C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Troubleshooting TR6060 - No reverse

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2016, 04:18 PM
Turbo-Geist
Melting Slicks

Received 176 Likes on 138 Posts
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C5 of Year Finalist

Default Troubleshooting TR6060 - No reverse

I have a 99 C5 with a TR6060 from a 2008 C6Z. It was having a hard time shifting into 1st and reverse and the other shifts seemed very slow. I figured the stock clutch master cylinder was getting weak and installed a Tick master cylinder.

The new master cylinder seemed to cure all of the issues. Very easy to go into 1st and reverse while stopped and the other shifts were now lightning fast. I went to a half mile test event and on the shift to 5th at WOT it felt like it was in gear but nothing engaged and the car hit the rev limiter. No grinding, just felt like something was blocking it from fully engaging. During normal and moderately spirited driving it would still drop into 5th.

Prior to the next run I needed to back up and it would not engage reverse. It would click into gear, but as soon as the clutch started to engage, the shifter would pop out of gear. If you tried to hold it in reverse, it would just grind and not make any difference.

Troubleshooting:
-I've checked to make sure that the reverse lock-out solenoid is functioning properly and it works.

-With the car on jackstands, you can put it in reverse and let out on the clutch and the rear wheels will turn normally.

-If you put the emergency brake on with the wheels off the ground, it will pop out of reverse as soon as the clutch starts to engage.

-1st - 4th gears work fine and will go into gear during high rpm shifts. As mentioned, 5th gear will not engage at high rpm. Once the RPMs fall, it will drop into gear.

Any ideas on what might need to be repaired? Has anyone experienced a similar issue?
Old 08-22-2016, 06:43 PM
tmtraylor
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

I would confirm the shifter position/adjustment as a next step. With all the problem gears being on the upper extreme sides of the shift pattern, the shifter box may need to move slightly towards the rear of the car.

I haven't tinkered with the 6060, but it doesn't take much movement or out of aligment on the set screw in the shift rod on the T56 to cause issues. Good luck!

http://www.rpmtransmission.mobi/file...adjustment.pdf

and Froggy47 even did a video tutorial...
Old 08-22-2016, 10:38 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,261 Likes on 1,056 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

check the bolt that holds the shift rod to the box, mine came loose and I had issues like you are experiencing as well as the shifter feeling very sloppy... I ended up using a header bolt with loctite to replace the torx bolt... header bolts are 10.9 grade and the same thread pitch as those torx bolts
Old 08-22-2016, 11:23 PM
Turbo-Geist
Melting Slicks

2017 C5 of Year Finalist

Thanks. It goes into every gear fine during normal driving. The main issue is that there is no reverse. I'm using the new style MGW shifter with the billet lower box. I used their alignment tool and have verified that the connection is tight.

If the rod was loose, there would be issues with other gears and a sloppy feeling right? There is no sloppiness here. It will bang gears as fast as physically possible for a quarter mile.
Old 08-23-2016, 07:45 PM
Turbo-Geist
Melting Slicks

2017 C5 of Year Finalist

I figured more people would have experienced this type of failure. I'm planning to take it apart anyway, but it would have been nice to know what I'm up against.
Old 08-25-2016, 09:17 PM
o1Z0sick
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have exactly the same problem and just started the process of removing it. It's a 6060 brand new from GM, 2013 model/design. I actually have to put it in 4th before reverse to stop the prop shaft from spinning or else it will grind. But I frequently have to hold pressure on the shifter while releasing the clutch and then it pops in.

My 5th gear is giving me the same problems too. I think all this is due to a dragging floater plate disc and the large twin disc MOI. I about to get a Mantic 9000. If I rev it in gear while stopped, at about 5000 rpm it will try to move forward.

i am going to go ahead and take the 5/6 and rev syncros out and replace with carbon like I did for 1, 3/4, 2nd was already the new design hybrid synchro.
Old 08-26-2016, 04:57 PM
TastyBacon
Pro

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

I know that the 6060 is different, but for what it's worth, my T56 had the same reverse gear symptoms. When I took the extension housing off, I found most of the mangled guts of the reverse gear synchro stuck to the magnets on the bottom of the case. A piece of the broken synchro had also found its way into the 5/6 cluster and broken a tooth off of 6th.
Old 08-29-2016, 05:06 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,261 Likes on 1,056 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Turbo-Geist
If the rod was loose, there would be issues with other gears and a sloppy feeling right? There is no sloppiness here. It will bang gears as fast as physically possible for a quarter mile.
I was still able to shift fine when racing but initially getting into first and reverse was sometimes iffy and regardless of which gear it was in the shifter itself had slop when rocking it from left to right... this was when I still had the t56 though, I figured the shifter was wearing out or something and I was about to pull it for a 6060 swap anyway so I waited to look into it and when I started to tear it apart it was obvious... when moving the shifter from side to side the lower part of the box was moving independently of the shift rod and the bolt had a flat spot wore into it... I tried to clean up the threads but as you can see in the pic below it wasn't 100% so that's why I looked into an alternative and ended up using header bolts to replace all the torx bolts... why it happened I have no idea, maybe hard shifting

Old 04-10-2017, 01:59 PM
o1Z0sick
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Turbo Geist, any update to the TR6060 shifting?

I just got around to taking it apart. Upon inspection, the reverse syncro is toast. There are heat marks in the steel blocker ring where the brass cone ring makes contact. Don't think I could have put that much heat into it by just trying to select reverse a few times while not moving. I really think the reverse syncro was trying to get selected in the 4th to 5th shift. Where when I thought I was trying to get blocked out of 5th it was actually trying to go into reverse?

I could be totally incorrect in the assessment of the reverse syncro and that it was actually getting burnt from normally selecting reverse while not moving. I definitely had a warped twin disc friction plates that would have contributed to 5th blocking itself and burning up reverse. Meaning that there are no problems internally with the transmission. I just don't see any abnormal wear on the 5th syncro, blocker or gear that would indicate being blocked.

I'll post some pics this evening and I'm going to tweak a few more things while I'm in there but I really hope this new LT1-R twin releases like a champ.

FYI: Even the 6060 in the ACR Viper has problems (https://driveviper.com/forums/archiv...hp/t-9266.html). Same sequence of events, high speed 5th shift, seems blocked but it's actually frying reverse, next time in reverse it grinds. I really think it is trying to engage reverse.

Last edited by o1Z0sick; 04-10-2017 at 02:10 PM.
Old 08-15-2017, 10:18 AM
cyberGS10
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this thread is a few months old, but the same thing is happening in my '10 grand sport. I had the high-speed 4-5 grinding and i'm really thinking it was trying to go into reverse also, now that my reverse gear is shot. I guess i'm gonna go ahead and yank the trans. Any tips or tricks on getting the tranny out?
Old 01-02-2018, 02:16 PM
malize89
5th Gear

Default Fixed my 2005 Lingenfelter !!

Thanks for all the replies on this post and good looking out on the troubleshooting! I have a 2005 and after having the torque tube bearings and a bunch of other stuff under the driveshaft replaced, noticed I could not easily get into reverse. All the other gears were fine but it didn’t matter if the car was on or off, clutch engaged or not – it just would not get into that part of the gear.I have a short throw shifter, so I generally only have to move it another couple millimeters past 5/6 neutral to get it in position to lift up to reverse. It almost felt like a hydraulic gear without fluid or steering without power steering fluid. The mechanic didn’t see any codes or blown fuses and we came across this post.

We ended up putting it back on the lift and reaching above The front of the transmission. There’s like 10 to 20 different wires and cables the plug-in there, and sure enough, one of them was not plugged in. Apparently that’s the reverse shifter solenoid control. Plug that in and everything worked! Hope this helps someone else !
Old 02-08-2018, 11:46 AM
Dkiefert
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Turbo-Geist
I have a 99 C5 with a TR6060 from a 2008 C6Z. It was having a hard time shifting into 1st and reverse and the other shifts seemed very slow. I figured the stock clutch master cylinder was getting weak and installed a Tick master cylinder.

The new master cylinder seemed to cure all of the issues. Very easy to go into 1st and reverse while stopped and the other shifts were now lightning fast. I went to a half mile test event and on the shift to 5th at WOT it felt like it was in gear but nothing engaged and the car hit the rev limiter. No grinding, just felt like something was blocking it from fully engaging. During normal and moderately spirited driving it would still drop into 5th.

Prior to the next run I needed to back up and it would not engage reverse. It would click into gear, but as soon as the clutch started to engage, the shifter would pop out of gear. If you tried to hold it in reverse, it would just grind and not make any difference.

Troubleshooting:
-I've checked to make sure that the reverse lock-out solenoid is functioning properly and it works.

-With the car on jackstands, you can put it in reverse and let out on the clutch and the rear wheels will turn normally.

-If you put the emergency brake on with the wheels off the ground, it will pop out of reverse as soon as the clutch starts to engage.

-1st - 4th gears work fine and will go into gear during high rpm shifts. As mentioned, 5th gear will not engage at high rpm. Once the RPMs fall, it will drop into gear.

Any ideas on what might need to be repaired? Has anyone experienced a similar issue?
i had same with 2000 6 speed, removed rear cover of tranny ,machined off of reverse shift fork as when shifted in reverse synch was not engaging all the way, give me a call and can text pics and better explanation 701. 840. 1441

Get notified of new replies

To Troubleshooting TR6060 - No reverse

Quick Reply: Troubleshooting TR6060 - No reverse