C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 Corvette Coupe Tire Pressure Sensors

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2016, 06:48 PM
brock777
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Corvette Coupe Tire Pressure Sensors

How are you guys. My 2000 Corvette Coupe showed a DIC message telling me to service my Tire Pressure Monitoring System. I reset all 4 sensors using a magnet, and received a beep after resetting each sensor. The right rear sensor does not display any tire pressure, and the other three sensors are not giving me the correct tire pressures. Do I need to replace all 4 sensors; and if so, are there any good less expensive aftermarket sensors that I can still use a magnet to reset, rather than a proprietary tool? Thanks so much for your help. Best Regards--Bob
Old 07-20-2016, 08:09 PM
Greg_E
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 58 Posts

You are in good hands with 8VETTE7.
If they are the original sensors you did well to have them last this long. The lithium batteries have about a 10 year lifespan.
Each sensor is imprinted with a date code. Look for the two clock faces that are molded into the body of the sensor. The arrow points to the month of manufacture on one, and the year of manufacture on the other.
It seems that many people have had difficulty programming some of the aftermarket ones so it is probably best to stick with GM or the Schrader sensors . They are the OEM supplier to GM. They are about $70 each.
If you plan on keeping the car a long time you can upgrade to the 2001-2004 sensors ($40) but you need to replace the receiver and key fobs so it doesn't save you any money.
If your handy and can solder you can replace the batteries yourself for very little money.

There are many threads covering these subjects. Do a search to see all your options.

Last edited by Greg_E; 07-20-2016 at 08:14 PM.
Old 07-21-2016, 03:46 PM
brock777
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks so much for your great responses 8VETTE7 and Greg. Yes, I have driven the car since reprogramming the sensors. I am going to try inflating the tires higher and then resetting all 4 sensors again, as I have read that this worked for some owners. If this does not work, then I will attempt to retrieve all my relevant codes. Thanks again--this is an outstanding forum--Bob.
Old 07-21-2016, 07:37 PM
Greg_E
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by brock777
Thanks so much for your great responses 8VETTE7 and Greg. Yes, I have driven the car since reprogramming the sensors. I am going to try inflating the tires higher and then resetting all 4 sensors again, as I have read that this worked for some owners. If this does not work, then I will attempt to retrieve all my relevant codes. Thanks again--this is an outstanding forum--Bob.
I would just pull the codes like 8VETTE7 asked. The more I thought about it I don't think all of them would fail at the same time. He is the expert.
Old 07-22-2016, 09:37 PM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

If it turns out that you are in need of new TPMS sensors, you can purchase everything you need to switch to the new (less expensive) sensors, including a new later model key FOB, for less than the cost of replacing the early model sensors alone.

Cultrag Performance, a Forum sponsor, offers everything you need to do the job. Their ad for this setup pops up periodically on the C5 Forum. http://www.cultragfactoryparts.com/

Good luck... GUSTO
Old 07-22-2016, 11:43 PM
CactusCat
Melting Slicks

Received 209 Likes on 156 Posts

Way way way cheaper options out there on new TPM sensors now. Just installed a new full set on my 98 (the *more* expensive ones) and total cost mailed to my house was $111. Installed all 4 last week, programmed perfectly with a hand held scan tool at Discount Tire. Working perfectly.
Old 07-23-2016, 09:11 AM
Greg_E
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by CactusCat
Way way way cheaper options out there on new TPM sensors now. Just installed a new full set on my 98 (the *more* expensive ones) and total cost mailed to my house was $111. Installed all 4 last week, programmed perfectly with a hand held scan tool at Discount Tire. Working perfectly.
Can you give a little more info regarding which ones you bought? Many people have had issues programming some of the aftermarket sensors.
Old 07-23-2016, 12:23 PM
CactusCat
Melting Slicks

https://tpms247.com/
Old 07-23-2016, 12:41 PM
Greg_E
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by CactusCat
Excellent!!! The Schrader sensors are $75 on Amazon. Same part number. You said you got the more expensive ones but either should work. The original sensors were made by Schrader.
Old 07-23-2016, 12:56 PM
CactusCat
Melting Slicks

in Ohio, no less....
Old 08-03-2016, 09:06 PM
Gene Culley
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 160 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by GUSTO14
If it turns out that you are in need of new TPMS sensors, you can purchase everything you need to switch to the new (less expensive) sensors, including a new later model key FOB, for less than the cost of replacing the early model sensors alone.

Cultrag Performance, a Forum sponsor, offers everything you need to do the job. Their ad for this setup pops up periodically on the C5 Forum. http://www.cultragfactoryparts.com/

Good luck... GUSTO
Thanks for the referral. We would certainly be happy to help out.

Shop Our Factory GM Parts Website

Get notified of new replies

To 2000 Corvette Coupe Tire Pressure Sensors

Quick Reply: 2000 Corvette Coupe Tire Pressure Sensors