C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 Z06 - Had oil pump changed, now I have codes

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 09:10 PM
Highpower500
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 2003 Z06 - Had oil pump changed, now I have codes

I just had the oil pump changed on my 2003 Z06 because I had the low oil pressure warning at start-up. When I drove it home from the dealer, I didn’t have any codes. On my first drive in the car a couple of days after I got it home, my check engine light came on after about 5 miles. I drove straight home and pulled the codes and came up with this:

10PCM P0410 HC Secondary AIR injection System
40 BCM B2588 H Column lock open or short to voltage
40 BCM B2593 H Column lock open or short to voltage
99 HVAC U1160 H Loss of communication with LDCM

I cleared the codes, drove for about 10 miles and the check engine light did not come on again and the codes did not come back.

However, my column lock doesn’t work now whereas before it always did. Also, now air comes out of all of the vents (floor, dash, defrost) no matter what the A/C setting is, and that was never a problem before. Can any of these codes be related to the work that was done to replace my oil pump? The tech did pull off my manifold to check the oil pressure sensor. Am I correct in assuming that the dealer should do what it takes to correct whatever is causing these codes at no additional charge to me?
Old 08-24-2016, 10:12 PM
zachaeous
Melting Slicks

Received 451 Likes on 376 Posts

The air blowing out of all the vents is because of the little vacuum line that is on the back of the intake manifold either being left off or it could be pinched and stopped up. That vacuum line also supplies vacuum to the solenoid for the AIR pump and thus the code for that. PO410 code. Don't ask me how I know this. LOL

I am not sure about the column lock. Hopefully some one else will chime in on that.

I would think the dealer should be responsible for most of the problems.

Good luck
The following users liked this post:
Highpower500 (08-25-2016)
Old 08-24-2016, 10:41 PM
Smoken1
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 971 Likes on 783 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

8VETTE7 is the guru in the column lock. You may need the LMC5 for that if they re-flashed the PCM
Old 08-25-2016, 01:28 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

The ONLY issue that you can blame on the dealer is the vacuum line behind the intake.. Its a relatively simple fix for the dealer but, you have to be armed to defend your request for them to resolve the issue.

zachaeous explanation of the issue is rock solid spot on!

BC
Old 08-25-2016, 08:18 AM
Highpower500
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the replies.

I didn't think the column lock was related to the oil pump, but it is a weird coincidence that I never had any problems until I had the oil pump work done. My battery is 6 years old, so maybe it is time to replace it.

Just to confirm, both codes
10PCM P0410 HC Secondary AIR injection System
99 HVAC U1160 H Loss of communication with LDCM
are related to the same vacuum line connection?
Old 08-25-2016, 08:21 AM
Highpower500
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
Column Lock symptoms and codes are almost always caused by a weak or bad battery or loose or corroded battery connections including at the starter. A good battery at full charge will measure 12.7 to 12.9 volts or more when measured across the battery posts using a digital multi meter. Don't bother with the dash gauges as they report the health of the charging system and NOT the health of the battery. Column lock system runs BEFORE the car is started so having good voltage once the car is running does NOT help. If your battery voltage is 12.5 or less measured as described above the column lock electronics will fail even though you can start the car..

If you want to avoid the column lock symptoms once and for all get and install an LMC5. Go to

http://complianceparts.com/index.html

to read about and order an LMC5. Dealer will not install an LMC5 for you. GM has NEVER had a permanent solution to the column lock problem so if you let them do what they do they will charge you and their fix will not correct the problem forever. Symptoms will come back the next time the battery goes low.
8VETTE7,

Do you think a new battery will help or will I definitely need an LMC5? The column is not locked at this point.

Last edited by Highpower500; 08-25-2016 at 08:26 AM.
Old 08-25-2016, 11:14 AM
Highpower500
Burning Brakes

If your column previously locked as you seem to indicate and it does NOT now lock, I would absolutely install an LMC5 to avoid being stranded in the future by the 2mph fuel shutoff (assuming the car HAS had the GM Column Lock Recall Service) or the column locking and not wanting to unlock.

LMC5 abandons all factory and/or GM Recall wiring downstream of the BCM since it installs right at the BCM.

I would definitely start with a battery. I'm betting that if you have your current 6 year old battery fully charged it will not retain a full charge very long.
Sounds good, thanks. The column lock was working and the car had the recall service performed by the previous owner. I'm going to order the LMC5 even if replacing the battery fixes the issue. It is a small investment for the piece of mind given. Thanks for the tip!
Old 08-25-2016, 07:45 PM
Highpower500
Burning Brakes

UPDATE:

I had my battery charging all day and when I checked the voltage this evening at the battery terminals (with the charger off) it registered 12.64 volts. Does this definitely mean it is time to replace it?

I did order an LMC5 today from Compliance Parts, so I'm looking forward to getting that installed.

Also, I went for a drive this evening and checked for codes with the engine running when I got back home and had no codes. Window and door locks were working fine. However, the A/C system was still blowing out of all of the vents. I have an appointment tomorrow at the dealership who replaced my oil pump. They said if the P0410 problem was caused by something they did, there would be no charge. We shall see.

Is there any other possible cause of the A/C vent problem besides an issue with a vacuum line behind the manifold? I'd like to have all of my ammo ready in case I get in a battle with the service department.
Old 08-26-2016, 10:17 AM
NavyGunner1980
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Let the battery sit over night at least and check the voltage in the morning. If it were not at least 12.6 volts I would replace it. JMHO

As far as the AC not working due to the vacuum line possibly being disconnected, I will leave that for others to comment on.
I would sugest getting one of these
https://www.zoro.com/otc-battery-loa...Q&gclsrc=aw.ds

they are not expensive and it will test your battery under a load, sometime a battery can look likes its good under a no load situation.

Just my .02

Tony
Highpower500 (08-26-2016)
Old 08-26-2016, 01:03 PM
Highpower500
Burning Brakes

ANOTHER UPDATE:

Took the car to the dealer this morning and the P0410 code A/C vent problem has been fixed at no charge. Many thanks to everyone on this forum who helped. I think it was a huge benefit going to the service counter at least sounding like I knew what I was talking about.

When I told them that I suspected the problem was the vacuum line at the back of the intake not being connected, their eyes got wide for a brief second. After about an hour, the service rep came out and told me I was all set. When I asked what the problem was, I was sheepishly told "The vacuum line at the back of the manifold became disconnected".

I bought a new battery on the way home that I will put in this weekend. The LMC5 should be here next week, so I will tackle that project then. Thanks again!

Get notified of new replies

To 2003 Z06 - Had oil pump changed, now I have codes

Quick Reply: 2003 Z06 - Had oil pump changed, now I have codes