C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trans leak

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2016, 03:36 PM
ClevelandTim
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Trans leak

Ive got a 2000 C% with 153,000 miles. I have a persistent trans drip. Since its red in color I'm guessing its not the axle seals. The leak really looks to be a common pan leak. I tightened up the bolts but still has a drip. Do the pans commonly leak or am I not catching the source?

Thanks,
Tim
Old 07-30-2016, 02:38 PM
tbrowne
Pro

Received 100 Likes on 83 Posts

I Don't think pan leaks are common but any trans leak on these cars is cause for concern. If fluid gets low, the trans will fail in a very short time. Checking fluid level isn't easy to do for most, so I'd advise to get it checked asap. Pulling the pan, changing fluid and filter is easy enough if you have a place to do it. The new trans filter comes with a new gasket that should cure any gasket leaks. Take it to a transmission shop for the work if you don't have a place or would just rather let someone else do it. A trans shop can also check for other sources of leaks - could be worth it to have a shop do it. Just don't trust it to your local oil change place. I'm assuming you have an automatic since the fluid is red.

Last edited by tbrowne; 07-30-2016 at 02:41 PM. Reason: Fixed wording
Old 07-30-2016, 03:45 PM
not2old
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Red fluid

Originally Posted by tbrowne
I'm assuming you have an automatic since the fluid is red.
The fluid in my manual is red as is the gear oil in my diff. I would assume since it has a pan it's an auto. The manual doesn't have a pan. You really need to clean the area thoroughly first to try to determine the source of the leak.
Old 07-30-2016, 04:03 PM
Smoken1
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 971 Likes on 783 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

If it is an auto I have seen the seal on the side leak (shift shaft seal)

Get notified of new replies

To Trans leak

Quick Reply: Trans leak