C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Fluid Capacity?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2016, 06:54 PM
L76
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Brake Fluid Capacity?

Hi Guys,

Re-doing the brakes (standard calipers with hawk pads) and flushing the brake fluid. Going to put in the heavy duty Ford DOT 3 fluid (yeah... I know Ford fluid in a Chevy?). Question - what is the capacity of the brake system? I am trying to figure out how much brake fluid to buy. The stuff is a little $$$.

Cheers,
Dennis
Old 09-27-2016, 09:15 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

If that fluid is still sold in the small 12 oz bottles, get 3 of them. That should be enough for the system. It may even be a good idea to get 4 bottles and if one isn't used, you can always take the unused sealed bottle back to the dealer.

Nothing really wrong at all with the Ford Motorsports HD fluid; the wet boiling point is close to the top of the DOT3 scale.
Old 09-27-2016, 04:44 PM
wrkdWS6
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

I agree with above. I recently flushed my brake fluid and it took 3 full 12 oz. bottles and a part of a 4th bottle. Buy 4 and you should be good to go.
Old 09-28-2016, 03:21 PM
craig-o
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I use a high-performance fluid from Ate, TYP 200. You used to be able to get it in blue and clear/amber. They are the same except for color, so by alternating colors on each flush, you could tell when the new stuff comes out of the bleeder by the color change.

These products come in 1 liter containers (33.8 fluid ounces) which was always enough to flush the system with a bit left over. I'd guess the total system capacity is less than ~28-30 oz. Three 12 oz bottles will be enough to fully flush the system, but only if you can clearly tell when you've got new, fresh fluid coming out of the bleeder screw. If you're flushing the system because it really needs it and the fluid is the color of Coca Cola, that won't be a problem. But if you're doing this on a routine maintenance schedule, you might be challenged to tell when the old stuff has been pushed out completely. Having a 4th bottle on-hand (one that could be returned if unopened) might be good insurance.

As an aside, the NHTSA stepped in and declared that blue dye could not be used in brake fluid in the US, because it could be confused with wiper fluid! So Ate is no longer importing the Super Blue fluid, only the amber TYP 200.

Get notified of new replies

To Brake Fluid Capacity?

Quick Reply: Brake Fluid Capacity?