C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with clutch decision!!! Please

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2016, 09:17 PM
cloud 9
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Help with clutch decision!!! Please

Ok. Story. I recently bought my first Corvette. 97 6spd. Guy I bought it from showed me a reciept for a new clutch and slave, looks like the master was done also. The pedal is sooo stiff my leg keeps cramping up in traffic. My brother (a GM tech) drove it this weekend said of all the C5 sticks he has driven. Nothing had ever been like that, stiffness and slight vibration while revving the engine. Possible the flywheel being out of balance. The clutch kit that was put in was a K50185-1 kit from the local auto parts store. I really want it fixed right. Any advice on a pretty much stock vette clutch would be appreciated. I don't want anything crazy just factory feeling and reliable as I am not going to race it or pull sick HP out of it. It seems that the factory clutch disk is no longer manufactured by GM. so it seems like that is not an option.
Old 07-10-2016, 09:25 PM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 463 Likes on 374 Posts

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-2004-z06.html
Old 07-10-2016, 09:34 PM
cloud 9
Instructor

Thanks. I'm watching that thread already. Trying to figure out why the pedal is so damn stiff. If I can fix what's in there already I'll leave it.
Old 07-10-2016, 09:49 PM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by cloud 9
Thanks. I'm watching that thread already. Trying to figure out why the pedal is so damn stiff. If I can fix what's in there already I'll leave it.
What master is it?
Old 07-10-2016, 10:07 PM
cloud 9
Instructor

Not sure. I can only assume that it was bought at the local o'Reilly auto parts store where the got the clutch kit.
Old 07-10-2016, 10:21 PM
Tusc
Running Guns & Moonshine
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,284 Likes on 1,938 Posts

If you're looking for a new clutch, I HIGHLY recommend the McLeod RST. RXT if you're going to go nuts with power - that one holds 800+ tq?

Super light pedal, guaranteed grip, inexpensive to rebuild/upgrade.

Having had an OLD spec 3 clutch in a trans am years ago which cramped my leg in a traffic jam so bad that I had to clutch by pushing my knee with my left arm one time... I know your pain! McLeod for the win.
Old 07-10-2016, 11:00 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

For stock, an LS6 clutch is a great choice. The LS7 works too but it's heavy so it does cause a drop in the HP available at the wheels.
Old 07-11-2016, 01:07 AM
My Vette Life
Safety Car

Received 240 Likes on 186 Posts

Ok. Story. I recently bought my first Corvette. 97 6spd. Guy I bought it from showed me a reciept for a new clutch and slave, looks like the master was done also. The pedal is sooo stiff my leg keeps cramping up in traffic. My brother (a GM tech) drove it this weekend said of all the C5 sticks he has driven. Nothing had ever been like that, stiffness and slight vibration while revving the engine. Possible the flywheel being out of balance. The clutch kit that was put in was a K50185-1 kit from the local auto parts store. I really want it fixed right. Any advice on a pretty much stock vette clutch would be appreciated. I don't want anything crazy just factory feeling and reliable as I am not going to race it or pull sick HP out of it. It seems that the factory clutch disk is no longer manufactured by GM. so it seems like that is not an option.
bad fluid can cause a stiff pedal, Have you inspect the fluid?
Old 07-11-2016, 01:29 AM
Nasbluec5
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Personally for my car I'll be doing a monster stage 2 package from tick with an 18# flywheel. I don't intend to ever make more than 500 hp. Vibration is more than likely your flywheel. Most people cheap out on balancing clutch components.

As far as your super stiff pedal the only thing I could think of is a gross oversizing of your master cylinder. What's your pedal travel like for engagement/disengagement?
The following users liked this post:
SNL/MonsterClutchCo (07-23-2016)
Old 07-11-2016, 09:06 AM
cloud 9
Instructor

Originally Posted by Nurburgring
bad fluid can cause a stiff pedal, Have you inspect the fluid?
Yes the fluid does look pretty dirty. I will check and see what the make on the master cylinder is. Maybe replace it with factory gm, then flush the system and replace the fluid. That seems to be the easiest place to start. As far as the vibration, I'll look into either balancing my flywheel or replacing it later. Thanks for the input guys!
Old 07-11-2016, 09:50 AM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Yes the fluid does look pretty dirty. I will check and see what the make on the master cylinder is. Maybe replace it with factory gm, then flush the system and replace the fluid. That seems to be the easiest place to start. As far as the vibration, I'll look into either balancing my flywheel or replacing it later. Thanks for the input guys!
The reason I asked is I believe McLeod makes an adjustable MC, I don't know if adjusting it helps with pedal stiffness or not?

I have read where some track guys "vented" their bell housing dust covers to get more air flow to reduce heat and to keep clutch dust from accumulating in the bell housing...

Last edited by 73Corvette; 07-11-2016 at 04:18 PM.
Old 07-11-2016, 10:09 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

The very FIRST place I would start is the MASTER CYL. If its an adjustable, it could be causing the extra peddle pressure.

BC
The following users liked this post:
73Corvette (07-11-2016)
Old 07-11-2016, 05:30 PM
cloud 9
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
The very FIRST place I would start is the MASTER CYL. If its an adjustable, it could be causing the extra peddle pressure.

BC
That is sound advice. I can live with the clutch for now if it wasn't so damn stiff. It wrecks my knee when I get stuck in traffic. I'll poke around and see what brand it is and then look into bleeding it and getting some fresh fluid in there.
Old 07-22-2016, 09:07 PM
cloud 9
Instructor

So I started to clean out the muddy fluid in the reservoir. Syphoned it out and put new in. Gonna run it for a bit and try it again. Didnt seem to help at all. Has anyone used ZIP CORVETTE for anything, are they reputable? I see that they have an aftermarket HD z06 clutch kit. I am thinking of just replacing everything in there with new as I dont know what the guy before me did in there. Like new gm slave, master, and the z06 clutch kit as I know the flywheel needs to be balance anyway. I dont want anything crazy as it stock and I dont plan on doing too much to it. I just want a good pedal and no vibrations. I was thinking of grabbing a pair of the drive shaft couplers and putting them in for good measure as I am sure they are original and 19 years old. Does that sound reasonable?
Old 07-22-2016, 09:56 PM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

So I started to clean out the muddy fluid in the reservoir. Syphoned it out and put new in. Gonna run it for a bit and try it again. Didnt seem to help at all. Has anyone used ZIP CORVETTE for anything, are they reputable? I see that they have an aftermarket HD z06 clutch kit. I am thinking of just replacing everything in there with new as I dont know what the guy before me did in there. Like new gm slave, master, and the z06 clutch kit as I know the flywheel needs to be balance anyway. I dont want anything crazy as it stock and I dont plan on doing too much to it. I just want a good pedal and no vibrations. I was thinking of grabbing a pair of the drive shaft couplers and putting them in for good measure as I am sure they are original and 19 years old. Does that sound reasonable?
I've bought several things from ZiP ... very happy with them.
Old 07-23-2016, 08:32 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

ZIP is an outstanding vendor with a very good reputation.. I've purchased NUMEOUS things from them and have been very happy.

Bill
Old 07-23-2016, 12:47 PM
0SNL/MonsterClutchCo
Former Vendor

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

LT1-S twin if you want something to drive like stock and hold up to 700 rwhp, with stock drivability and you can abuse the heck out of it. Level 2 is you make less than 500 rwhp and want to do the same with stock drivability.

The adjustable masters will increase pedal effort ~40%, all of our units are designed to work with stock hydraulics, both units mentioned above have stock pedal feel.

Our stuff is on sale right now through the end of the month, I'd take a look at them - www.monsterclutches.com

Get notified of new replies

To Help with clutch decision!!! Please

Old 08-01-2016, 07:34 PM
cloud 9
Instructor

Has anyone used the torque tube couplers from Corvette Central lately? I am having a hard time swallowing the 130 dollar price of the factory GM ones. I dont even know if mine are bad but since I'm going to be digging into it. I wanted to have a couple on hand just in case they are.
Old 08-06-2016, 07:07 PM
wvufan1965
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Has anyone used the torque tube couplers from Corvette Central lately? I am having a hard time swallowing the 130 dollar price of the factory GM ones. I dont even know if mine are bad but since I'm going to be digging into it. I wanted to have a couple on hand just in case they are.
are you planning on doing this yourself?
Old 08-07-2016, 08:26 AM
cloud 9
Instructor

Originally Posted by wvufan1965
are you planning on doing this yourself?
Yes. My brother is a GM tech. And we have access on the weekends at the dealership he works at.

Quick Reply: Help with clutch decision!!! Please