C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No Sound from iSimple Module

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2016, 11:10 AM
work_truck
Burning Brakes

Received 97 Likes on 57 Posts
Default No Sound from iSimple Module

Let me preface this by saying I have read every relevant thread here that I could find, and tried all the fixes twice before making this thread.

So a couple weeks ago I ordered the iSimple set up, my car does not have the CD changer so I got the one that plugs into the back of the head unit. I have the factory tape deck with the AUX button.

I am using my iPhone 5S and the aux cord attachment from the iSimple (surely the input does not matter with an aux cord correct?)

Radio powers on, I get the CD symbol, I select AUX and it changes over from the radio, but there is no sound, and the run time just flashes from 1:00 to 2:00. I can skip "tracks" (1 through 99) but nothing happens.

I plugged everything in securely, dip switches 3 and 8 on (I tried resetting, turning all on off, tried 1,3,8 etc from other threads.)

I tried removing and replacing the radio fuses, turning the car off and unplugging then plugging it back in with the car on etc. If there was a fix documented, I tried it.

That being said, I returned that one and ordered a whole new setup from Double D mods because of the reputation they have for customer service and Dennis' knowledge of the Corvette stereo. This unit does the exact same thing. I plan on calling for help but I thought I would document it here as well for the future.

What am I missing? Is it because I have the tape deck? Car is a 1999 FRC if it matters.

Last edited by work_truck; 08-08-2016 at 11:11 AM.
Old 08-10-2016, 02:33 PM
mrmagloo
Pro

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

It might be the cable, but I will warn you that this iSimple Ipod units are pretty flaky to begin with. Half the time, mine wont start the Ipod on it's own, so I have to manually control the ipod until it starts playing. And then, more often than not, you can only skip forward so many songs out of a playlist before it repeats. Pretty buggy, but if the new one is acting just like the old one, and it wont work at all, it might be the cable or something else.
The following users liked this post:
Y2KNavyBlue (10-07-2017)
Old 08-10-2016, 03:26 PM
work_truck
Burning Brakes

Received 97 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by mrmagloo
It might be the cable, but I will warn you that this iSimple Ipod units are pretty flaky to begin with. Half the time, mine wont start the Ipod on it's own, so I have to manually control the ipod until it starts playing. And then, more often than not, you can only skip forward so many songs out of a playlist before it repeats. Pretty buggy, but if the new one is acting just like the old one, and it wont work at all, it might be the cable or something else.

Thanks for the feedback, I read that same diagnosis in a lot of the other threads.

I might have to settle for an OEM CD player since I don't want to pony up for the DD bezel and I feel like its the only worthwile upgrade from the stock head unit.
Old 08-11-2016, 04:27 PM
mrmagloo
Pro

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by work_truck
Thanks for the feedback, I read that same diagnosis in a lot of the other threads.

I might have to settle for an OEM CD player since I don't want to pony up for the DD bezel and I feel like its the only worthwile upgrade from the stock head unit.
Yeah, I even contacted iSimple about these bugs and they insisted they work fine. I shared a video with them demonstrating the issues, and they said they would give that to the engineers to hopefully come up with a firmware upgrade. 6 months later, the attitude changes in that it's probably the fault of my radio, and everyone elses that bought these things.

Imho, if you manually control the ipod, it's not so bad, but you get what you pay for. I wish you luck.
Old 08-12-2016, 07:52 PM
3sACROWD
Melting Slicks

Received 444 Likes on 327 Posts

Dumb question and just spit balling an idea. Did you try to adjust the volume on your phone?
Old 08-13-2016, 01:16 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 525 Likes on 374 Posts

I have the Double D / ISimple setup that replaced my 12 disk CD unit, and I am using an IPod, so my situation is different, but I have to "reboot" my IPod every time I restart the car, in order to hear the music. Hence I had to locate the IPod in an area that was accessable.

Good luck,
Plasticman

Last edited by Plasticman; 08-13-2016 at 01:17 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To No Sound from iSimple Module

Quick Reply: No Sound from iSimple Module