C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Small cam

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2016, 12:07 AM
jeffchang8818
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Small cam

I dont know much about cam specs, so i was wondering if anyone can give me some good options on a good small cam where i dont have to change my torque converter unless its a must. I know i need to change my push rods, lifters, valve springs, timing chain, and possibly the oil pump and to get some LT headers. It is my daily driver so i dont need a big cam, in all honesty i just want it for the sound maybe looking to sticking around a 114 LSA. could i possibly use shorty headers on a small cam?
Old 05-25-2016, 12:55 AM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Received 535 Likes on 491 Posts

Pick a vendor and tell them your wants, and what you plan to do. What gears do you have?
I'd either go LT's or leave the factory manifolds.
Old 05-25-2016, 07:51 AM
feeder82
Melting Slicks

Received 981 Likes on 624 Posts

Old 05-25-2016, 11:41 AM
wrkdWS6
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Here's my .02. With an auto, the single best mod you can do to improve performance and the fun factor is a torque converter. I know you said you want the cam for the sound factor but I'd reconsider that as your next mod or I'd do it right and put a converter in there too. Camming a car for the sound is the wrong reason to do it, I've been there done that. Had a cammed automatic car that I daily drove with the stock converter because I wanted the sound. Once I put a converter in the car, it transformed it to a new level. It was no longer a slow car that sounded fast, improved drivability, and really became a blast to drive. Again just my .02

Gears will also dictate cam choice. If you have the stock gears, that and the stock converter will severely limit your cam choices. The 114lsa you mentioned will probably have a very mild idle perhaps hard to even detect in the duration range of a cam that would be appropriate for your current setup.
Old 05-25-2016, 11:30 PM
jeffchang8818
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well i appreciate the info, i didnt know there was that much stuff just to install a small cam, im running stock gears but i was thinking about getting 3.73
Old 05-26-2016, 12:01 AM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Received 535 Likes on 491 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffchang8818
Well i appreciate the info, i didnt know there was that much stuff just to install a small cam, im running stock gears but i was thinking about getting 3.73
What gears do you currently have? 3.42's are much easier to get (any 6 speed has them), if you have 2.73 gears a change to either would be a great kick in the pants.

Get notified of new replies

To Small cam

Quick Reply: Small cam