C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flashing dash lights

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2016, 07:22 PM
alxltd1
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 99 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Default Flashing dash lights

I had a set of ACA headlights, I converted and running HID low beams and HIR highs, as well as, LED tail lights and corner lights modified by RadioFlyer adding an LED strip that was just plugged into the 194 socket so they came on as the parking lights and not as the DRL/turn signals. I also had the hyper flash harness installed.

Everything was working fine.

I then added a modified set of ACA’s with halo’s from RadioFlyer still with HID lows and HIR highs and modified the LED strip to be the DRL/turn signal.

Now on occasion, all the dash lights will start to flash.

Searched and I am seeing a varied number of causes, from bad hyper flash harness, to bad ignition switch, or multifunction switch, bad ground, or because of the LED in the corner lights now being used as the DRL/turn signals, etc.

I will start to track them down by first reversing the change to the LED corner lights and make them again just the parking lights. And then proceed to see if it still is happening or if I need to do something with the new ACA’s with halo’s.

For reference the battery is fully charged, I am getting no low voltage DIC messages (in fact getting no DIC messages at all), checked all fuses. Have not yet put a meter on any relays yet.

Just deducing that the only changes before this issue was the new ACA’s with halo’s and the splice of the corner lights LED strip to act as the DRL/turn signals.

Anyone else experience this? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-26-2016, 12:52 PM
jose7740
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

I have kind of similar problem, installed led front turn signal bulbs, removed drl fuse and when I hit the brakes the dashboard lights come on, can not find what is going on so I drive the car like that anyway(also I have the hyper flash installed)
Old 05-28-2016, 09:55 AM
TheRadioFlyer
Supporting Vendor

Received 630 Likes on 346 Posts

The flashing dash lights (poltergeist syndrome) is usually an indicator of 2 possible issues:

1) Faulty ground: There are two grounding points on the frame rails under the hood. Check these for corrosion and clean them off if needed.

2) Failing multi function switch: This switch controls turn signals, cruise control and headlight operation. The C5 has a history of these failing with age due to wear on the contacts. This part is not serviceable and will need to be replaced.
Old 05-28-2016, 11:21 AM
alxltd1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by TheRadioFlyer
The flashing dash lights (poltergeist syndrome) is usually an indicator of 2 possible issues:

1) Faulty ground: There are two grounding points on the frame rails under the hood. Check these for corrosion and clean them off if needed.

2) Failing multi function switch: This switch controls turn signals, cruise control and headlight operation. The C5 has a history of these failing with age due to wear on the contacts. This part is not serviceable and will need to be replaced.
I am about to replace the ground connectors, actually eliminate them and just concatenate the wires into a single ring terminal and screw it directly to the frame. If that does not cure it, then look into the multi-function switch. Thanks. BTW where can i find the instructions for the corner light LED splice into the DRL's? I thought they used to be on your web site but cannot seem to find them.
Old 05-28-2016, 01:56 PM
TheRadioFlyer
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by alxltd1
I am about to replace the ground connectors, actually eliminate them and just concatenate the wires into a single ring terminal and screw it directly to the frame. If that does not cure it, then look into the multi-function switch. Thanks. BTW where can i find the instructions for the corner light LED splice into the DRL's? I thought they used to be on your web site but cannot seem to find them.
Not sure what you're talking about. The Turn signal and DRL operate on the same circuit at the corner light.
Old 05-28-2016, 02:25 PM
alxltd1
Melting Slicks

Not sure what you're talking about. The Turn signal and DRL operate on the same circuit at the corner light.
I had you modify my corners a while back with the LED strip, as from your web site below, I am looking for splice intructions (highlighted in red): Thanks.

Radioflyer Innovations proud to introduce the all new "High Density" LED strip modification for the C5 corner lights.
How it works:
You supply the corner lights you want modified. I can do this modification on OEM or Aftermarket light housings.

The LED strip is mounted on inside of the lens for protection and aesthetics. The Plug and play option taps into the 194 marker light or can replace it entirely (no splicing required)

Other creative options allow the LED strip to act as the Turn signal and DRL with the cutting and splicing of just 3 wires. (I can provide the instructions for this)
Old 05-28-2016, 04:58 PM
TheRadioFlyer
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by alxltd1
I had you modify my corners a while back with the LED strip, as from your web site below, I am looking for splice intructions (highlighted in red): Thanks.

Radioflyer Innovations proud to introduce the all new "High Density" LED strip modification for the C5 corner lights.
How it works:
You supply the corner lights you want modified. I can do this modification on OEM or Aftermarket light housings.

The LED strip is mounted on inside of the lens for protection and aesthetics. The Plug and play option taps into the 194 marker light or can replace it entirely (no splicing required)

Other creative options allow the LED strip to act as the Turn signal and DRL with the cutting and splicing of just 3 wires. (I can provide the instructions for this)
Oh, no worries: There are 3 wires on the 3157 socket. You want to tap the two outer wires. The black one is ground, the other one is the 12v+.
The following users liked this post:
alxltd1 (05-28-2016)
Old 05-28-2016, 06:32 PM
alxltd1
Melting Slicks

Oh, no worries: There are 3 wires on the 3157 socket. You want to tap the two outer wires. The black one is ground, the other one is the 12v+.
Thanks.

Get notified of new replies

To Flashing dash lights

Quick Reply: Flashing dash lights