C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine noise... help identify

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2016, 12:31 PM
bwill03z
Melting Slicks

Received 197 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by LoneStarFRC
Pull heads, replace lifters AND cups and possibly cam; lobe probably damaged. Remove and clean pan, clean both heads.This is if level of debris is minimal.
Ideally pull engine and clean contamination, replace all bearings.
Gahh. I would have to take my car to a shop to have all of this done, which I'm sure will be costly. Is there a pretty high risk of blowing the motor if not addressing this soon enough?
Old 08-20-2016, 02:15 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by bwill03z
Gahh. I would have to take my car to a shop to have all of this done, which I'm sure will be costly. Is there a pretty high risk of blowing the motor if not addressing this soon enough?
Yes. Problems like this do not get better. Continued operation only leads to increased levels of contamination inside the engine, and will typically continue to increase. The bearings will suffer rapidly.
Getting a good, competent, confirmation of the issue as soon as possible is paramount. The earlier the problem is addressed, the less damage.
Good luck.

HTH
Old 08-20-2016, 08:22 PM
FL Skydiver
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine has always made the same noise, I don't think its a big deal. I think one of the lifters bleeds down and takes a few minutes to pump back up. 52K miles on it.
Old 08-20-2016, 08:26 PM
FL Skydiver
Advanced

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...when-cold.html
Old 08-20-2016, 08:33 PM
bwill03z
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by FL Skydiver
Mine has always made the same noise, I don't think its a big deal. I think one of the lifters bleeds down and takes a few minutes to pump back up. 52K miles on it.
Thanks for the info. Mine is more if a ticking/clacking sound. Here is a better video where you can hear it better. Once motor warms up it's gone.

https://youtu.be/TwXpqevOCWE

Last edited by bwill03z; 08-20-2016 at 08:33 PM.
Old 08-20-2016, 09:43 PM
FL Skydiver
Advanced

Yep, sounds identical to my car.
Old 08-20-2016, 09:47 PM
bwill03z
Melting Slicks

Yep, sounds identical to my car.
How long has your car made this noise? I'm at 67k miles, just recently noticed it so I'm not certain when it started. I can drive awhile then park for a few hours, crank back up and still no noise. It's only on a completely cold start... same for you?
Old 08-20-2016, 10:00 PM
FL Skydiver
Advanced

How long has your car made this noise? I'm at 67k miles, just recently noticed it so I'm not certain when it started. I can drive awhile then park for a few hours, crank back up and still no noise. It's only on a completely cold start... same for you?
I have only owned the car for about 2000 miles. It has always made that noise in that time. Only makes it on a cold start. Goes away by the time I get around the block. I did some reading on the forums and it seems pretty common.
Old 08-21-2016, 01:01 AM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Problem solved then.

Good luck OP.
Old 08-21-2016, 11:25 AM
FL Skydiver
Advanced

bwill03z your mail box is FULL won't accept any messages.
Old 08-21-2016, 11:27 AM
bwill03z
Melting Slicks

Sorry, I deleted them. Should be able to send it now
Old 08-21-2016, 11:54 AM
bwill03z
Melting Slicks

You're right your motor sounds identical to mine. I've watched every video on youtube and yours is the only one that sounds exactly like mine.
Old 08-21-2016, 02:15 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

I get the distinct impression you started this thread seeking confirmation or affirmation from someone (ANYONE) that your situation is not serious and can be ignored, and when someone comes along and says it's "not a big deal", or "mine does the same thing", you're inclined to accept that as it saves you money.
But hey, as long as someone ELSE'S motor sounds like yours and HE thinks it's "not a big deal" then hey, you can rest easy, right?

Just the fact ALONE that you're getting "excessive" metal shavings in your oil (posted by YOU) is cause for serious concern and it appears as though someone else can completely IGNORE that fact and reassure you all is well and you're willing to accept his "diagnosis".
Originally Posted by bwillo3z
Mine used to very quiet, other than normal ls ticking, but this strange sound just recently started. No power loss or anything like that but I did have metal shavings in my oil which concened me.
Originally Posted by bwillo3z
That is probably why I had excessive metal shavings on my magnetic drain plug on my last oil change.
Good luck -
Old 08-21-2016, 02:57 PM
bwill03z
Melting Slicks

I get the distinct impression you started this thread seeking confirmation or affirmation from someone (ANYONE) that your situation is not serious and can be ignored, and when someone comes along and says it's "not a big deal", or "mine does the same thing", you're inclined to accept that as it saves you money.
But hey, as long as someone ELSE'S motor sounds like yours and HE thinks it's "not a big deal" then hey, you can rest easy, right?

Just the fact ALONE that you're getting "excessive" metal shavings in your oil (posted by YOU) is cause for serious concern and it appears as though someone else can completely IGNORE that fact and reassure you all is well and you're willing to accept his "diagnosis".

Good luck -
Really no need to type certain words in all caps.... but you are correct, I was seeking info from someone who has had a similar experience. The post was not in hopes for someone to tell me that it's ok or not a big deal, but to find out if someone had the same issue and looked into the issue to see exactly what it was. It's somewhat of a relief to know another is having the same issue and hasn't resulted in a serious failure yet, but I am not going to just completely ignore this issue because I'm not the only one that has had this experience. I appreciate your feedback, but seriously man I'm not just looking for a pat on the back and someone to tell me not to worry. I will most likely take my car to my mechanic and have him get in the motor and see whats up.
Old 08-21-2016, 04:00 PM
FL Skydiver
Advanced

Originally Posted by LoneStarFRC View Post

Good luck -
Old 08-21-2016, 04:16 PM
Coc5
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

My money's on a lifter. Sounds like a roller self-destructing.
After experiencing that very issue, I agree. Don't run it anymore until you tear it down. What happens is the lifter destructs, eats the cam and all of those particles drop upon the piston skirt and then eats up the cylinder.
I had 4 lifters fail and lost ALL oil pressure. Shut it down immediately, tore it down and the cylinders were scored.
The good thing to come out of it I built an all forged LS6 to replace the tired LS1.

Then again, it's your car and roll the dice as you see fit. Good luck.

Last edited by Coc5; 08-21-2016 at 04:23 PM.
Old 08-23-2016, 03:41 PM
ezstreet
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check out my current thread here.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ine-noise.html

I posted vids of a similar noise. Mine turned out to be 2 spun bearings - cylinder 3 and 4.

There are lots of quick checks i picked up on during my diagnosis. PM me if you want a run down of what i did.

Good luck

Get notified of new replies

To Engine noise... help identify

Old 08-24-2016, 11:39 AM
RomanNYC
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Cold start up. The ticking sound is coming from the pass side as you will see in the video. The sound does not increase with throttle. It seems to go away mostly once the car is warmed up. What are your thoughts?

https://youtu.be/Vk3jt1iUCUI
https://youtu.be/n6ru6Lpk22Y
do you let your oil warmup before going over 2k rpm on a cold engine?
Old 08-24-2016, 12:34 PM
bwill03z
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by RomanNYC
do you let your oil warmup before going over 2k rpm on a cold engine?
Yes. I always have since owning the car. Now, I crank and let idle until the tapping sound stops before driving.
Old 08-24-2016, 01:33 PM
RomanNYC
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Yes. I always have since owning the car. Now, I crank and let idle until the tapping sound stops before driving.
what kind of mods are you running?

Quick Reply: Engine noise... help identify