C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Active Handling Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2016, 03:43 PM
Artizan
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Active Handling Question

He guys, '99 C5 with 80k. Active Handling does not work. So, if I understand correctly, active handling was an option on the '99. The active handling went out on this car over a year ago and I get the 'active handling warming up' then 'service engine soon' on the DCI. I can remove with reset button. I understand that the '99 and '00 models had a specific part for the active handling that is now virtually impossible to get. The previous owners mechanic found a used one on Ebay but he decided not to pursue that. The car runs excellent. I just replaced the original plugs, wires and oil sensor sender. This car runs tight and strong. Automatic. So, I have read some threads stating random, weird issues with active handling. Can the car actually 'take over' steering or braking?? I have not had anything happen but am nervous since my wife also drives it. The mechanic tried to assure me that essentially the active handling is totally out on the car, and it is basically like driving in a car that didn't have the option. Can someone give me peace of mind? Thanks.
Old 07-08-2016, 04:42 PM
Artizan
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
If you want the AH to be totally inactive, which yours seems not to be from your descriptions, you need to disconnect the connector to the Steering Wheel Position Sensor which is at the base of the steering column .

You should consider posting the codes that your car has to see if there is something that is repairable even given that the SWPS and EBCM are not available except as used for 97 - 2000 C5's. JMHO
Yeah, the SWPS. That's the used part that was found. I'll pull codes. There were a lot of 'H' codes when I bought it. Most went away after clearing.

I will be able to see the connector for the SWPS? Don't want to unplug anything else When it is disconnected, do the same messages come up on the DIC?
Old 07-08-2016, 04:48 PM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 463 Likes on 374 Posts

CLEAR your codes, then go for a drive, THEN BEFORE you KILL the car pull the codes again...this will give you C or Current codes
Then post them...
Old 07-09-2016, 06:38 PM
Nasbluec5
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I also have a 99 with AH. The active handling/service soon is on with mine as well. I have code 1283 which is too much time to center steering. A couple days ago the contacts on my light control stock started malfunctioning so while I removed that and repaired it (very easy repair if you ever have to do it) I finally broke out my MM and tested the SWPS. Just shy of center, maybe 10 degrees off the voltage goes from 2.4 up to 3.6-8 volts. This indicates that the sensor is bad. Depending on your code you may have to do the same thing to verify.

I've been eyeballing that thread regarding the conversion to 01+ but it seems rather daunting sourcing everything. Unfortunately it may be our only reprieve from this issue. I can't justify spending 400+ on a used sensor when I could probably source all those conversion parts for a couple hundred more and sell my current parts to break even on the conversion. Just some food for thought from another person dealing with the same exact issue.
Old 07-10-2016, 11:42 AM
Artizan
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Nasbluec5
I also have a 99 with AH. The active handling/service soon is on with mine as well. I have code 1283 which is too much time to center steering. A couple days ago the contacts on my light control stock started malfunctioning so while I removed that and repaired it (very easy repair if you ever have to do it) I finally broke out my MM and tested the SWPS. Just shy of center, maybe 10 degrees off the voltage goes from 2.4 up to 3.6-8 volts. This indicates that the sensor is bad. Depending on your code you may have to do the same thing to verify.

I've been eyeballing that thread regarding the conversion to 01+ but it seems rather daunting sourcing everything. Unfortunately it may be our only reprieve from this issue. I can't justify spending 400+ on a used sensor when I could probably source all those conversion parts for a couple hundred more and sell my current parts to break even on the conversion. Just some food for thought from another person dealing with the same exact issue.
Yeah, thanks for that. I have driven the car enough that I am more confident with it. Considering the AH was an option, I am not convinced that I need to put much more attention to this. I will pull the new codes this week and see if there is something else I might be overlooking that could be an easier remedy. Otherwise, I love this car. I don't understand all of the performance mods that guys do with the C5. 335 HP is plenty for me. This car loves to cruise at 90-95 - easily. And I honestly prefer the solid 4 speed tranny. I rented a new C7 a couple of months ago and, yes, it was amazing. But my C5 with 80k miles, from the second owner, with extensive service documentation, for 11 grand is a far easier pill to swallow than 70k for a new one And I see from C7 tech threads that they have plenty of their own issues. Love the 'Vette regardless. All machines have their issues.
Old 07-12-2016, 04:15 PM
Artizan
Intermediate

Default Codes

OK, so I pulled new codes and was actually pleasantly surprised to have just the one code: C 1283. When I pulled codes after purchase, several weeks ago, there were atleast 20. This C 1283 definitely relates to the steering wheel centering and is the part that is now unavailable, right? The alignment seems right on and the new tires are to spec.

Last edited by Artizan; 07-12-2016 at 04:17 PM.
Old 07-12-2016, 04:19 PM
Nasbluec5
Instructor

Yup, I have that same exact code. Swps is bad. And we're both SOL. I'm actually looking around locally to see if I can find a wrecked 01-04 to pull the parts off of to do the conversion. It's really out only option at this point.
Old 07-12-2016, 04:23 PM
Artizan
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Nasbluec5
Yup, I have that same exact code. Swps is bad. And we're both SOL. I'm actually looking around locally to see if I can find a wrecked 01-04 to pull the parts off of to do the conversion. It's really out only option at this point.
As I think I said before, I am not overly concerned about this. I have driven the car enough and feel confident with it. Yes, it would be great to have fixed, but not for the price that they want for a used part. Others may have more info...
Old 07-12-2016, 05:07 PM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 463 Likes on 374 Posts

Old 07-12-2016, 05:36 PM
popshumphrey
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16

I have had this code kick up on a 97 for 7 years now. I have to agree with Artizan to let it ride. Keep me posted if you guys have any other issues with it.
Old 07-12-2016, 05:42 PM
Nasbluec5
Instructor

Yea doing the conversion isn't at the top of my list, my AH will still intervene if **** gets crazy.

Get notified of new replies

To Another Active Handling Question

Quick Reply: Another Active Handling Question