C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Painless Wiring fan switch kit

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2016, 02:34 AM
Rabbitman
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Painless Wiring fan switch kit

I just bought the painless wiring fan switch kit for my 2003 Vette {pn. 30106 for LS1 engines. It has a thermostatic switch to turn on the fan or fans at 210 and shuts off at 190. As far as I know I have the stock 190 thermostat in the engine now as it cruises at 190 till I get to stoplights then it climbs normaly like they do. The fans do work like they should but I would like to have them come on sooner like most people.
My questions are
1- is the 190 thermostat ok to use with this particular switch.
2- It says the relay can handle a total of 30 amps. Does that mean I can use both fans or just 1 and if so which one since I don't know how many amps these fans pull?
3.- Which wire for the fans do I splice the wire from the included relay to for the fan or {fans}?
4. Does this kit in any way hurt the normal operation of the fans or back feed to the computer in any way since it puts full battery voltage out when the switch hits the 210 mark?
The included instructions are just a little vague. Any help would be greatly appreciated
Old 08-21-2016, 11:33 PM
Rabbitman
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 25 Posts

I think the best thing for me to do is just leave it stock the way it is since from all I've read these temps are normal and the fans do come on as they should. I understand schematics somewhat but there are already 3 relays in there now and I'm not sure where I would wire the other one anyway and with the computer completing the ground path to begin with I don't even see why I even need the included relay that comes with the kit which is only a 30 amp rated one.
To my way of thinking {which I'm sure isn't right to begin with} I don't see why the thermostat switch in the kit wouldn't just complete the ground to one of the existing relays {or both} and just turn them on by itself without the need for anything else. Since the computer just controls the grounds to the relays that are already there I don't understand what the need for the one in the kit is needed for which would just supply power to the fans which it looks like to me is already there, just without the ground path.
Why couldn't I just wire the thermostat switch {which is just a thermostaticly controlled grounding switch} to one of the already existing ground wires on the relays that are controlled by the computer to just turn the fan on sooner than the computer would?
Both fans work together at the same speeds when they come on and I don't even understand what controls the slower speed to begin unless the speed control is in the fan itself so I think I'm going to just leave it alone since everything works as it is supposed to anyway.
I'd have to understand this a little better before I start hacking into something like this even though this kit is supposed to be for the LS1's.
But thanks again for your help on this matter, it's just a little over my head at this point and I don't want to create a problem in a perfectly good system that obviously works as it should from what I've read on other posts about these temps.

Last edited by Rabbitman; 08-22-2016 at 12:05 AM.
Old 08-22-2016, 12:45 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

With that kit being $85 you might as well get a $150 ECS mail order tune to lower the fan operating temperatures and at the same time they would either improve your automatic transmission shifting or eliminate your manual transmission CAGS.

I'd have to think the only LS1 specific thing about that kit is the metric threaded sensor which presumably will screw into the head port?

To answer your question, yes you could just use the sensor and control the factory low speed relay by tapping into a single wire. But, that sensor is not suitable for use with a stock thermostat because the fans would never go off.

Get notified of new replies

To Painless Wiring fan switch kit

Quick Reply: Painless Wiring fan switch kit