C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fast blinker help

Old 09-26-2016, 09:09 AM
Willyum
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fast blinker help

My left blinker is the only one that blinks fast and then sometimes when I slow down it will cause my right blinker to start blinking a little bit faster until I stop. I took my car to a corvette shop and they said they didn't know what was wrong with my blinkers. I have aftermarket halo led taillights that may be causing the problem. These taillights have been in the car since I bought it. Please help!
Old 09-26-2016, 06:34 PM
CaliforniaJack
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Are you sure that it's not just a burned out bulb(s)? Cars were designed to indicate a burned out bulb by flashing at an increased rate on the dash indicator. If that's not the problem, try switching the lamps on each side to the other side to see if the problem follows.
Old 09-26-2016, 07:12 PM
GCG
Melting Slicks

Received 725 Likes on 577 Posts

Originally Posted by Willyum
My left blinker is the only one that blinks fast... ...I have aftermarket halo led taillights...
What do you have in your front turn signals? Regular bulbs or LEDs as well? Do you know if shunt resistors were installed?
Old 09-26-2016, 09:36 PM
c6miller
Drifting

Received 167 Likes on 117 Posts

You may want to remove the bulbs and inspect the sockets. Mine were burnt so I replaced both sides. They are available from several of the forum dealers and they are an easy fix.
Old 09-27-2016, 12:34 AM
deejbee
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

EXACT same thing happened to me.
Bought our 1999 and it had halo taillights from the previous owner.

The signals didn't work at all when we got it. So I replaced both front bulbs. All the lights worked in the car.

The left signals flashed normally, the right side hyperflashed.

I replaced the passenger side DRL socket with one from a 2004 Pontia Sunfire from Pick n Pull. (certain cars use the same socket)
I wanted a factory socket so I got one from pick and pull for a few bucks. The GM socket costs about $70 where I am from.

All that work and the car still hyperflashed on the right hand side.

I ordered a hyperflash harness from a non-vendor (it was cheaper than the vendors) took about 30 seconds to install because my console was out anyways, and BINGO both sides flash normally now.

My conclusion is that your halo lights "may" have resistors built into them to stop the hyperflash issue and one may have burned out. I think that is what happened with mine but I can't be certain.

But order that harness and you will be happy. I was resisting doing it but it was either get the harness or buy some factory taillights and go back to stock. The harness was easier and cheaper.

Last edited by deejbee; 09-27-2016 at 12:39 AM.
Old 09-27-2016, 12:38 AM
deejbee
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Willyum, here is my thread on how to get GM DRL sockets for dirt cheap.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-a-budget.html

You can get aftermarket ones. I think Dorman makes some that will work. But you can also go to Pick n Pull and get genuine GM ones from certain models and it will be a little more work but cheaper and it is an OEM part. If you replace them you will have to cut/solder them anyways so might as well use an OEM socket. Easier to sell down the road when you tell someone that your DRL sockets have been replaced with OEM sockets!
Old 09-27-2016, 10:55 AM
phil hunter
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

I recently installed Halo LED tail lights. Both sides started hyper flashing. Installed hyper flash harness. Problem solved. You might need a hyper flash harness if no burnt out bulb. Easy to install.

Phil

Last edited by phil hunter; 09-27-2016 at 10:56 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Fast blinker help

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fast blinker help