C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auxiliary imput on radio

Old 04-30-2016, 11:36 PM
Brucebo
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auxiliary imput on radio

Is it possible to hook up an imput from let's say a iPod phone etc to my factory am/fmcd aux switch in my 97?
Old 05-01-2016, 09:18 AM
Brucebo
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, that was not what I was looking for. However it is an option I had not considered, I was hoping there was a plug & play option since the radio has an aux button.
Old 05-01-2016, 11:45 AM
smartadze
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Brucebo
Thanks, that was not what I was looking for. However it is an option I had not considered, I was hoping there was a plug & play option since the radio has an aux button.
It takes an aftermarket converter (PXDX) that provides the interface and plugs into the stock wiring harness. One type replaces the remote cd changer (if you have this option) in the rear storage compartment. Easy to find the wires, and you can sell the cd changer on eBay and make money.

The other type requires removal of the factory radio unit and plugging the harness into the back.

For charging, go to Amazon and get a $5 DC power converter (12v to whatever your player uses, e.g., 5v) and wire on a spare plug to fit your player. Wire it into the turn-on circuit using either the electric antenna wires (if using the cd-changer replacement, right-rear side trunk area under carpet) or the radio power (if using the behind-radio harness).

Better yet, ditch the GD player and just replace the factory head unit with a simple and cheap single-DIN modern unit. They now make simple units that have no cd player, and thus are only 3" deep and easy-peasy to mount and wire. In addition to an AUX input, these have a front USB port, and will accept up to a 128 GB flash drive with your entire collection on it, and play it seamlessly using any option from shuffle to alphabetical order etc. Also has Bluetooth and a microphone, answers your phone and etc etc etc. A simple $30 interface allows you to hook it all up to the factory Bose system too (PLUS add an aftermarket amp and speakers too). Go to Crutchfield and see. I just put in a super-nice JVC with all harnesses, C5-specific faceplate, and Bose adapter for just over $100. NO removal of anything (it's 3" deep) and it mounts simply to the faceplate itself (no brackets etc).

The Crutchfield single-DIN faceplate adapters look pretty good too - not as good as a Double-D double-DIN mod but then again the single kit is $15. EDIT: If all you want is music (including Sirius XM etc) and Bluetooth, then this is the way to go. If you want to watch DVD movies and/or navigate then a double-DIN is much much more work and 3 to 5 times the expense.

Last edited by smartadze; 05-01-2016 at 12:00 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Brucebo (05-01-2016)
Old 05-01-2016, 03:35 PM
GCG
Melting Slicks

Received 725 Likes on 577 Posts

Originally Posted by Brucebo
Perhaps this other way?
The following users liked this post:
Brucebo (05-02-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To Auxiliary imput on radio

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Auxiliary imput on radio