C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TPM old or new

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2016, 05:28 PM
Yellow '01
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default TPM old or new

Hi everyone,
Took my RFI module out and was inspecting it. I am not sure as to which this unit is. Its a three wire plug in and has the antenna as pictured. This style is listed as an 97 through 00 on ebay. My Julian date on the module is 97126/09:09am
The newer style 01 to 04 is the black box pictured in this post as listed on ebay. I'm not sure as to what I have now as I know the car is an 01 but the module I took out is of the older style. Not sure what to do here - Can you help? Codes are C2120 U 1096 U 1064 U 1016. Last question, how do you know what frequency the wheel sensors are operation on?
Thanks
Yellow '01
Attached Images   

Last edited by Yellow '01; 07-22-2016 at 05:33 PM.
Old 07-22-2016, 10:57 PM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 626 Likes on 488 Posts

The pictures match to your descriptions of the old and new versions. It is odd that your '01 had an early version in it.

Did the TPMS and the key fobs work with the old version receiver?

Visually there is a difference in appearance between the old vs. new TPMS sensors and also the key fobs. The early fobs are a little bit thicker than the later style and the '97-'99 have a switch for passive/active. The early sensors are wider than the newer style.

It would be good to know which version these components are also, so that you can put in a compatible receiver. (although I replaced the early setup with a later setup because I needed TPMS sensors and I had a bad key fob)

Which frequency? This is a common misconception between early and late. Both of them are 315Mhz. They do have a different signal that does not interchange between the early and late systems though.
The following users liked this post:
Yellow '01 (07-23-2016)
Old 07-23-2016, 07:55 PM
Yellow '01
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by QCVette
The pictures match to your descriptions of the old and new versions. It is odd that your '01 had an early version in it.

Did the TPMS and the key fobs work with the old version receiver?

Visually there is a difference in appearance between the old vs. new TPMS sensors and also the key fobs. The early fobs are a little bit thicker than the later style and the '97-'99 have a switch for passive/active. The early sensors are wider than the newer style.

It would be good to know which version these components are also, so that you can put in a compatible receiver. (although I replaced the early setup with a later setup because I needed TPMS sensors and I had a bad key fob)

Which frequency? This is a common misconception between early and late. Both of them are 315Mhz. They do have a different signal that does not interchange between the early and late systems though.

QCVette,
Hi and thanks for the response! I have to start by saying that I did not get a fob with the car, the guy lost both and did not replace them. So I am unable to verify the type of fobs he had. WISH I COULD. The TPM worked with the old tires and wheels. When I put the new wheels and tires on that is when I got these problems. I tried to relearn the system as the online video says but to no avail, then all these codes popped up, what a drag. I had the car verified that it is an '01 at the dealership. I called Cultrag and visited with them on this and they can fix me up with everything for $500. At least I have an out there, just a little costly. Thursday of next week one of my friends at the dealership is going to TRY to identify the source of the U codes with the MDI. Once that's done, I'll probably get the kit and install it. I have heard that the TPM can be shut off with the Tech II on '01 and later Vettes. If that's true that may be the way I'll go for a while until I scrounge up the $500. Great info on the frequency and that set me at ease why the new and old units had the same freq listed in parts books at the parts stores.
Thanks again for the info!!
Yellow '01

Last edited by Yellow '01; 07-23-2016 at 08:03 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To TPM old or new

Quick Reply: TPM old or new