C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine noise... help identify

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 01:53 PM
bwill03z
Melting Slicks

Received 197 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by RomanNYC
what kind of mods are you running?
Just full exhaust and a vararam
Old 08-24-2016, 03:58 PM
RomanNYC
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by bwill03z
Just full exhaust and a vararam
thats is odd, for a car with low miles and bolt-ons. please keep us updated.

Last edited by RomanNYC; 08-24-2016 at 03:59 PM.
Old 08-24-2016, 04:02 PM
bwill03z
Melting Slicks

thats is odd, for a car with low miles and bolt-ons. please keep us updated.
Yeah I thought so too. I am not the first owner but in the five years I have owned it the car has been babied with occasional spirited driving. I really don't know at what point this sound started. The only "abuse" it's had was being on a dyno a couple different times but it was in the hands of a very reputable tuner. I only tracked the car one time but that was being pretty easy on it.
Old 08-24-2016, 04:18 PM
RomanNYC
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Yeah I thought so too. I am not the first owner but in the five years I have owned it the car has been babied with occasional spirited driving. I really don't know at what point this sound started. The only "abuse" it's had was being on a dyno a couple different times but it was in the hands of a very reputable tuner. I only tracked the car one time but that was being pretty easy on it.
you check your oil levels often? ever had the low oil light come up? these cars drink oil pretty quick and if you let it get low alot of the part dont have the oil they need and thats when headaches come.
Old 08-24-2016, 06:21 PM
bwill03z
Melting Slicks

you check your oil levels often? ever had the low oil light come up? these cars drink oil pretty quick and if you let it get low alot of the part dont have the oil they need and thats when headaches come.
Yeah I have always kept a close eye on my oil level. Never went over 3k miles between changes. 5w30 synthetic every change. My car has never had an issue with oil consumption either.
Old 08-26-2016, 10:17 AM
bwill03z
Melting Slicks

I'm going to do some work on it this weekend and try to find the source of this noise. Anyone heard a loose spark plug make this noise? I'm crossing my fingers thats what it is, but not likely.
Old 08-26-2016, 10:23 AM
ezstreet
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm going to do some work on it this weekend and try to find the source of this noise. Anyone heard a loose spark plug make this noise? I'm crossing my fingers thats what it is, but not likely.
Ah forgot that in my PM to you. Also if you pull a plug wire at a time while running you may be able to isolate the cylinder where the trouble lies if the noise changes when you do.

Good luck this weekend and let us know what you find
Old 08-26-2016, 11:21 AM
bwill03z
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ezstreet
Ah forgot that in my PM to you. Also if you pull a plug wire at a time while running you may be able to isolate the cylinder where the trouble lies if the noise changes when you do.

Good luck this weekend and let us know what you find
Thanks, I will report back with any info I have.

So it's fine to pull a plug wire one at a time while the car is running, right? I know it will throw a code and I will have to clear it.
Old 08-27-2016, 02:18 PM
bwill03z
Melting Slicks

So far I have managed to remove all four pass plugs. They all looked exactly the same. I kind of expected one to be a little more discolored than the rest. Not only were all four tight, but they were torqued waaay the hell past 11ft lbs... which im not happy about
Old 08-28-2016, 04:16 PM
bwill03z
Melting Slicks

I pulled the pass valve cover again today and inspected. No needle bearings present, rocker bolts are tight, some rockers could move side to side a little but I believe that is normal, I couldn't manually push any of the rods back down... this is aggravating as hell. At least the top end looked really clean.

Quick Reply: Engine noise... help identify