C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad wheel bearing?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2016, 12:05 AM
zhero21
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bad wheel bearing?

02z, lowered on stock bolts. When I turn right at speed I hear a random pop pop pop....pop...poppopopop....pop. Sounds kind of like a grinding. popping gets faster the faster I'm going. No noise while wheel is straight or turn left. No play in wheel or brakes. Nothing that I can see is rubbing or hitting. Is this the wheel bearing? Something messed up in my power steering? Worn bushing? No codes present. Help me troubleshoot please
Old 09-28-2016, 08:13 AM
runner140*
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 282 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by zhero21
02z, lowered on stock bolts. When I turn right at speed I hear a random pop pop pop....pop...poppopopop....pop. Sounds kind of like a grinding. popping gets faster the faster I'm going. No noise while wheel is straight or turn left. No play in wheel or brakes. Nothing that I can see is rubbing or hitting. Is this the wheel bearing? Something messed up in my power steering? Worn bushing? No codes present. Help me troubleshoot please
Did you get the front end off the ground & grab the tire at...3 and 9 o'clock
and 12 and 6 o'clock and see if there is any play?
Old 09-28-2016, 08:31 AM
pgandy
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

raise and check the play. Could be. But, Usually you get other tell tale sounds leading up to that kind of failure, low frequency groan, etc.

If the bearing checks out...

Check the sticky's and composite DIY/thread collection. There are similar symptoms to what you are describing, and a simple fix, relating to the rear drive axle and spline shaft at the hub.
Old 09-28-2016, 02:42 PM
zhero21
Instructor

Originally Posted by pgandy
raise and check the play. Could be. But, Usually you get other tell tale sounds leading up to that kind of failure, low frequency groan, etc.

If the bearing checks out...

Check the sticky's and composite DIY/thread collection. There are similar symptoms to what you are describing, and a simple fix, relating to the rear drive axle and spline shaft at the hub.
I could be mistaken, but I swear the sound it coming from the engine bay and not the rear.
Old 09-28-2016, 02:53 PM
zhero21
Instructor

Originally Posted by runner140*
Did you get the front end off the ground & grab the tire at...3 and 9 o'clock
and 12 and 6 o'clock and see if there is any play?
I think I found it, noise and play at 3 and 9. 12 and 6 are solid. What does 3 and 9 mean?
Old 09-28-2016, 03:08 PM
pgandy
Advanced

3 and 9 could be tie rod if 12 and 6 are solid. Bad bearing should be radial....loosed all around. See if you can see your tie rod end while moving the wheel...or pry at it and see if the joint is loose. Could also be inner tie rod but try to get a look at the assy while someone moves the tire.

If you replace I would recommend both sides. I just replaced all four (front and rear outters), I think they were $20/ea., from Rockauto. Mevotech or Moog.

Last edited by pgandy; 09-28-2016 at 03:08 PM.
Old 09-28-2016, 03:53 PM
zhero21
Instructor

3 and 9 could be tie rod if 12 and 6 are solid. Bad bearing should be radial....loosed all around. See if you can see your tie rod end while moving the wheel...or pry at it and see if the joint is loose. Could also be inner tie rod but try to get a look at the assy while someone moves the tire.

If you replace I would recommend both sides. I just replaced all four (front and rear outters), I think they were $20/ea., from Rockauto. Mevotech or Moog.
OK so this is going to totally change things. Took off the sway bar (the bushing sits a little funny because a bolt is cross threaded, just need to fix it) to see if the noise would go away. Noise still there. This time the noise continued even while I was stopped. Kept the wheel in the same spot while it was still making the noise, popped the hood...noise stopped. Unable to replicate again while stopped. Wtf.... so no codes active. Traction control works; just tested it on the road. Wtf is this?

Last edited by zhero21; 09-28-2016 at 03:54 PM.
Old 09-28-2016, 05:07 PM
zhero21
Instructor

How do I upload video
Old 09-28-2016, 05:31 PM
zhero21
Instructor

https://youtu.be/Pg5w5sQP87s
Old 09-28-2016, 05:32 PM
zhero21
Instructor

http://youtu.be/bvsexCf51gQ
Old 09-29-2016, 12:16 AM
pgandy
Advanced

Setting aside the loose wheel at 3 and 9 (you probably need to come back to that, likely tie rod)....if you say it made the same sound sitting at idle I would suspect the power steering pump/pulley. Try turning the wheel engine running, in park and see you get the same thing.

See if it changes when you run the A/C compressor....make sure harmonic balancer isnt wobbling under load.
Old 09-29-2016, 11:34 AM
zhero21
Instructor

Setting aside the loose wheel at 3 and 9 (you probably need to come back to that, likely tie rod)....if you say it made the same sound sitting at idle I would suspect the power steering pump/pulley. Try turning the wheel engine running, in park and see you get the same thing.

See if it changes when you run the A/C compressor....make sure harmonic balancer isnt wobbling under load.
The harmonic balancer recently came loose. I just reinstalled, pinned, and red locktite. Looks to be fully mounted to crank but I'll watch it while someone revs the engine. How would I diagnose the power steering pump? Would trapped air cause this? How would I better bleed it?
Old 09-29-2016, 11:56 AM
zhero21
Instructor

Originally Posted by zhero21
The harmonic balancer recently came loose. I just reinstalled, pinned, and red locktite. Looks to be fully mounted to crank but I'll watch it while someone revs the engine. How would I diagnose the power steering pump? Would trapped air cause this? How would I better bleed it?
Also, noise only happens when I drive forward. Held the wheel at the same angle and went in reverse, no noise.

Get notified of new replies

To Bad wheel bearing?

Quick Reply: Bad wheel bearing?