C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting Rid of Fuel in Tank

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 11:07 AM
MGMTF
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting Rid of Fuel in Tank

Well I know I am going to get hell for this, but after driving my truck all winter and constantly filling it with 87, my mind went into full autonomous mode last night and I managed to put a tank full of 87 in my C5. Didn't even realize it till I looked at the receipt and was wondering why the total was so cheap.

Of course I had to drive an hour away so I took it real easy (under 2000 rpm, little throttle) for the trip. It was fine, but I need it out of there. The car is getting tuned on a week and I don't even want a hint of 87 left. What's the best way to get it all out without pulling the tanks?

Oh and on top of that, as I was driving my fuel gauge dropped to zero, which I've fixed in the past with techron but it doesn't help that now I don't know how much is left. Thanks for any help, I feel like an idiot.
Old 05-02-2016, 12:18 PM
MGMTF
Advanced

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
Have you tried using the reset button to reset the fuel gauge? It works in many instances.

You could try to drain the two tanks. One way to do that would be to disconnect the fuel line, perhaps at the fuel filter, install a rubber hose at the disconnect point and run it into a recovery container(s). Then jumper the fuel pump relay to allow the pump to run and turn the key to ON. Lots of issues to contend with doing that. Battery will likely get drained down before the near 18 gallons in the two tanks is gone, containers to hold 18 gallons of gas, gas fumes, spillage, etc.

I personally would prefer to drive off the fuel....
I would also prefer to drive off the fuel, just not sure if I have time to drive for 6 hours this week lol.

I thought about pumping it out but I also heard if you run the pump dry it's hard to get it primed again.
Old 05-02-2016, 02:13 PM
3sACROWD
Melting Slicks

Received 446 Likes on 328 Posts

Drain the left side tank "the old fashion" way and put that fuel into your truck. Now you have half the fuel to burn. Then if you're so inclined, run the car a bit to re-level the tanks and repeat the left tank drain. Now you're roughly at 1/4 the fuel.

Me personally, I might do the drain the left tank scenario once then put some octane boost in the tank while using up the rest of the gas if you're worried about 87 octane affecting your tune.

Last edited by 3sACROWD; 05-02-2016 at 02:13 PM.
Old 05-02-2016, 02:18 PM
MGMTF
Advanced

Bet there are some neighborhood teenagers that would love to solve that problem for you....
I am sure haha.
Originally Posted by 3sACROWD
Drain the left side tank "the old fashion" way and put that fuel into your truck. Now you have half the fuel to burn. Then if you're so inclined, run the car a bit to re-level the tanks and repeat the left tank drain. Now you're roughly at 1/4 the fuel.

Me personally, I might do the drain the left tank scenario once then put some octane boost in the tank while using up the rest of the gas if you're worried about 87 octane affecting your tune.
I thought about siphoning off the left tank, but will it pull from the right tank if the left is empty?
Old 05-02-2016, 02:29 PM
MGMTF
Advanced

That is how I understood it, thanks. So would leaving say a gallon in the left tank be sufficient for it to still jet siphon the fuel out of the right and after some driving fill the left completely again?

Also I did hit the reset button, but all it did was get rid of the "Low Fuel" DIC message. Gauge still read 0 and "Check Gauges" was still on. Is there another type of reset you were talking about?
Old 05-02-2016, 02:33 PM
photonhunter
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

Is there a reason that you couldn't reschedule the tune?
That would seem to be the easiest solution.

dan k.
Old 05-02-2016, 02:38 PM
MGMTF
Advanced

Originally Posted by photonhunter
Is there a reason that you couldn't reschedule the tune?
That would seem to be the easiest solution.

dan k.
Yes, tuner is only in town for 3 days. It is a guy a local shop uses exclusively and he comes up from the south somewhere a few times a year.
Old 05-02-2016, 03:52 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,261 Likes on 1,056 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

I would just jump the fuel pump relay and let it pump the gas out as suggested above... it won't get 100% of it out but will get dang close, enough to fill it with 93 and the amount of 87 left should not have an effect on octane... if your truck is low on gas just run a hose straight from the feed line into your trucks gas fill that way you don't need big containers to hold the fuel and less risk of causing a mess... either way gas will evaporate so I wouldn't worry about that too much... if the battery runs low just put a tender on it for awhile then repeat the process until you get enough of it out
Old 05-02-2016, 04:00 PM
RedRiderZR1
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

Or just go buy some octane booster.
Old 05-02-2016, 04:12 PM
MGMTF
Advanced

I have seen the gauge return to normal operation when the reset button was used while driving the car. (My buddies 99 while I was a passenger) I have also read that the reset does NOT always return the gauge to operation. What codes do you have? There are different codes depending upon which sensor (drivers side or passenger side) is the problem....
Haven't pulled the codes for the level sensors yet, I will take a look.
Originally Posted by neutron82
I would just jump the fuel pump relay and let it pump the gas out as suggested above... it won't get 100% of it out but will get dang close, enough to fill it with 93 and the amount of 87 left should not have an effect on octane... if your truck is low on gas just run a hose straight from the feed line into your trucks gas fill that way you don't need big containers to hold the fuel and less risk of causing a mess... either way gas will evaporate so I wouldn't worry about that too much... if the battery runs low just put a tender on it for awhile then repeat the process until you get enough of it out
So take the line off the fuel rail you think?
Originally Posted by RedRiderZR1
Or just go buy some octane booster.
Never had faith in additive stuff like that, especially considering on a full tank it wont really mix into the passenger side very well.
Old 05-02-2016, 04:18 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,261 Likes on 1,056 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by MGMTF
So take the line off the fuel rail you think?
that's what I would do... either take it off from the rail or take the line off from the firewall, whichever you prefer... then slip a hose over the end and use a worm clamp to hold it tight and the other end in your trucks gas tank then jump the relay... you could pop the rail off and drain that as well but there isn't much in it
Old 05-02-2016, 05:24 PM
MGMTF
Advanced

Originally Posted by neutron82
that's what I would do... either take it off from the rail or take the line off from the firewall, whichever you prefer... then slip a hose over the end and use a worm clamp to hold it tight and the other end in your trucks gas tank then jump the relay... you could pop the rail off and drain that as well but there isn't much in it
I may get some hose to try that. Unfortunately I am not at home with all my normal tools currently, but should be before the tune.
Old 05-03-2016, 08:49 AM
3sACROWD
Melting Slicks

Received 446 Likes on 328 Posts

Originally Posted by MGMTF
I am sure haha.

I thought about siphoning off the left tank, but will it pull from the right tank if the left is empty?
Don't drain it till it is 100% empty.
Old 05-11-2016, 01:57 PM
MGMTF
Advanced

Just as a future reference for anyone else I ended up doing what neutron82 suggested. Jumped the relay and just left the key on. Also hooked up a battery charger to make sure the battery didn't die but it didn't take all that long to do so it probably wasn't necessary. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Get notified of new replies

To Getting Rid of Fuel in Tank

Quick Reply: Getting Rid of Fuel in Tank