C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ground Locations

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2016, 08:55 PM
ForceFedC5
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

Default Ground Locations

I posted this in the ground sticky but haven't received any responses so I'm hoping that posting it in the forum itself will help me get some answers.

My 2000 C5 has been having the standard electric gremlins like the blinkers working intermittently, occasional active handling warning and charging issues that more or less come with this car after years of ownership. The mechanic I have helping me is a very thorough and precise technician (he's actually an aircraft mechanic), however we are having problems locating some of the other grounds to clean. We have successfully located and cleaned some locations but cannot locate 2,5,12,13. Please keep in mind that my car is modded so it's quite possible that additional hardware is blocking the view of something obvious on other stock c5's. Also, where is 11 supposed to connect to?

Any assistance you can offer would be greatly appreciated. Or anyone else who happens to have these answers.

Thank you very much for all of your time spent and dedication helping others.

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
Here are where the chassis ground points are on a C5:

PLEASE let me know if you have any questions. NOTE! All of the pictures that I have of C5 Grounds have been posted on or in this post.

Bill Curlee

updated 02 March 06
Old 10-18-2016, 08:59 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,081 Likes on 1,634 Posts

2 and 5 are on the frame rails, pass side inside batt box, drivers below the washer tank toward the firewall. the others are on the intake but if it's modded ???????
The following users liked this post:
ForceFedC5 (10-18-2016)
Old 10-18-2016, 09:02 PM
ForceFedC5
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by akapounder
2 and 5 are on the frame rails, pass side inside batt box, drivers below the washer tank toward the firewall. the others are on the intake but if it's modded ???????
Thank you for your quick reply!

I think we've found those. 11, 12 & 13 are on the intake? Intake to the wiring harness or the frame? The ls1 intake has been replaced with an ls3 intake, not sure if that matters?

Last edited by ForceFedC5; 10-18-2016 at 09:02 PM.
Old 10-18-2016, 09:14 PM
fred6123
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Having the same issues but how do you remove the grounds to clean? I'm having a hard time removing them.
thanks
Old 10-18-2016, 09:21 PM
ForceFedC5
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by fred6123
Having the same issues but how do you remove the grounds to clean? I'm having a hard time removing them.
thanks
Have you checked Bill's thread?

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...tion-long.html
Old 10-18-2016, 09:43 PM
fred6123
Instructor

Yes great stuff just having a hard time removing the bolts. Very tight squeeze....
Old 10-18-2016, 09:51 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,081 Likes on 1,634 Posts

Originally Posted by fred6123
Yes great stuff just having a hard time removing the bolts. Very tight squeeze....
if you remove the batt and side cover = easy ///remove washer tank = easy (they are studs by the way)

Last edited by Pounder; 10-18-2016 at 09:52 PM.
Old 10-18-2016, 09:52 PM
ForceFedC5
Melting Slicks

Perhaps someone could post the pics of the grounds on the intake? It would be greatly appreciated!
Old 10-18-2016, 10:06 PM
fred6123
Instructor

Originally Posted by akapounder
if you remove the batt and side cover = easy ///remove washer tank = easy (they are studs by the way)
Perfect! Thanks for the tips!
Old 02-15-2017, 12:27 AM
professorjim
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I just had the sad experience of having my ignition switch, tumblers and springs go bad and since the car was not driveable I had it towed to dealer on four wheel dolly. When I went to lock car as I had to leave it outdoors, the power door locks wouldn't work. Further investigation led to discovering the windows wouldn't go down either by the switch or when activating the top lowering button, and the passengers mirror was no longer adjustable electrically (drivers worked ok).
Dealers has suggested that I replace both door modules. That is a lot of money! To me it seems so unlikely that all these electrical gremlins would appear at the same time and not have a common cause. Should I be repairing grounds or replacing parts?
Old 02-15-2017, 01:34 AM
professorjim
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
I'll bet they would suggest replacing the DCM's at about $600 new per module PLUS labor to install.

Start with getting your ignition cylinder repaired and leave your "apparent" DCM issues until you get the car out of the Stealership.

If you determine that the DCM's are bad (HIGHLY unlikely both would fail at the same time but theoretically possible) you can find exchange services that will take your DCM and for around $100 provide you with a reconditioned DCM. Here is one such service used by some Forum members:

www.autoclockrepair.com

Check Ebay for others.........

Here is some ground info that may help you:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...locations.html

Great feedback which I will followup on.
Thanks!!!
professorjim

Get notified of new replies

To Ground Locations

Quick Reply: Ground Locations