C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air Conditioner Not Cooling Well

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2016, 11:33 AM
my6thvette
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Air Conditioner Not Cooling Well

The air conditioner, on my 1999 Vette is not cooling well this year. There are no codes. The strange thing is that air, from the vents, becomes cooler when the car is idling and is less cool when the car is in motion. Any suggestion for what is causing this?
Old 07-22-2016, 11:48 AM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Received 534 Likes on 490 Posts

Yep probably low refrigerant. How many miles are on the car?
Old 07-22-2016, 01:16 PM
my6thvette
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The car has only 67k miles on it. My first thought was also low refrigerant. I added a small amount and it did seem to improve it a bit. Unfortunately, the gage set, that I have, fits only the low pressure side and the hose to the high pressure side does not mate up with the larger connector on the car. As a result, I was reluctant to add a large amount of refrigerant, not being able to monitor the high pressure side. Is there an adaptor available to connect the standard high pressure hose to the larger port on the high pressure side? I thought it was strange that, when stopped at traffic lights, the air exiting the vents became dramatically became cooler. Is this also an indication of low refrigerant?
Old 07-22-2016, 04:12 PM
rrwirsi
Melting Slicks

Received 1,211 Likes on 772 Posts

Not saying this is your fix, but when I had similar issues, I changed the air circulation from outside to inside. Cold air was the result at all speeds.
Old 07-24-2016, 10:13 AM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 121 Posts

Blow out the condenser from back to front.

When you get in the car put it on outside air and crack the windows to let that 150 degree air out for 10 or so minutes and then put it on recirculate and roll up the windows.

Last edited by FASTFATBOY; 07-27-2016 at 12:02 PM.
Old 07-27-2016, 11:24 AM
gpruitt54
Burning Brakes

Received 181 Likes on 125 Posts

I just recently cleaned and reinstalled the air filter on the Vortex Jammer intake system on my 99 C5, and noticed what seemed like a lot of debris in the radiator fins.

What is the preferred means of cleaning the debris from the radiator, garden hose, or air?
Old 07-27-2016, 12:00 PM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by gpruitt54
I just recently cleaned and reinstalled the air filter on the Vortex Jammer intake system on my 99 C5, and noticed what seemed like a lot of debris in the radiator fins.

What is the preferred means of cleaning the debris from the radiator, garden hose, or air?
Pull the radiator out and clean the fins, took 2.5 hours to get mine 80% clean. I used a stiff bristle brush, purple power, air hose(be careful you'll fold the fins over) and water.

I now blow it out with a homemade wand as maintenance.

Get notified of new replies

To Air Conditioner Not Cooling Well

Quick Reply: Air Conditioner Not Cooling Well