C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 radio won't turn on

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2016, 12:05 PM
beezebeau
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C5 radio won't turn on

I've tried searching for some info on switching or installing OEM factory radios in C5 vettes. The radio I installed in question is out of a 98 C5 (mine is a 02 Z06) that I picked up because the buttons are in better condition than mine. Problem is, I installed the 98 radio and everything works the lights, clock etc. but the radio FM won't turn on and the little red light at 2 o' clock is constantly ON. It does NOT blink like it is in theft mode or have any codes on the display. The light is just constantly on. Any ideas? I'm at a loss, all fuses good. Disconnected and re-connected battery cables. Installed my old radio and everything works. Please help. I'll try my best to post a photo. Thanks guys.
Attached Images  
Old 08-18-2016, 12:41 PM
any4xx
Drifting

Received 85 Likes on 51 Posts

Sounds like your radio has the TheftLock enabled and someone entered the wrong code enough times to lock it up.
Old 08-18-2016, 01:11 PM
beezebeau
Intermediate

Originally Posted by any4xx
Sounds like your radio has the TheftLock enabled and someone entered the wrong code enough times to lock it up.

Thanks for the reply I really appreciate it. Is the radio a boat anchor or where do I go from here? I never came across a thread about the radio's being locked up with a steady light after entering the wrong code so many times.

I didn't realize the older C5 radio's illuminated red on the buttons, kinda cool.
Old 08-18-2016, 01:26 PM
imjdoggie
Pro

Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

just did a quick search and this came up.........cannot open on work cpu but checked on phone and might be worth a shot.

http://www.wikihow.com/Unlock-Your-L...heftlock-Radio
Old 08-18-2016, 01:50 PM
beezebeau
Intermediate

Originally Posted by imjdoggie
just did a quick search and this came up.........cannot open on work cpu but checked on phone and might be worth a shot.

http://www.wikihow.com/Unlock-Your-L...heftlock-Radio

Yeah, I've come across quite a lot of those how-to's. Thanks for the link and the help though I appreciate it. Problem is, I don't have a "LOC" or "LOCKED" on my screen or any indication on the stereo display alerting me that it is locked up or in theft mode or anything. The light doesn't blink, it's on solid. I've tried touching the 1 & 2 at the same time to start the process, some threads say 2 & 3 etc. the stereo still does nothing and clock display stays constant, so I can't move on from that step in the unlocking theft process. Like previously stated above, I think it has been locked out completely from someone trying to attempt a similar link you sent to unlock it and now it might be permanently locked with the light on solid?
Old 08-18-2016, 02:21 PM
beezebeau
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
I have written down that the radio must be turned OFF. Then ignition ON and press 1 and 4 until a number appears in the window....................

8VETTE7- Thanks for your help.

How do I initially turn the radio to OFF? As soon as the driver door is opened it's on with the buttons illuminated. It doesn't matter when I press the power/volume button in with the ignition key on or off, the stereo does nothing. Not until I put the key in the column to ON does the clock come on and stay on. The little red light by the power/volume button stays on constantly.
Old 08-18-2016, 03:06 PM
beezebeau
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
Lights coming on when you open the door is normal. BCM controls that. Turning the radio on/off should be controlled by the VOL button by pressing it momentarily. It is a toggle switch. Press ON and press again and OFF. If it is not doing anything then that is most likely because of the theft lock logic in the radio itself.

You might try disconnecting the power from it again for a while. I have actually never seen one without the word LOC in the window when the red light was on solid.

If it is possible I would return it to the place you sourced it from.

Thanks again for the help, I appreciate it. I got it off eBay from vettenuts. In their ad before I purchased it, it stated everything worked but the CD player. I have left a voicemail and a couple emails with no response back yet. I will try and play with it more when I get home with some of the information that was mentioned, however I know I am just doing the same thing over and over. No wonder why I couldn't find any threads to help out my specific situation, whatever has happened to this stereo is not common at all.

Edited: To clarify, when I would press the volume button in and out momentarily or quickly ON and OFF, it did absolutely nothing.

Last edited by beezebeau; 08-18-2016 at 03:17 PM.
Old 08-18-2016, 08:26 PM
beezebeau
Intermediate

Ok...got somewhere! I pressed and held the 1 & 4 buttons for 6 seconds and it went - - - where the clock is on the upper right display. What do I do now? (Obviously the clock came back on after a few seconds due to inactivity).

Last edited by beezebeau; 08-18-2016 at 08:28 PM.
Old 08-19-2016, 05:33 AM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by beezebeau
Ok...got somewhere! I pressed and held the 1 & 4 buttons for 6 seconds and it went - - - where the clock is on the upper right display. What do I do now? (Obviously the clock came back on after a few seconds due to inactivity).
According to the OM, the presence of "- - -" indicates the radio is unlocked with no security code present, and ready for a code to be entered.
Try following the procedure for setting your own personal security code.
Old 01-26-2019, 03:03 PM
USRobo
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

I just had a Red Light constantly on my 2004 radio and it would not turn on or do anything. I searched a lot of threads and found one that said to pull fuse #5 on passenger side fuse box.

This worked for me and hopefully between this info and the information in this thread will help someone in the future.

Get notified of new replies

To C5 radio won't turn on

Quick Reply: C5 radio won't turn on