C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tpms changeout price

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2016, 01:53 PM
David Shiel
Drifting

Received 138 Likes on 81 Posts
Default Tpms changeout price

UPDATE: SEE LAST POST BY ME ON THIS THREAD

So, to avoid all the hassle and expense of replacing the sensors, for which I have had absolutely no use since getting rid of the noisy, hard riding run-flats, I with the help of a forum friend's TECH II, programmed the TPM system out in less than 5 minutes. That is one slick tool! Be sure to deactivate both the TPMS and TPMS DTC screens when they display on the TECH II. Can be done only on 2001-2004 models.

Having ridden motorcycles most all my life, I am in the habit of inspecting my tires before I drive and checking and adjusting cold tire pressures weekly. One can easily feel a conventional tire going flat, and if one were to blow suddenly, the TPMS would be useless anyway. TPMS might be good for the uninitiated transportation only set!
BUT, be sure to keep a close eye on tire condition and pressure and do not drive on RUN FLATS without the TPMS activated and working.

It is great not any longer seeing that annoying DIC warning!
Dave

Thanks , all for your input and assistance.

So , the best price I can find to switch out 4 of them with Schrader is $400 installed and programmed. Geez!

One store NTB told me they have a lot of trouble programming, so I crossed them off as incompetent and they wanted $480.00.
Wish I knew someone with a TECH II in my area , as it seems on the '02 one can program the TPMS out.

Any suggestions.on parts or procedures that may save a few bux?
Dave

Last edited by David Shiel; 05-23-2016 at 05:05 PM.
Old 05-05-2016, 03:18 PM
SG Lou
Safety Car

Received 486 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by David Shiel
So , the best price I can find to switch out 4 of them with Schrader is $400 installed and programmed. Geez!

One store NTB told me they have a lot of trouble programming, so I crossed them off as incompetent and they wanted $480.00.
Wish I knew someone with a TECH II in my area , as it seems on the '02 one can program the TPMS out.

Any suggestions.on parts or procedures that may save a few bux?
Dave
Go online and do some shopping. You can come up with way cheaper prices. Schrader is the OEM supplier to GM.
Buy the 4 sensors, take them to get them installed and you do the programing.

You can program them yourself with a good strong magnet and the DIC :

Programming TPM Sensors

Tool Required

Tire Pressure Monitor (TPM) System Programming Tool Tire Pressure Monitor (TPM) System Programmer
(TPM System Programming Tool means "magnet" to ordinary C5 owners!)

Important: Make sure the vehicle has been stationary for at least 2 minutes before attempting to program the TPM sensors.

1. Turn the ignition to ON.

2. Press the RESET button in order to clear any IPC display warning messages.

3. Press and release the OPTIONS button on the DIC to scroll through the display options until the IPC display is blank.

4. Press and hold the DIC RESET button for 3 seconds.

5. Press the OPTIONS button again until the TIRE TRAINING message appears.

Notice: If the TIRE TRAINING message cannot be displayed, and the IPC is functioning properly, check if the BCM is configured with the correct RPO codes. Refer to BCM Programming/RPO configuration.

6. Press the RESET button until the IPC LEARN L FRONT TIRE message appears in order to begin the programming sequence.

7. Install the J 41760 Tire Pressure Monitor (TPM) System Programming Tool over the left front valve stem.

8. The horn will sound, indicating the left front TPM sensor is programmed.

Important: If the horn does not sound after 15 seconds, remove then reinstall the TPM sensor programming tool. This procedure may have to be attempted up to three times in some instances.

When the horn sounds, proceed to program the next TPM sensor in the following order as directed by the IPC messages

- LEARN R FRONT TIRE

- LEARN R REAR TIRE

- LEARN L REAR TIRE

Programming Cancellation

1. The programming mode will be cancelled if any of the following conditions are met

- The program mode is exited through the DIC.

- The ignition is turned to OFF.

- All four sensors have been programmed.

- The TPM system has been in the program mode for longer than 2 minutes and no sensors have been learned.

2. If the program mode is cancelled with less than four codes stored, the receiver will only accept the codes programmed up to that point.

Last edited by SG Lou; 05-05-2016 at 03:24 PM.
The following users liked this post:
David Shiel (05-07-2016)
Old 05-05-2016, 04:08 PM
SG Lou
Safety Car

Received 486 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
You should be able to get the actual TPMS for about $40 each shipped (check amazon for schrader 20117). You should be able to find a local tire store to dismount, break down, install TPMS and remount for about $10 per wheel. You need a magnet ( less than $10 at Home Depot) and use the steps in the previous post to program the TPMS yourself. In fact you can program them BEFORE you have them installed to know they are working. Just mark each TPMS as to which wheel it will go into and tell the tire shop to install according to your marking.

All told it should cost you under $225 (for 2001 - 2004 C5 TPMS).......... (4x40 + 4x10 + 10).
WHAT HE SAID

I was going to list places and prices but i didn't want to upset anyone or break any rules............
David Shiel (05-07-2016)
Old 05-06-2016, 08:13 PM
Cutlassmaster
Burning Brakes

Received 107 Likes on 84 Posts

Rockauto has 4 of them shipped for $136 with 5% discount. Thats where i bought mine for the upgrade to the newer sensors. Chris
David Shiel (05-07-2016)
Old 05-07-2016, 08:32 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

David, just saw this post. Will call you, I have a Tech 2.

Mr. Sam
David Shiel (05-07-2016)
Old 05-07-2016, 11:48 AM
David Shiel
Drifting

Default Thanks, Mr. Sam

Originally Posted by dadaroo
David, just saw this post. Will call you, I have a Tech 2.

Mr. Sam
You da man. Enjoyed talking with you as always.
Will program them out when you get around to sending over the TECH II.
This is just input to others who may find themselves in my situation. The primary value of the TPMS accrues when one has run flats, as it alerts to flat condition on the stiffer side wall RFs.
I, personally, would not run them; too noisy and harsh riding for me. I check my tires weekly to 30 PSI digital and also sure as heck know when a tire is going down. I have road service, plugs, small jack, Fix-a Flat(last resort), wrenches and compressor on board and a spare in my garage for local use . So, the TPMS is not really of great concern to me. My Conti Xtreme Contacts and chrome C6 wheels are new and run out perfectly, so messing with them is not the most desirable choice, even though they would not need to be completely demounted.

So, for those reasons programming the TPMS out of the BCM is the most desirable to me .

FYI. Even though I won't go this way,I did find new Schraders for $40.00 each and would be able to easily program them per info provided here. I have a magnet I used to retrieve overboard keys and such at my dock many years ago. So the cost would be in the $200 to $230 range with the tire shop added in. Not bad at all.

I'll let all know the outcome of the deprogramming.

And thanks to all, especially to Mr. Sam who lives just about 90 miles up the big road. He has helped out a lot and taught me much about the C5 electronics. Great guy and he likes a beer and a good cigar, too!
Dave

Last edited by David Shiel; 05-07-2016 at 11:55 AM. Reason: Sp.
Old 05-08-2016, 10:50 AM
David Shiel
Drifting

Default Yep, you are

You should be able to get the actual TPMS for about $40 each shipped (check amazon for schrader 20117). You should be able to find a local tire store to dismount, break down, install TPMS and remount for about $10 per wheel. You need a magnet ( less than $10 at Home Depot) and use the steps in the previous post to program the TPMS yourself. In fact you can program them BEFORE you have them installed to know they are working. Just mark each TPMS as to which wheel it will go into and tell the tire shop to install according to your marking.

All told it should cost you under $225 (for 2001 - 2004 C5 TPMS).......... (4x40 + 4x10 + 10).
right on the money. After looking at all options, Mr, Sam is sending over his Tech II, and I am going to program them out. If I ever wear out my tires or change out the current c6 replacement wheels, I may program it back in and replace the sensors. I am reluctant to go in anywhere for service, as I usually come out with them having screwed up something else. Took a 2000 Z28 in for ROB and I got it back with both front fenders broken from improper jacking. Had to fight with them for a half-a$$ed repair. Ended up paying to replace the fenders. Just one such experience. Just noticed on my windshield replacement they did not reattach the battery surround firewall tab. Will fix it, but will have to order new retainers. Not worth going back.
Dave
Old 05-08-2016, 11:38 AM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

I find the TPMS quite handy for monitoring my non-runflat pressure. High performance summer only tires are rather pricey so I use them to help keep the right pressure so the tires wear slower and more evenly.

But having easy access to a TECHII does make it easy to turn them off and on.
Old 05-15-2016, 04:50 PM
CatCam
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Cool -- just ordered 4 for my 2004. Thanks for the info -- local GM stealership wanted $72 each for the GM part -- with tax would have been over $300. Plus no telling at that price how long they have been sitting in stock --
Old 05-19-2016, 09:47 AM
David Shiel
Drifting

Default Bump

Originally Posted by CatCam
Cool -- just ordered 4 for my 2004. Thanks for the info -- local GM stealership wanted $72 each for the GM part -- with tax would have been over $300. Plus no telling at that price how long they have been sitting in stock --
for update
Old 05-23-2016, 04:55 PM
David Shiel
Drifting

Default TPMS DEACTIVATION. Final definitive

Originally Posted by David Shiel
for update
answer on programming the TPMS out of the DIC on 2001-2004 model years. You cannot do so on 97-2000 models.

I referred to section 3-111> in of 2002 service manual set.
To prevent the DIC from showing warning messages (DTCs) in the DIC of the 2001-2004 only, use the Tech II scan tool to deactivate BOTH the TPMS Monitor and the TPMS DTC when you reach that screen on the TECH II. You will effectively eliminate the annoying DIC service message and will not have to change the wheel sensors.
If at some later date, you want the TPMS working, you can install new wheel sensors, turn the system back on with the Tech II and program( teach/learn), the new wheel sensors.
I do not miss the annoying message!
Dave

Get notified of new replies

To Tpms changeout price

Quick Reply: Tpms changeout price