C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 starting issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2016, 09:49 PM
Soldier12
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C5 starting issue

I have a 2003 C5 Z06

I had an issue where I would turn the key, the gauge would do their thing, I'd turn the key the rest of the way and nothing would happen.

I've read where the ignition switch contacts get dirty, I took it out and cleaned it. Worked great for a week.

I just replaced it today... Worked awesome for the first 10 or so starts. Then the same thing happened.

I have no codes and a new ignition switch installed.

Any help?
Old 08-23-2016, 10:44 PM
Soldier12
5th Gear

If the starter was bad it wouldn't even click over?

It's a twin turbo sts rear mount... So I'm sure it has headers. I didn't do the build myself though
Old 08-24-2016, 12:04 AM
Soldier12
5th Gear

Ill put it in the air and check things tomorrow and let you know what I find
Old 08-24-2016, 10:22 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
Time to get the digital multi meter out and start testing.

Here is the ignition diagram for the C5:

Since you have a new ignition switch it is most likely not the switch itself. But there are fuess involved that could be problematic. No codes probably means security (reading the pellet on the key ) is OK. But there is the clutch neutral safety switch and after you have eliminated all the rest the starter solenoid is a known very weak point on the C5.

Next time the car will not crank, get a broom handle and place one end on the starter body (NOT THE SOLENOID) and take a heavy hammer and whack the other end of the broom handle while a helper holds the key in the start position. No love taps on the end of the broom handle!! Hard solid blows to send a shock to the starter/solenoid. If the engine fires right up you need to replace the solenoid. Unfortunately you need to remove the starter to get to the solenoid. If you have headers, (no info about the car in the post or your profile ) you will wish you didn't by the time you get the starter out.
100% On the mark!

NUMEROUS people are plagued by this very issue. The THUMP TEST will let you know where the problem is.

Excellent recommendation to inspect and check the solenoid wiring connections!

Bill
Old 08-24-2016, 10:38 AM
CFeria
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Had same issue 2x in the past month, quick fix I tried was cleaning the pellet on key with pencil eraser and wiped down with alcohol. Doubt that was the fix but when I went to try to start about 10 min after I had this issue, the starter motor kicked in fine and started car, had this issue last Friday morning and thankfully hasn't happened again since. When I have time I would like to get under and look at solenoid connections, also would like to find and reseat starter relay. I think its in passenger foot well? just not sure which one?

Wish you the best of luck diagnosing this issue!
Old 08-24-2016, 12:01 PM
imjdoggie
Pro

Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Starter solenoid, I had the exact same issue replaced the starter thanks to Bill C and other members support and guidance and vaaarooommmmm.

Last edited by imjdoggie; 08-24-2016 at 12:02 PM.
Old 08-24-2016, 09:53 PM
Soldier12
5th Gear

So here's the update.

Went today to double check I had no codes and the car got stuck at autozone. After a quick push start I took it to the shop for a new starter.

I told them to double check using the thump check, and a power probe before putting the new starter in.

They got the car to start 4 out of 200 times by the key according to the mechanic. He checked and there is power at the solenoid using a light to check. So he ran a power probe to the starter, and it starts.

He was confused why the key sending power wasn't starting, but the power probe was. But he did mention that the starter didn't kick over as easy as it should. He said sometimes it clicked then slowly started. Sometimes it didn't at all and sometime it kicked right over.

His diagnosis was that the starter needed replaced, or would shortly.

We will know tomorrow if the starter was the issue. Still unsure why it gets 12v from the key, but won't start... But the power probe it will. My uncle says it because the power probe is actually 14v straight from the battery.

I will update tomorrow one way or another so anyone else with this problem has a detailed fix hopefully
Old 08-25-2016, 09:08 AM
imjdoggie
Pro

Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

You'll be fine man I'm very confident that was your issue. The starter should not have been more than $300-$350 installed...............please keep us posted.

Last edited by imjdoggie; 08-25-2016 at 11:08 AM.
Old 08-25-2016, 08:37 PM
nitrouspaul
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

yes please keep us posted i am going thru this right now

Get notified of new replies

To C5 starting issue

Quick Reply: C5 starting issue