C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driver side locks and windows not working!! HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2016, 10:08 PM
4udio0ut
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driver side locks and windows not working!! HELP!!

Hello, all. Been lurking on CF for some time now, but just now officially joined...so much good info on here! Thanks to all that take the time to contribute!!

I just picked up a 2002 C5Z with 60k miles a couple weeks ago. It's in great shape, but I've run into a couple common issues I'm hoping some of the more tenured folks here can help with before I'm forced to take my car to the stealership as an absolute last resort...

From my searches on the site, symptoms for my problem (and potential fixes) have been discussed in length before, but I'm posting as I've checked just about everything all you knowledgeable folks have recommended for others before me and the problem still exists. So here goes... any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Issue:
Driver side power locks and windows do not work (lock or unlock, up or down), using the driver controls or the key fob. Relays are not firing or clicking...nothing happens. Mirrors and memory settings work fine. All passenger side functions work fine (from both the driver's and passenger's controls). Current code being thrown is B2284 Battery #2 Fault DCM-LEFT. I'm not able to clear this code as it comes right back. Based on my research and the input from everyone with similar issues before, my hunch is that it's a ground issue or bad connection somewhere.

What I've checked:
(1) Mechanical - The lock and window mechanics work fine. The door can be locked manually with the lever or key. Both windows and locks actually worked (using driver controls and/or key fob) hit or miss for a while right after I got the car, then both stopped working altogether suddenly.

(2) DCM - I've determined this isn't the problem. I swapped the driver's side DCM with the passenger side DCM, then the driver's side still didn't work, and the passenger side still did. Before swapping with the passenger side to rule out a faulty CDM, I stupidly assumed this was the problem as it was so common and dropped the money for a salvage replacement, but the windows and locks still didn't work. This is why I really don't think it's a DCM issue.

(3) Grounds - I've checked a couple of nearby (the one behind the driver's side headlight and the one at the bottom of the driver's side a-pillar. Totally unbolted and cleaned connections on both. Neither showed signs of corrosion or were bent, etc.

(4) Door accordion and other harnesses/connections - Unplugged and inspected these. They looked good. Wiggling around on these while holding lock and window buttons didn't yield any results. I've inspected, wiggled, unplugged, and replugged just about every connector and harness that touches the door with no success.

(5) Battery - The battery appears to be good. I don't know its age as I just got the car, but it reads right at 12 volts at rest (within acceptable range based on my research), and seems to charge fine. No signs of corrosion, etc

What am I missing!? HELP!!

Thanks in advance,
Jay
Old 09-25-2016, 10:21 PM
4udio0ut
3rd Gear

Thanks for the quick reply! I checked the battery with a digital multi meter across the posts with key off, but the negative cable was connected.

Oh, I missed the fuse part of your reply!! Forgot to mention the fuses in my original post. I checked the DCM fuse in the passenger foot well, but don't recall if I did the one for the door power!! Let me double check on that right now and I'll let you know. Thanks!

Last edited by 4udio0ut; 09-25-2016 at 10:28 PM.
Old 09-25-2016, 10:39 PM
4udio0ut
3rd Gear

I can't believe it...it was the door power fuse!!! I can't believe it was that easy. I was tearing everything apart and overcomplicating it from the start!!!

One of the first things I did was check the DCM fuse in the footwell (and also several times throughout the diagnosing process just to be sure), but didn't ever check for power at the door since the mirrors and memory were working just fine.

Wow, can't believe it was that easy. Thanks so much for the help!!

Jay

Get notified of new replies

To Driver side locks and windows not working!! HELP!!

Quick Reply: Driver side locks and windows not working!! HELP!!