C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2016, 12:20 AM
ehuron
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Wheels

I have a '98 C5 basic. I put on Z06 size rims ( 9.5" front and 10.5" rear) Can I put the same 10.5"x18" rear size on the front? Or will it be too wide? I would not be running the same size tire as the rear (295's)
Old 07-02-2016, 02:15 AM
gimp
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 364 Likes on 281 Posts

Same width: no problem. If you can make them fit, that is. I don't recommend anything silly like spacers.

Same diameter wheels: you need different profile tires. At the end of the day, you need to have slightly taller wheels on the rear than the front, I believe that the acceptable range is between 0.5 to 1.5 inches.

You could run a fully square setup with traction control fully disabled, which some people do on the track.

Last edited by gimp; 07-02-2016 at 02:15 AM.
Old 07-03-2016, 07:40 PM
ehuron
Advanced

Default wheels

Originally Posted by gimp
Same width: no problem. If you can make them fit, that is. I don't recommend anything silly like spacers.

Same diameter wheels: you need different profile tires. At the end of the day, you need to have slightly taller wheels on the rear than the front, I believe that the acceptable range is between 0.5 to 1.5 inches.

You could run a fully square setup with traction control fully disabled, which some people do on the track.
Thanks for the reply. But my question was "can I run those 10.5" wide rims on the front, or are they too wide. As for as them being 18" same as the rear, I thought if the overall diameter was the same as stock(with different diameter tires) I would be fine. Are you sure it's the height of the just the rim and not the rim and tire's diameter combined? I'm really concerned about the rims width. Thanks Ernie H

Last edited by ehuron; 07-03-2016 at 07:44 PM.
Old 07-03-2016, 07:47 PM
ehuron
Advanced

Default Wheels

Originally Posted by gimp

No, I wouldn't consider spacers either. I was just wondering if anyone had put that wide of a rim on the front without doing anything as far as offset. Thanks, Ernie H
The following users liked this post:
Emerica88 (07-04-2016)
Old 07-04-2016, 01:23 AM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Received 535 Likes on 491 Posts

Originally Posted by ehuron
Thanks for the reply. But my question was "can I run those 10.5" wide rims on the front, or are they too wide. As for as them being 18" same as the rear, I thought if the overall diameter was the same as stock(with different diameter tires) I would be fine. Are you sure it's the height of the just the rim and not the rim and tire's diameter combined? I'm really concerned about the rims width. Thanks Ernie H
There are more than a few who run the 18's up front.
Most would mount something like 265/35/18 up front however.
If you're bent on running 295's I'm not sure, but you might have clearance issues, and to maintain the TC system you'd have to go 30 series.
Old 07-04-2016, 09:49 AM
UstaB-GS549
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

The front tire diameter can be the same as the rear without having an effect on ABS/TC. I did this for years without issue.

The 10.5 rear wheel will cause some tire sizes to rub on frame at full lock, but that is a situation that only occurs when parking.

The outside of a 305 & 315 will rub on the inside of the fender if you don't have enough negative camber. This will also depend on ride height also. If you are not tracking the car this may not be an issue.
Old 07-04-2016, 07:28 PM
Emerica88
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

No, I wouldn't consider spacers either. I was just wondering if anyone had put that wide of a rim on the front without doing anything as far as offset. Thanks, Ernie H
If you search you'll find that people have run 12s up front with the correct offset.
Old 07-05-2016, 06:59 PM
ehuron
Advanced

Default wheels

Originally Posted by grantv
There are more than a few who run the 18's up front.
Most would mount something like 265/35/18 up front however.
If you're bent on running 295's I'm not sure, but you might have clearance issues, and to maintain the TC system you'd have to go 30 series.
I don't think everybody understands my question. I want to run the same "rims" 18"x10.5" all around. The rears would have the 295's, the fronts would have 265's or less. The reason for the 10.5" rims all around is so that I can keep a spare (rim) that would fit at all 4 corners in my storeroom instead of one 9.5 and a 10.5. the 295's are only on the rear. I'm just worried about the 10.5" rim on front. But someone said I shouldn't have a problem with a 265 or less. Correct?
Old 07-06-2016, 07:29 AM
UstaB-GS549
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

I don't think everybody understands my question. I want to run the same "rims" 18"x10.5" all around. The rears would have the 295's, the fronts would have 265's or less. The reason for the 10.5" rims all around is so that I can keep a spare (rim) that would fit at all 4 corners in my storeroom instead of one 9.5 and a 10.5. the 295's are only on the rear. I'm just worried about the 10.5" rim on front. But someone said I shouldn't have a problem with a 265 or less. Correct?
265 is about the narrowest tire that is recommended for a a 10.5 wide rim.

Get notified of new replies

To Wheels

Quick Reply: Wheels