I'm in the UK and by the time they get here, its very big money, and also will no doubt lead to needed upgrades to other components ( gearbox, diff etc etc)
I'm looking into some fairly straight forward stuff I could do, that's less money, and what sort of payback it would be..

So from what I can gather a good one for example for a 99 car is an:

>> LS6 intake ... gives about 12 - 17 HP? ( std on later models I believe but no pre 2000?) $300 / $400 area?
I have got a chance to get a second hand one over here complete with LS6 throttle body and injectors etc... is this worth doing?
Is the LS6 throttle body better than my BBK 80mm?

>> what about an Z06 cam? is it just fit and go? worth doing?

>> my 80mm Throttle body.. will a bigger one be worth doing?

any other ideas say for a budget of up to a total of $1.5k area?

thanks
Are you doing the work or are you paying for someone to do it ???
Old 04-29-2016, 06:37 AM
Brit dex
Pro

Originally Posted by helga203
Are you doing the work or are you paying for someone to do it ???
I will get someone to do it.. I am lucky to have some guys locally who love and have owned C5's and get mates rates!! If I don't time pressure them..
Old 04-29-2016, 01:54 PM
enoniam
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 46 Posts

I'd definitely get a cam bigger than a Z06.
Old 04-29-2016, 03:27 PM
CaseyJones
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16

For a driver car the Z06 cam is a good choice in a basically stock LS1. I'd use the Z06 parts you mentioned but you should change out the lifters, valve springs, oil pump, and timing chain set as part of the package. That should give you a good running and driving car with plenty of grunt when you need it. The Z06 throttle body is either 75mm or 78mm, I think as reports vary, so you can reuse your 80mm TB if you prefer. Some computer tuning will probably be required to get it running its best.
Old 04-30-2016, 05:33 AM
Brit dex
Pro

Originally Posted by enoniam
I'd definitely get a cam bigger than a Z06.
I did think about that, but thought that would need other upgrades of the stock LS1 and Auto trans?
Old 04-30-2016, 05:43 AM
Brit dex
Pro

Originally Posted by CaseyJones
For a driver car the Z06 cam is a good choice in a basically stock LS1. I'd use the Z06 parts you mentioned but you should change out the lifters, valve springs, oil pump, and timing chain set as part of the package. That should give you a good running and driving car with plenty of grunt when you need it. The Z06 throttle body is either 75mm or 78mm, I think as reports vary, so you can reuse your 80mm TB if you prefer. Some computer tuning will probably be required to get it running its best.
thanks Casey ... Yep that all sounds good.. I think keeping the BBK is the way to go in that case.. wasn't sure what size the Z one was..

the parts you mention, do these come as a complete kit from somewhere?
I'm over in the UK so going to have to look at sourcing from here, and
hopefully get everything from the same place and complete..

and that's my aim.. to have a bit more grunt from basically the same set up with few tweaks...and hopefully this will compliment the mods I've done already.. If I could gain some noticeable grunt and HP

I know when I did the Exhaust system and intake etc.. it was like a different car!
Old 05-03-2016, 09:22 AM
Brit dex
Pro

Hi all
slight update on this and advice and guidance would be really appreciated..
I have a real chance now of getting a the below ( I'm in the UK so these don't come up often!)

Complete LS6 Intake manifold. Included is
the intake manifold,
fuel rail,
fuel injectors,
sensors

Obviously want to put it on my 99 LS1..... Question is >
are the Fuel rails, injectors, sensors etc all upgraded for this over my current or do I just need the intake manifold..?

and just fit and go? for either of the above options?

thanks
Old 05-03-2016, 11:48 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

The 2001-2004 Intake Manifold is the SAME as the LS6 Manifold. EVERYTHING on your engine/ OEM Manifold will fit the LS6/ 2001-2004 manifold. Its all the same. The ZO6 injectors are/may be a little bigger. IF, you change injectors, you will need to Change the injector tables in the PCM for the engine to work properly. With all the changes that you are making, it would be highly recommended to have the PCM re-tuned to get the best performance and fuel economy from your mods. You have a Automatic so, tuning the PCM to optimize your transmission shift points and other performance features will make a SIGNIFICANT DIFFERENCE in the way your car drives.

Most cams that make a significant bump in performance will REQUIRE TUNING and some require a higher stall speed torque converter. If your NOT ready to make those mods, be happy with what you have.

The ZO6 cam WILL NOT make that much difference in the performance BECAUSE, you don't have the performance heads and added compression that the LS6 has to take advantage of the different cam specs. In the end, (IMHO) it most likely wont be worth all the effort to install an OEM ZO6 cam.

I have a recommended solution for your remote tuning needs if you are interested Just PM ME.

HOWEVER, That being said, You have some pluming below the intake manifold that you will need to do some minor modifications to (bending) The Steam Vent Cross Over Piping below the manifold needs to be massaged to sit BELOW the bolts that secure the Valve Valley Cover to the top of the block. Otherwise the piping will contact the under side of the new manifold.

1997 - 2000 Steam Cross Over piping:

You have to MASSAGE the piping BELOW the tall bolt heads on the valve valley cover plate.

Bill
The following users liked this post:
Brit dex (05-03-2016)
Old 05-03-2016, 11:55 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

The ZO6 and ALL 2001-2004 DOES NOT have that piping below the manifold.

2001 under the intake manifold. NO PIPING!

Get notified of new replies

To 99 C5 upgrade advice .. thinking Z intake & Cam?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 99 C5 upgrade advice .. thinking Z intake & Cam?