C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine noise... help identify

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2016, 03:51 PM
bwill03z
Melting Slicks

Received 197 Likes on 171 Posts

Default Engine noise... help identify

Cold start up. The ticking sound is coming from the pass side as you will see in the video. The sound does not increase with throttle. It seems to go away mostly once the car is warmed up. What are your thoughts?

Last edited by bwill03z; 07-01-2016 at 06:33 PM.
Old 05-07-2016, 06:06 PM
midnight01
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Sounds like either a lifter, or a loose rocker arm/adjustment needed, if it goes away once the car is warmed up its because the clearances are tighter from the heat expansion. Does it do it after the car is shut off for a few minutes and you start it from warm?
Old 05-07-2016, 06:26 PM
bwill03z
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by midnight01
Sounds like either a lifter, or a loose rocker arm/adjustment needed, if it goes away once the car is warmed up its because the clearances are tighter from the heat expansion. Does it do it after the car is shut off for a few minutes and you start it from warm?
I don't know I will check and see when I get a chance. I never really noticed it until today.
Old 05-07-2016, 07:07 PM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 463 Likes on 374 Posts

I can't listen to the video my PC audio is crapped out... but, I know there is an issue with valve springs breakage on some Z06 motors.
I would take an old broom handle/long screw driver and stick on where you think the sound is coming from and put your ear on the other end you will be able to hear EXACTLY where it is coming from if you keep searching for it and should give you a better idea of maybe what the problem is
Old 05-07-2016, 07:11 PM
bwill03z
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 73Corvette
I can't listen to the video my PC audio is crapped out... but, I know there is an issue with valve springs breakage on some Z06 motors.
I would take an old broom handle/long screw driver and stick on where you think the sound is coming from and put your ear on the other end you will be able to hear EXACTLY where it is coming from if you keep searching for it and should give you a better idea of maybe what the problem is
One of the first things I did when I bought my car was swap out the valve springs. But I will work on trying to pinpoint where the noise is coming from
Old 05-07-2016, 07:28 PM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 463 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by bwill03z
One of the first things I did when I bought my car was swap out the valve springs. But I will work on trying to pinpoint where the noise is coming from
That would make me wonder for sure if a rocker arm needed adjusted...
Old 05-07-2016, 08:32 PM
bwill03z
Melting Slicks

Just looked at it again, the sound actually does get louder with throttle... once the car warms up it goes away. Let it sit for awhile turned off then cranked again... sound was back until operating temp.

Last edited by bwill03z; 05-07-2016 at 08:32 PM.
Old 05-07-2016, 08:36 PM
midnight01
Pro

Just looked at it again, the sound actually does get louder with throttle... once the car warms up it goes away. Let it sit for awhile turned off then cranked again... sound was back until operating temp.
Pull the valve cover and check the clearances of each rocker arm. One could be loose. And as your checking you can see if anything looks out of the ordinary.
Old 05-09-2016, 04:46 PM
bwill03z
Melting Slicks

Pull the valve cover and check the clearances of each rocker arm. One could be loose. And as your checking you can see if anything looks out of the ordinary.
I will do that as soon as I can.

If it is a lifter do you guys think a full Seafoam treatment might ne a good idea?
Old 05-09-2016, 04:49 PM
midnight01
Pro

I will do that as soon as I can.

If it is a lifter do you guys think a full Seafoam treatment might ne a good idea?
It won't help if the lifter is collapsed and it might not be a lifter. You won't know what it is until you pull the valve cover and check the rockers/pushrods. Do the easy troubleshooting 1st.

Last edited by midnight01; 05-09-2016 at 04:50 PM.
Old 06-30-2016, 11:21 PM
bwill03z
Melting Slicks

Ok guys one more video. I believe this noise has slightly increased. Valve covered was pulled and nothing out of the ordinary. If this is a lifter then should I park the car until it's fixed or is it not that big of a risk to drive? Again, noise goes away once motor is warmed up. Here is the vid

Last edited by bwill03z; 07-01-2016 at 06:31 PM.
Old 07-01-2016, 10:27 AM
David Shiel
Drifting

Received 138 Likes on 81 Posts
Default I am on my second C5 and

Ok guys one more video. I believe this noise has slightly increased. Valve covered was pulled and nothing out of the ordinary. If this is a lifter then should I park the car until it's fixed or is it not that big of a risk to drive? Again, noise goes away once motor is warmed up. Here is another video from today
https://youtu.be/n6ru6Lpk22Y
both sound like that when cold. This one has headers and they either amplify or increase the ticking sound. Goes away when hot. Since they both did it, I chalk it up to an engine characteristic and drive it like I stole it. Puts out dyno RWHP 342 and BHP 394+ or-, so I have to get on it alot to keep up with the Mustangs in our muscle car club. Runs right up to redline, idles smoothly at 550 and runs like a scalded dog, so why worry? If it blows, we'll put it back together!
Dave
Old 07-01-2016, 02:39 PM
bwill03z
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by David Shiel
both sound like that when cold. This one has headers and they either amplify or increase the ticking sound. Goes away when hot. Since they both did it, I chalk it up to an engine characteristic and drive it like I stole it. Puts out dyno RWHP 342 and BHP 394+ or-, so I have to get on it alot to keep up with the Mustangs in our muscle car club. Runs right up to redline, idles smoothly at 550 and runs like a scalded dog, so why worry? If it blows, we'll put it back together!
Dave
So both of yours made that same tapping/knocking sound? Mine used to very quiet, other than normal ls ticking, but this strange sound just recently started. No power loss or anything like that but I did have metal shavings in my oil which concened me. I don't know if it's related to this sound or not.
Old 07-01-2016, 06:15 PM
midnight01
Pro

Ok guys one more video. I believe this noise has slightly increased. Valve covered was pulled and nothing out of the ordinary. If this is a lifter then should I park the car until it's fixed or is it not that big of a risk to drive? Again, noise goes away once motor is warmed up. Here is another video from today
https://youtu.be/n6ru6Lpk22Y
if the noise goes away when the car is warmed up it is a clearance issue. A bad lifter will tick like that all the time hot or cold. I had a bad lifter in my Z28 that would make that noise hot or cold. get a stethoscope or a tube that you can press up to a few places so you can try and single out exactly which cylinder is the issue. Then you can check the preload on the rockers and also spin the pushrods to see if they are bent.
Old 07-01-2016, 06:30 PM
bwill03z
Melting Slicks

if the noise goes away when the car is warmed up it is a clearance issue. A bad lifter will tick like that all the time hot or cold. I had a bad lifter in my Z28 that would make that noise hot or cold. get a stethoscope or a tube that you can press up to a few places so you can try and single out exactly which cylinder is the issue. Then you can check the preload on the rockers and also spin the pushrods to see if they are bent.
If it were a pushrod then woudln't the sound also not go away once the motor was hot? Also what can cause a clearance issue?
Old 07-01-2016, 06:42 PM
midnight01
Pro

If it were a pushrod then woudln't the sound also not go away once the motor was hot? Also what can cause a clearance issue?
Time causes clearance issues, spirited driving, e.t.c. back in the old days (lol) if you didn't have polylocks for your rocker arms they would have to be adjusted every 20-40K miles because the bolts loosen up over time due to vibration and high rpm driving. a bent pushrod when cold would also have different clearance. I'm not saying it is a bent pushrod just don't rule it out and not check them.
The following users liked this post:
Upstny4u (03-03-2019)
Old 08-19-2016, 08:32 PM
bwill03z
Melting Slicks

So I was looking into this noise again. I used a screwdriver and tried to pinpoint where the clacking sound is coming from and it is def not coming from under the valve covers, but more of where the arrow is in the pic ( see below) thoughts??

Get notified of new replies

To Engine noise... help identify

Old 08-19-2016, 08:58 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

My money's on a lifter. Sounds like a roller self-destructing.
Old 08-19-2016, 10:13 PM
bwill03z
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by LoneStarFRC
My money's on a lifter. Sounds like a roller self-destructing.
If so, what's the solution for this? That is probably why I had excessive metal shavings on my magnetic drain plug on my last oil change. It was the first change with the mag plug so I can't compare to any previous oil changes.
Old 08-20-2016, 02:51 AM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

If so, what's the solution for this? That is probably why I had excessive metal shavings on my magnetic drain plug on my last oil change. It was the first change with the mag plug so I can't compare to any previous oil changes.
Pull heads, replace lifters AND cups and possibly cam; lobe probably damaged. Remove and clean pan, clean both heads.This is if level of debris is minimal.
Ideally pull engine and clean contamination, replace all bearings.

Quick Reply: Engine noise... help identify