C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ignition Cylinder Lock

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2016, 02:10 PM
mwbgtb
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Ignition Cylinder Lock

I was getting the code B2723 a couple of times per week and read all the posts regarding this issue and it appears that the ignition cylinder lock needs to be replaced.
So I purchased the AC Delco part D1473D from Amazon and took the new unopened box that the ignition cylinder lock came in and also my original car key to the local locksmith here in town. This is what I have read in the posts about this problem.
The locksmith opened one of the three sealed bags along with my original car key and said that he can't do anything because it doesn't have any "Wafers" in the package.
So my question to you guys that have done this already, where do I go from here?
In all the posts that I have read concerning this, no one has said anything about these "Wafers".
Thanks for your help in advance!!!!
Old 08-19-2016, 04:02 PM
Remow2112
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Easiest way to do it is to pull your current lock cylinder and take it to the locksmith. He can move the tumblers over. You can also do a resistor fix to fool the VATS system.

I just had to do that on mine.

Dan...
Old 08-19-2016, 04:08 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Is the part that you purchased a COMPLETE LOCK CYLINDER ASSEMBLY (which contains the key resistor sensor assy)

You need to take the lock cylinder assy OUT OF THE IGNITION SWITCH ASSY and take the old cylinder assy and the new assy to the lock smith.

BC
Old 08-19-2016, 05:30 PM
mwbgtb
Instructor

Thanks guys for the input. The local locksmith and unfortunately the largest in the area looked to see if he had any Wafers/tumblers to fit the ignition cylinder, but he didn't.
The local dealership is closed, but I will check on Monday to see what they have to say. I really don't want to use the old wafers/tumblers just in case they are worn, the car is a 2000 coupe with 66k on it.
Old 08-23-2016, 01:37 PM
mwbgtb
Instructor

Ok guys, here is what I finally did to replace my worn ignition cylinder lock.
First I purchased the AC Delco part D1473D Ignition Lock Cylinder from Amazon for $71.78, but it DOES NOT come with the tumblers.
Went to several local locksmiths to purchase the tumblers and have them installed, but with no help.
Finally went to the local Dearership ( with the new cylinder lock and original car key) and had to bring proof of Ownership ( car title or car registration) and purchased the 10 tumblers for $34.03. I decided to have the Dearership install the tumblers instead of a locksmith because if there is a problem with the key not working, they will probably blame the other.
So I paid the Dealership $67.28 to have them install the 10 tumblers and springs.
I am sure that my local Dearership over charged me since I didn't purchase the cylinder lock from them, but at least it is over with and now I can install the ignition lock cylinder and the new ignition switch that I purchased also at the same time. If I was going to replace one, I might as well replace both and have it done.
I hope that this may help future C5 owners that have this issue in the future.

Get notified of new replies

To Ignition Cylinder Lock

Quick Reply: Ignition Cylinder Lock