C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coilovers and drag brakes now installed on Vette.

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2016, 07:41 PM
smokinstorm
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Coilovers and drag brakes now installed on Vette.

While waiting to hear back from RPM about the transmission and what they found that's causing it to fail, Mayhem Motorsports went ahead and started installing some of the new goodies on the car today. Got these pics from them late this afternoon.

Rear coilovers going on when transmission comes back. Jay ordered for me the Weld RT-S 15" x 4" skinnies for the front with Mickey Thompson 26" front runners as well so that's also a significant weight savings. Now I've only got a couple hundred more to go until I weigh about what the rest of you do. We were 3740 to start. Shooting for 3400 by the time the MIR track rental comes around on 11-14-16. Lots more weight reduction to go.
Old 07-26-2016, 09:01 AM
C5 Pete
AMP Racing
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 466 Likes on 352 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2017 C5 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12

Very cool. What coil over brand did you use?
Old 07-26-2016, 10:59 AM
smokinstorm
Racer

Originally Posted by Capthuff
Very cool. What coil over brand did you use?
LG Motorsports GT2's. I've been up in the air about them as I've seen 60's as low as 1.22 without them on drag radials but they are a weight reduction as well and I'm now very serious about getting some weight off our heavy pig. If Mayhem and RPM can finally get the bugs worked out of the transmission I'm gonna shoot for a 5 in a big way.
Old 07-26-2016, 02:17 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Originally Posted by smokinstorm
LG Motorsports GT2's. I've been up in the air about them as I've seen 60's as low as 1.22 without them on drag radials but they are a weight reduction as well and I'm now very serious about getting some weight off our heavy pig. If Mayhem and RPM can finally get the bugs worked out of the transmission I'm gonna shoot for a 5 in a big way.
If you got them through Mayhem, I think I just put your set together this morning and should be shipping today.
Old 07-26-2016, 03:03 PM
smokinstorm
Racer

Originally Posted by Anthony @ LGMotorsports
If you got them through Mayhem, I think I just put your set together this morning and should be shipping today.
I got them through Mayhem but Jay told me he already had a set in stock that was on one of the shop cars??? He gave me a great deal on them and that's why I didn't buy directly from you, Anthony. I haven't been over and seen them yet. Jay just sent me these pics to show they were on the car.

Last edited by smokinstorm; 07-26-2016 at 04:05 PM.
Old 07-26-2016, 03:22 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Originally Posted by smokinstorm
I got them through Mayhem but Jay told me he already had a set in stock that was on one of the shop cars??? He game me a great deal on them and that's why I didn't buy directly from you, Anthony. I haven't been over and seen them yet. Jay just sent me these pics to show they were on the car.
Possibly....not sure. They buy a lot and might have had a set on the shelf already.
Old 07-27-2016, 09:54 AM
HardcoreABN
Drifting

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

How much street use do you expect to see with it? I have been looking at the Strange drag brakes for mine, but am uneasy about it since it is my DD.
Old 07-27-2016, 11:11 AM
smokinstorm
Racer

Originally Posted by HardcoreABN
How much street use do you expect to see with it? I have been looking at the Strange drag brakes for mine, but am uneasy about it since it is my DD.
We're not planning on daily driving it anymore but I live rught here on the OBX and the car is kept inland at my partner in crime's house about 75 miles inland. I plan on driving it from his house to down here on a somewhat regular basis. I read in a thread about drag brakes that a gentleman installed them all the way around and drove on the street regularly with no issues whatsoever. He even said he could lock up the brakes if he pressed on the pedal sufficiently. I'll try to find a link or quote his post for you. I think you're probably OK as long as you're not on a road course, mountain pass or something else that abuses the brakes badly. I've just got to do something to get weight off of this car as there's no way we can haul an extra 500 pounds down the track vs the masses and still compete. The brakes are just the start. Much more weight reduction to follow as funds avail themselves.

Last edited by smokinstorm; 07-27-2016 at 11:12 AM.
Old 07-27-2016, 11:17 AM
smokinstorm
Racer

Here's the post I read from a gentleman that had installed drag brakes on his C5. Take it for what it's worth. I'm going to do it for sure. No doubt. No questions. No regrets (I hope).

Originally Posted by DBN
View Post
Strange makes lightweight drag brakes and rotors for the front and rear of the C5. I reduced about 40 pounds from the front and the same from the rear by going with the Strange brakes and rotors. If you don't drive your car on the street this is a great way to reduce a lot of weight from your car. Good luck. I have been using them on the street for a couple of years. In process of replacing front pads and rotors but I have had zero problems using on the street and YES I have locked them up once or twice IMHO there is plenty of stopping power with them for the street - is there another reason we are not supposed to do this?

Get notified of new replies

To Coilovers and drag brakes now installed on Vette.

Quick Reply: Coilovers and drag brakes now installed on Vette.