C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone polished or painted their alternator without taking it apart?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2016, 12:56 PM
jrprich
Le Mans Master

Received 212 Likes on 184 Posts

Default Has anyone polished or painted their alternator without taking it apart?

I would like to at least wire brush my alternator case or possibly paint it.
But I don't want to disassemble the alternator. So has anyone done this?
If so , please describe how you kept the internals clean during the refinish process.

Thanks,
Jim
Old 06-02-2016, 01:34 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,081 Likes on 1,634 Posts

I painted mine I just took the plastic cap cover off the back, I didn't want to paint that !!!!
The following users liked this post:
jrprich (06-02-2016)
Old 06-02-2016, 03:32 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 889 Likes on 587 Posts

I've seen a couple of posts with pics here of painted alternators where the owner's have not disassembled before painting. Some have just used some Scotch Brite on the casing and gotten a surprisingly nice finish.

I went the disassembly route and had the casing powder coated since I was doing other stuff at the same time. I admit it was a mini-project unto itself so I can understand not wanting to pull it apart.

From BLOWNBLUEZ06:
"You'll need to clear off that coating where the bracket interfaces the block and the alternator chassis. Those need to be clean metal or else you're going to have serious electrical problems. The alternators chassis is what is called absolute ground. Not the frame of the car and not the battery negative post."

You can see most of the areas I ground the paint off of to ensure electrical continuity from the alternator to the head.

The following 4 users liked this post by Patches:
ericdwong (07-07-2017), EZ Slider (01-21-2023), jrprich (06-02-2016), Tusc (07-13-2022)
Old 06-02-2016, 03:50 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Ed, yours is a thing of beauty !!!!!!
Old 06-02-2016, 05:07 PM
jrprich
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Patches
I went the disassembly route and had the casing powder coated since I was doing other stuff at the same time. I admit it was a mini-project unto itself so I can understand not wanting to pull it apart.
Ed,

BEAUTIFUL work as always!
When you pull these apart, doesn't it require some resoldering to reassemble?

I think mine would look a lot better with some filing, light sanding and maybe a good wire brushing. But I don't know how I would keep the crud from getting inside the alternator.

Thanks,
Jim
Old 06-02-2016, 05:09 PM
jrprich
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by akapounder
I painted mine I just took the plastic cap cover off the back, I didn't want to paint that !!!!
Wow, that is one CLEAN workbench!
Old 06-02-2016, 06:55 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 889 Likes on 587 Posts

Originally Posted by jrprich
Ed,

BEAUTIFUL work as always!
When you pull these apart, doesn't it require some resoldering to reassemble?

I think mine would look a lot better with some filing, light sanding and maybe a good wire brushing. But I don't know how I would keep the crud from getting inside the alternator.

Thanks,
Jim
Others have stuffed paper towels in between the slots to keep the majority of the crud and paint out. Think about what your alternator injests during normal operation as it is - it's open to the environment including dust, dirt, debris, water, heat, etc. so I think some decent blocking of the vents would be sufficient to protect it along with blowing it out thoroughly with compressed air in between steps.

Pulling it apart requires de-soldering and re-soldering with a heavy-duty soldering iron and you have to pull the bearings and other components out so it takes some careful work. Also, notice how I've masked certain areas to maintain electrical integrity.
vette4fl (07-14-2022)
Old 06-02-2016, 08:16 PM
Mickeyrx70
Melting Slicks

Received 680 Likes on 570 Posts

Originally Posted by akapounder
Ed, yours is a thing of beauty !!!!!!

Always impressed with your attention to detail!
Old 06-02-2016, 08:22 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by jrprich
Wow, that is one CLEAN workbench!
it's a piece of plywood over my table saw ???
chasboy (05-12-2019)
Old 06-02-2016, 08:58 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,260 Likes on 1,055 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Patches
I've seen a couple of posts with pics here of painted alternators where the owner's have not disassembled before painting. Some have just used some Scotch Brite on the casing and gotten a surprisingly nice finish.

From BLOWNBLUEZ06:
"You'll need to clear off that coating where the bracket interfaces the block and the alternator chassis. Those need to be clean metal or else you're going to have serious electrical problems. The alternators chassis is what is called absolute ground. Not the frame of the car and not the battery negative post."
glad you mentioned that, it's good to know for anyone interested in doing it themselves... personally I would not try polishing or painting it without completely disassembling it... I went the easier route and bought one that was already polished and then had my bracket powdercoated
Old 06-02-2016, 09:24 PM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 463 Likes on 374 Posts

Painted mine on the car...used strips of paper cut to fit under the vent holes...tape off and masked off everything I didn't want paint on...all did was wipe it down with lacquer thinner and paint with John Deere muffler black paint....well,I was going yo post a pic, but I'm on my wife's tablet,,, I'll post some when we get home...it looked nice
Old 07-12-2022, 02:26 PM
69GTO96Z
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

I know this is an old thread, but maybe somebody can chime in.

Those of you who have done this, did you use a special high temp solder when putting the alternator back together, and re soldering the 3 lead wires?
Old 07-12-2022, 02:45 PM
grinder11
Race Director

Received 3,606 Likes on 2,556 Posts

Originally Posted by 69GTO96Z
I know this is an old thread, but maybe somebody can chime in.

Those of you who have done this, did you use a special high temp solder when putting the alternator back together, and re soldering the 3 lead wires?
I take it you're referring to silver solder. Anyway, I seriously doubt it. If your alternator gets hot enough to melt conventional 60/40 solder, which melts at approx 375°, I'm certain you'll have much more serious issues than melted solder.....
dmsog (07-12-2022)
Old 07-12-2022, 02:57 PM
69GTO96Z
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by grinder11
I take it you're referring to silver solder. Anyway, I seriously doubt it. If your alternator gets hot enough to melt conventional 60/40 solder, which melts at approx 375°, I'm certain you'll have much more serious issues than melted solder.....
Haha good point. Appreciate it!
Old 07-13-2022, 05:18 PM
Tusc
Running Guns & Moonshine
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,273 Likes on 1,934 Posts

Patches said it right on.

Ive done it on the alternator for my 99 and had a pro alternator service shop disassemble it. Reason for this being that I didn't have a heavy duty solder gun to remove some of the parts needed. I then had them refresh it. That one was later sold.

Very doable.

What is a lot more of a pain is painting the accessory bracket only because it is a pain to remove with everything installed on the car.
​​​​​

Get notified of new replies

To Has anyone polished or painted their alternator without taking it apart?

Quick Reply: Has anyone polished or painted their alternator without taking it apart?