C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to the forum - Front spoiler springs set-up

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2016, 09:39 PM
Mark Furnish
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New to the forum - Front spoiler springs set-up

Hello everybody! This is my first post ever though I've been using the C5 Tech Forum for info for several years. I have hard copies of most of the stickies and they have been great! I bought my first Vette in 1988-a '78 Silver Anniversary that was my daily driver for 13 years. I followed that with a 2000 coupe for a few years and then upgraded to a 2001 coupe when the CD player failed! (I know, I know!, but a guy wanted it-and it was still totally cherry-and I wanted a CD player that worked!) So. On to the 2001 coupe. I've had it for about 10 years now and I've got a laundry list of stuff to do. I'm going to start small. Does anybody have a source for the spring setup on the front air intake/spoiler center section? I'm on my third center section between the two C5s I've owned and it seems like a couple of bucks of spring and cable eventually fails and you need a new center section (unless you're lucky enough to find the old one wherever it fell off - which I've done more than once)! Failing a source for the springs, etc, does anyone have an alternate method of keeping the center section on the car? My younger brother is an engineer and he came up with some plastic inserts to hopefully keep the cables from failing quite so routinely. I'll include some photos when I get some better equipment to upload with. Other issues I'm dealing with: a pretty wicked oil leak (front of the motor) that is going to the local Vette dealer in a couple of weeks; a front seat that won't move back and forth (doesn't bother me as far as driving position goes but I need to remove the seat for new covers and foam -and the power tele steering wheel is also out which I suspect is related); the climate control display is failing; and -wait for it- the CD player is toast. But I still love my C5 and I hope to have most of these items finished before the year is up. Anyway, I hope to hear from you folks with answers/info/advice about any of this and if I can be of help I'll chip in as well! Thanks and save the wave!
Old 05-29-2016, 09:56 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

Unfortunately, I have never seen a source. I got a forum member to sell me the springs from a mangled spoiler.
Old 05-29-2016, 11:01 PM
zachaeous
Melting Slicks

Received 451 Likes on 376 Posts

I would try Marc at Vettnuts.net He is a good source for hard to find parts. He is also a forum vendor.

Good luck finding your parts.
Old 05-30-2016, 08:51 AM
CactusCat
Melting Slicks

Received 209 Likes on 156 Posts

This might be of some help.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-hardware.html
After re-reading your post, let me make a few suggestions. #1.... finish your profile. When we know where you're located, we can offer some better advice. #2. While you might feel comfortable taking your car to the dealership, I'd suggest otherwise if there are qualified Corvette mechanics/shops near you. Since you've been monitoring CF for several years, you already know why we call them stealerships. #3. The climate control fix is easy, just find the thread (I recommend searching with Google), solder the resistors and you're done. Takes about an hour or two tops. #4. Seat and steering wheel are related to some electrical issues. I'd start with the plug under the seat. #5. Looking back at #2, since you've been monitoring for a while, you know the routine. Seems like all of us are picture ******, so go to the General section, introduce yourself there, and post some pics of your ride. We all love to look at the other guy's Vettes. It never gets old. Good luck and welcome to the forum. I'm still amazed after all these years how many helpful and friendly Vette owners are. If you can't find the thread on the climate control fix, let me know. You can find it in the stickies.

Last edited by CactusCat; 05-30-2016 at 09:04 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To New to the forum - Front spoiler springs set-up

Quick Reply: New to the forum - Front spoiler springs set-up