C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Abs/traction control/no seat belt/no fuel/high temp/no oil pressure help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 10:43 PM
J0000stin
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Abs/traction control/no seat belt/no fuel/high temp/no oil pressure help!

reading around I can't find a solution. Burin haven driven the vette in 2 weeks. Finally got a chance to drive her and all errors on the dash come up. No abs, no traction control, no seat belt, high coolant temp, no oil pressure, no fuel, etc. the security light came on while driving too of that means anything. I'm gunna check out the battery tomorrow but strange thing is that my alternator gauge is still working properly.

Any help is greatly Appreciated!
Old 05-03-2016, 04:50 AM
fasttoney
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Load test your battery. Check voltage at battery when car is off, again with it on. Pull your dic codes. Write them down, clear the dic codes. If still exist. Pull codes when you stop the car, without turning off engine. Post back your codes. Also, send info on your car. Auto, manual, etc.
Old 05-03-2016, 12:07 PM
J0000stin
Intermediate

10-PCM
28-TCS
49-BCM
60-IPC
80-RADIO
99-HVAC
A0-LDCM
A1-RDCM

12.3v when the car isn't running

It's a 98 manual non z
Old 05-03-2016, 12:19 PM
J0000stin
Intermediate

10-PCM no comm.
28-TCS no comm.
49-BCM no comm.
60-IPC no comm.
80-RADIO no comm.
99-HVAC no comm.
A0-LDCM no comm.
A1-RDCM no comm.

No communication through all sensors. I used a multimeter through the posts and just noticed my security light is on and my windows roll up and down sometimes.
Old 05-03-2016, 12:31 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

BROTHER,,,, You have a SERIAL DATA BUSS issue!

Is your BCM WET or is the carpet or carpet underlayment wet in the passengers foot well. You need to check!!!

The BCM WILL NOT FUNCTION if it gets wet/damp! That can/ WILL cause all those issues!!

There is another issues that can cause this.. Open BOTH DOORS. Grab the rubber accordion tube between the doors and SHAKE THE CRAP out of it. If that fixes the issue, let us know and we will tell you how to fix it.

Bill
Old 05-03-2016, 12:41 PM
J0000stin
Intermediate

Carpets are completely dry. Took the rubber boot off and shook the cables and nothing. Still having the same issue.

also, car car runs and drives fine. radio cuts in and out though

Last edited by J0000stin; 05-03-2016 at 12:44 PM.
Old 05-03-2016, 12:51 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

WELL,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, You still have a serial data issue.. Just have to figure out why and how...

Theres a very thin set of connectors to the left of the BCM. Find the one with FOUR WIRES and pop the top of the connector OFF and remove the shorting buss. Turn the ignition on and back off and on again and see if you regain normal IPC functions.

You will still have NO COMMS for the LDCM, RDCM and SCM while the top is off the connector
Old 05-03-2016, 12:53 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

LOL! Great minds think alike! :r ock:
Old 05-03-2016, 01:28 PM
fasttoney
Racer

Im learning from both of you guys. Lol. The masters at work.
Old 05-03-2016, 01:34 PM
J0000stin
Intermediate

i noticed the problem last night, when i drove the car today everything seemed to be working properly and then abs/tcs kicked on and it started acting funny again
Old 05-03-2016, 02:28 PM
J0000stin
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
Seems like the two obvious choice are ignore the symptoms and hope for the best or take some of the steps suggested above to try and narrow down what is happening. Your call............
the problem is still persisting so im going to try and diagnose the problem when i get off of work. this is my first vette so there are a lot of acronyms i have to decipher when reading posts haha. but first i'll check the connections and see if there is any corrosion around the terminals.
Old 05-03-2016, 03:47 PM
rrwirsi
Melting Slicks

Received 1,216 Likes on 776 Posts

Here are some more abbreviations that I have been acculturating since owning the Vette and being a member on the forum. It is a list in progress.

BCM
Body Control Module. It is a computer that controls or interfaces with all the body functions and communicates with all the other modules/computers in the car. BCM is one of the 11 DTC-sections.

DIC
Driver Information Centre. It's the small screen behind the steering wheel that says "Corvette... by Chevrolet" and that shows you what's wrong, if anything.

DRL's
Daytime running lights. An in-between to not having lights on at all and popping up your regular lights.

DTC
Diagnostic Trouble Code. To fetch them, turn your car's key to 'on', reset all DIC messages by hitting button #6, then hold button #4 and hit button #1 four times. Now you can write down the DTC's, if present.

EBTCM
Electronic Brake & Traction Control Module. This is a module or computer, 1997-1998 situated underneath the trunk of the car, after that in the engine compartment, that governs ABS as well as traction control. Thanks @LoneStarFRC for the correction.

ESC
Electronic Suspension Control. It's a module that does as its name suggests.

FOB
Actually this is not an abbreviation but it may still be good to have in this list. A key fob is the little transmitter / receiver that you use to open / close the car, set the alarm etc.

FRC
Fixed roof coupe, this being the hardtop version of a C5. The abbreviation also stands for 'fuel rail cover' and, as if we could forget, also for 'Flying Roof Club'. You'll become a member automatically upon having your coupe roof fly through the air due to it not being fastened. Thanks @ronwc for this contribution.

HUD
Head-up display. Option available as of late '99. The car's speed and other variables are projected on your windshield. To install, see here.

HVAC
Heater, Ventilator, Airconditioning. If you have a HVAC-code, it has something to do with either your heater, ventilator or airco. HVAC is one of the 11 DTC-sections.

IPC
Instrument Panel Cluster. It contains all instruments and the DIC. IPC is one of 11 DTC-sections.

LMC5
An aftermarket module that, once installed, fixes or prevents column lock failures.

LDCM
Left door control module. This is the module or computer that controls everything related to the left door. LDCM is one of 11 DTC-sections.

MAF
Mass Air Flow. A sensor that tells the computer in your car info about airflow prior to entering the throttle body. It is the device between the air filter housing and the flat tube that connects to the engine at the throttle body. It has a wiring connection that runs back to the engine.

OBDII
On-Board Diagnostics II. System to read and diagnose DTC's. To connect to a C5's OBDII, you need to connect a Tech II (or another type of) scanner to the car's OBDII-port. The connector is located underneath the IPC.

OEM
Original Equipment Manufacturer. If someone tells you to buy OEM parts, he means original GM stuff made specifically for your C5.

PCM
Powertrain Control Module. It is the computer that controls the engine. It is designed to maintain exhaust emission levels while maintaining drivability and fuel efficiency. Functions: fuel control, ignition control, knock sensor system, automatic transmission shift functions, certain manual transmission parts, cruise control enable, generator, evaporate emission purge, air-conditioning clutch control, cooling fan control and secondary air injection. PCM is one of 11 DTC-sections.

RDCM
Right door control module. This is the module or computer that controls everything related to the right door. RDCM is one of 11 DTC-sections.

RFA
Remote function actuation. This module controls the receipt of FOB signals. RFA is one of 11 DTC-sections.

RPO
Regular Production Option. Check your Corvette's factory-built options in the left storing space lid in the back of your C5.

RTD
Real-time damping. This was an RPO for C5's that served to enhance suspension (special shock absorbers, sensors and a console mounted selector with choices of Tour, Sport and Performance.

SCM
Seat control module. It is a module or computer that controls the driver seat. SCM is one of 11 DTC-sections.

SWPS
Steering Wheel Position Sensor.

TCS
Traction Control System. This system, based on the same principles as ABS but used vice-versa, improves traction of the wheels. TCS is one of 11 DTC-sections.

TDR
THEFT DETERRENT RELAY! (TDR) Look in the passengers foot well... Remove the toe board that covers the fuse panel/BCM. On the fire wall, above the BCM will be some relays. Different numbers for different years.

The relay with FOUR WIRES is the TDR. The wire colors are: Purple, Red, Yellow and Yellow Black Stripe.

TPMS
Tire pressure monitoring system. This module checks whether your tires have correct pressure. If an error is encountered, you'll see a warning in the DIC.

Z51
A Corvette with special performance and handling package.
The following 2 users liked this post by rrwirsi:
danny99 (05-03-2016), popshumphrey (05-04-2016)
Old 05-03-2016, 04:49 PM
J0000stin
Intermediate

checked the bcm on my break and there is no corrosion around plugs and is dry around the area. im going to pull the bcm out when i get off and physically check the connections to see if there could be some possible corrosion that i may have missed. is it a possibility that the bcm just went bad?
Old 05-03-2016, 07:26 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by J0000stin
checked the bcm on my break and there is no corrosion around plugs and is dry around the area. im going to pull the bcm out when i get off and physically check the connections to see if there could be some possible corrosion that i may have missed. is it a possibility that the bcm just went bad?
Anything is possible but many of us who have dealt with this VERY ISSUE have very personal experiences with the BCM. It is NOT a plug and Play module and oif you pop for a new BCM, you may need to have the stealership program in any ROP codes that you may have. You can do a SYNC procedure to the PCM and it will allow the engine to run.

Most time IF the BCM get wet and wet over a period of time with POWER flowing through it, the circuit board will get a white corrosion on it and cause all sorts of issues.

SEE PIC of corrosion on pins on lower right side of board:

It does NOT take much to cause issues...

BC

Last edited by Bill Curlee; 05-03-2016 at 07:28 PM.
Old 05-03-2016, 08:53 PM
J0000stin
Intermediate

of course i unplugged the negative before taking out the bcm haha. but i just took the bcm apart and took off the plugs on the side and there arent and wet spots or corrosion anywhere around the plugs or bcm. here pics to see if i may have looked over anything.

Old 05-03-2016, 10:15 PM
J0000stin
Intermediate

just checked the alternator through the battery when the car was running at initial start up it was jumping around from 0.25v to 14.4 volts but when idling was steady from 14.2-14.4v so the alternator are still good. i wouldn't think the battery would go bad seeing as how it was replaced at 09/14.

im stumped

Last edited by J0000stin; 05-03-2016 at 10:15 PM.
Old 05-04-2016, 12:20 AM
CactusCat
Melting Slicks

Received 209 Likes on 156 Posts

Where are you located J0000stin? Maybe there is some member close to you that might be of some assistance...

Get notified of new replies

To Abs/traction control/no seat belt/no fuel/high temp/no oil pressure help!

Old 05-04-2016, 01:07 AM
J0000stin
Intermediate

I must have read that wrong, I thought it said to unplug and replug. Will try again tomorrow thanks!
Old 05-04-2016, 01:08 AM
J0000stin
Intermediate

I'm located in San Jose, ca
Old 05-04-2016, 05:13 AM
fasttoney
Racer

Hang in the J0000stin, you got some heavy hitter on yoyr side helping you.

Quick Reply: Abs/traction control/no seat belt/no fuel/high temp/no oil pressure help!