C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch Input Shaft Bearing Removal

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2016, 05:27 PM
JD White
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Clutch Input Shaft Bearing Removal

So I'm upgrading my entire drivetrain in my '02 Z06 including a DSS carbon fiber driveshaft. I'm replacing the torque tube bearings while there and I have the GM service manuals. The removal instructions for the clutch input shaft bearing states nothing about it being pressed onto the shaft. I've removed the slinger washer and snap ring but the bearing will not budge. I've gone as so far as placing the shaft in a vise and trying to lightly hammer off the bearing with a wood dowel. All I've managed to do is break the wood.

Anyone know if this bearing is pressed on? If so, know of any decent hand tools that can remove it? I'll be taking the rear bearing housing assembly to a shop since those bearings are pressed. Worst case I just take the input shaft as well.

Last edited by JD White; 09-16-2016 at 05:29 PM.
Old 09-17-2016, 04:40 AM
02general
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

If you can't get it to move hitting it with a big hammer and a block of wood, I'd say it's pressed on there. You could try and hit it with a 1' diameter piece of brass. I'd just take it some where and have old one pressed off and new one pressed on.
Old 09-18-2016, 05:00 AM
tentuna
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 54 Posts

If you can't get to a hydraulic press, what I've done in the past is to split the races, they are very hard steel, if you have a die cutter make a deep score in the outer and a sharp chisel should do the rest, same on the inner.
Old 09-20-2016, 09:17 PM
furious427
Drifting

Received 446 Likes on 319 Posts

Pretty sure you can do it with a shop press.
Old 09-21-2016, 11:20 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,081 Likes on 1,634 Posts

I have used a air chisel with a blunt end !!!!

Get notified of new replies

To Clutch Input Shaft Bearing Removal

Quick Reply: Clutch Input Shaft Bearing Removal