C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driveshaft shop driveshaft questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2016, 06:28 PM
Outlawc4
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Driveshaft shop driveshaft questions

Question about driveshaft shop driveshafts. I'm a little confused. They have the 3" drive shaft rated up to 1000hp. For $849. Then you buy the couplers. For 199. Or billet for $400

Or you can get the 3.5" driveshaft with built on couplers and rates at 1000hp+. For $999.

With the bigger stronger 1 piece costing less over all why would you chose 3" with rubber couplers? What am I missing?

Will be a street car in the 750ish range. But motor and trans and rear are built for 1000+ range if I want to turn it up
The following users liked this post:
jcriner (06-27-2016)
Old 06-25-2016, 12:37 AM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,261 Likes on 1,056 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

the 3.5" with no couplers will possibly vibrate a tad at idle when compared to the 3" with couplers... I already had nearly new dss poly couplers on my stock driveshaft when I decided to upgrade so I ended up going with the 3" and reused those couplers... a friend of mine has a 3.5" version that uses couplers but I don't think they make that one anymore... I have installed the 3.5" with no couplers into another friends torque tube but his car is not running yet so I can't really say much about how it is once in the car but from the way it installed I would expect it to make some noise due to direct metal to metal contact... my driveshaft had to be tapped into place since the couplers provide some cushion between the driveshaft and torque tube, when I installed the 3.5" into my friends torque tube it just slid right in with no resistance at all... I found my 3" version on ebay for $720 shipped and I believe the same place sells the 3.5" as well and it shipped directly from dss, here's what it looked like when it was ready to go in

The following users liked this post:
Jason913 (06-25-2016)

Quick Reply: Driveshaft shop driveshaft questions