C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dash Pad Pulling Away From HUD Bezel

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 11:03 AM
Andrew
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

Default Dash Pad Pulling Away From HUD Bezel

My HUD is working fine, the HUD bezel is not cracked and the dash is not cracked. However, the dash pad is pushing up so you can see the dash padding around the front of the HUD bezel (toward the driver). I know that the dash must be removed to replace the HUD bezel or HUD itself. However, when looking at how the HUD bezel is attached to the dash, I do not see how it has any adjustment to move back over the dash pad. Anyone else having this problem? Better yet, anyone find a cure to this problem?

Thanks!
Old 05-16-2016, 11:22 AM
twokbolt
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts

I just had my dash apart a couple weekends ago to fix the dropping HUD issue. The bezel and the dash pad are functionally the same piece. It sounds like your bezel is separating from the dash pad. I'd recommend some sort of strong adhesive to rebond the two. There might have been clips underneath holding it on (I don't remember) and maybe one of your clips broke or something.
Old 05-16-2016, 11:27 AM
Andrew
Drifting

Originally Posted by twokbolt
I just had my dash apart a couple weekends ago to fix the dropping HUD issue. The bezel and the dash pad are functionally the same piece. It sounds like your bezel is separating from the dash pad. I'd recommend some sort of strong adhesive to rebond the two. There might have been clips underneath holding it on (I don't remember) and maybe one of your clips broke or something.
That is what I was afraid of. No, no clips or anything broke, the dash pad is just pulling away, ever so slightly to cause the dash to push up. Is this the solution?

http://www.c5hudbezel.com/c5-corvett...-retrofit-kit/

Was not sure if it would be larger than the factory bezel, thereby pulling the dash pad back down??
Old 05-16-2016, 11:30 AM
twokbolt
Racer

Originally Posted by Andrew
That is what I was afraid of. No, no clips or anything broke, the dash pad is just pulling away, ever so slightly to cause the dash to push up. Is this the solution?

http://www.c5hudbezel.com/c5-corvett...-retrofit-kit/

Was not sure if it would be larger than the factory bezel, thereby pulling the dash pad back down??
I can't see the link (I'm at work) but I'm guessing that is more of an overlay solution for broken bezels. A picture would probably help but I'm guessing you just need a little dab of glue on the pad and shove it back under the bezel. How big is the gap or area that we are talking about?
Old 05-16-2016, 11:35 AM
Andrew
Drifting

Originally Posted by twokbolt
I can't see the link (I'm at work) but I'm guessing that is more of an overlay solution for broken bezels. A picture would probably help but I'm guessing you just need a little dab of glue on the pad and shove it back under the bezel. How big is the gap or area that we are talking about?
Yes, the link is to an overlay for cracked bezels - basically glues over the original. I would prefer to not go this route.

Will see if I can get a picture. The gap is very small, however the dash is pulling up about 1/2 and inch or so. I can push the dash pad back down and under the bezel just to have it raise back up within a few minutes. Adhesive would work, just do not like the idea of gluing the dash material to the bezel, in case it ever does crack or HUD ever goes out.
Old 05-16-2016, 11:40 AM
twokbolt
Racer

Ok I got you now. I would just use a strong adhesive or epoxy on it. When you pull the dash the bezel comes out with it as one piece so the two should never be separated anyway.
Old 05-16-2016, 03:36 PM
MongoZ06
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Without seeing any pictures it sounds like the typical issue of the vinyl shrinking on the dash pad. Mine did the same thing in the same area around the HUD bezel. I picked up a couple feet of "black welt piping" from a local upholstery shop for a few bucks and tucked the flat portion between the bezel and the dash to cover up the exposed padding. When I get home I'll try to take a picture of it so you can see.
Old 05-16-2016, 10:53 PM
MongoZ06
Pro

Here is a pic of the welt piping installed
The following users liked this post:
MorganZilla (10-23-2021)
Old 05-16-2016, 11:20 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,286 Likes on 13,962 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Mongo - that looks like a pretty good solution to the problem.
Old 05-17-2016, 09:18 AM
Andrew
Drifting

Mongo, this is exactly what I need to do! I think this would fix the problem. Can you provide the steps taken to do the job? Does the dash need to be removed? Plan B would be to get a new dash pad, which are not as expensive as one might think.

Vetteman Jack, you go to the show last weekend? Nice turnout. I did not show the OAZ, but was there to walk around. My favorite Vette was actually parked across from Arris Pizza / post office, a pristine red 66' coupe. Am going to try to make the next cruise in at the mall.

Andy
Old 05-17-2016, 10:11 AM
twokbolt
Racer

Mongo that looks great! Gives the car a little bit of an upscale look too.
Old 05-17-2016, 12:56 PM
MongoZ06
Pro

I did it with everything still on the car, it was a bit tough the closer you get the windshield but not impossible.

I just took the welt piping and started installing it from the windshield of the driver side and wrapping it around by tucking the flat portion between the bezel and the dash pad, once i got it around to the passenger side I measured with a ruler from the point where the piping would disappear under the windshield to a given point on the piping. I pulled the piping back, cut off the excess and finished tucking it back in.
Old 05-17-2016, 01:58 PM
zwoobah
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Nice work Mongo. Mine is also pulling away, probably the vinyl shrinking after years in hot weather.

Last edited by zwoobah; 05-17-2016 at 01:59 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Dash Pad Pulling Away From HUD Bezel

Quick Reply: Dash Pad Pulling Away From HUD Bezel