C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5.R auxiliary light install

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2016, 05:51 PM
dylans
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default C5.R auxiliary light install

I've started this thread to document the install of two Cibie aux lights.

Here is my initial thread for reference https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...questions.html

Some background...
I wanted fog/aux lights and I don't like the stock c5 style, or placement. I saw how the C5.R does it and I had to have them.

I tracked down the same lights used on the race car, Cibie Oscar SC snap ins'. I found that an install kit was made several years ago by aardvark international. http://www.talbotco.com/cibie_main_frameset.htm
I got into contact with them and they said they had the lights, the T mounts and bulbs and relays but not the aluminum sheet that the lights mount onto. They gave me a price of $450, which included all of the parts they had necessary for the project.

Here is an image they sent me of their setup.

I placed my order and after weeks of back and forth emails from them pertaining to the status of my order, I finally stopped receiving any responses. My last inquiry was a week and a half ago.
I found the lights elsewhere and ordered them https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/gr...ID=CIBIELIGHTS
The following users liked this post:
CPB (08-23-2023)
Old 10-20-2016, 05:58 PM
dylans
Instructor

The lights were delivered today!

I ordered one driving version and one cornering version.
The driving version can provide up to 620m (2034ft) of illumination straight ahead and 30m (98ft) side to side.
The cornering version can provide 240m (787ft) of illumination straight ahead and 75m (246ft) side to side.

Best of both worlds. Both lights use an H1 halogen bulb, up to 100w.
The lights are 6" in diameter, and about 3.5 deep.

Last edited by dylans; 10-21-2016 at 12:48 PM.
Old 10-20-2016, 06:10 PM
dylans
Instructor

In my initial thread it was recommended I speak with Daniel Stern at http://www.danielsternlighting.com/home.html for assistance and advice about my install as far as wiring goes.

I got in touch with him and he was extremely knowledgeable and helpful. Since my first order fell through I was left having to find a relay and bulbs. I ordered a relay and two 55w ultra high efficiency H1 bulbs through Daniel.

He gave me his blessing on the wiring harness I'm planning on building. I'm going to have power going to both lights from the relay. Each light will have it's own ground. I'll be sending power from the battery + through a 20a fuse to the relay. I'm going to tap into the high beam switch for signal to the relay to activate, and the relay ground is going to run through a switch in the dash so I can shut the lights off if I want.

I'll have low beams only, high beams plus aux lights when I pull the high beam switch, and high beams only when I flip the toggle for the aux light ground.
Sam Handwich (03-22-2017)
Old 10-20-2016, 06:23 PM
dylans
Instructor

I plan on building a factory looking harness. I've never built a wiring harness before, but it seems straight forward...

I've bought 30 ft of 3/8" split loom to run my harness through.

To wrap my wiring, creating one harness, I bought Tesa wire wrap. It's like a fabric that adheres to itself. Heat resistant, flame resistant, you get the idea.

I purchased these to install in various places to hold my split loom https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I bought a blue sea systems weather proof fuse holder and a 20a fuse for the power from battery to relay

I decided on using 12 gauge marine grade wiring throughout the harness https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'll tap into the high beams with these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also picked up a few feet of adhesive lined shrink tubing for my connectors http://www.cableorganizer.com/heat-s...at-shrink3.htm

Various ring terminals and butt connectors were also in order, from the local parts store.
Old 10-20-2016, 06:35 PM
FX VETTE
Team Owner

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,182 Posts
Winner 2020 C7 of the Year - Modified

Subscribed. Interested to see how they look on your car.
dylans (10-20-2016)
Old 10-20-2016, 06:37 PM
dylans
Instructor

The hard part will be mounting. I've had to locate aluminum square tubing and aluminum sheet myself. Industrial metal supply has a location right down the street from my work.

I got a quote for the materials
48" of 6061 square tubing, 1 1/4" square x 1/8" thick
and a 15" x 8" sheet of 1/16" thick aluminum, also 6061.

I'll have to cut the tubing to length and have the T's welded up for me.
To install the lights onto the sheet, I need to cut a 5" hole. I'm thinking 5" hole saw and a dremel to grind out the extra spaces that stick out from the 5" hole.

I cut the space for the lights to fit into, also

Old 10-20-2016, 06:40 PM
dylans
Instructor

To install, I'll have to remove the fascia. I'll also need to trim some of the bumper foam to allow the 15" of space the mount is going to take up.

More parts inbound, as this proceeds I'll be updating with plenty of pictures and more technical details.
Old 10-20-2016, 07:03 PM
dylans
Instructor

Originally Posted by Shaynanigans
Subscribed. Interested to see how they look on your car.
I've been paying more and more homage to the C5.R since buying the vehicle. I think it has to do a lot with the fact that the C5.R was yellow too...

I've also put in a white delrin shift ****, like in the C5.R

And to be honest, I spent a day pondering what it would be like and what it would take to have diff and trans cooler scoops, in C5.R style (and C7 Z06)

But that's a whole other thread for another time...
Old 10-21-2016, 08:53 AM
nsogiba
Drifting

Received 289 Likes on 233 Posts

subscribed to this thread! retrofitting these race-only items to your street car is pretty cool and is a welcome departure from the same old modifications you see on most C5s.
dylans (10-21-2016)
Old 10-21-2016, 12:51 PM
dylans
Instructor

Picked up the square tubing for the mounts, and the aluminum sheet to mount the lights to. I'll get pictures up once I'm done measuring and marking it all out on the aluminium!
Old 10-21-2016, 02:58 PM
jackthelad
Melting Slicks

Received 675 Likes on 519 Posts

I don't think the lights will disappoint. I lived (and drove) in Europe for many years, and Cibie were the "class" act for driving lights, and the big Oscars are beloved by the rally crowd. Add in the HIR bulbs (I guess that's what he got for you) and you will, as they say, own the night.
dylans (10-21-2016)
Old 10-21-2016, 09:21 PM
Sam Handwich
Burning Brakes

Received 108 Likes on 87 Posts

Cibie has a long history in race and rally. Should be interesting.
dylans (10-21-2016)
Old 10-21-2016, 11:07 PM
dylans
Instructor

Started work on the wiring harness.

First, getting the fuse holder ready for battery hook up

Next, wiring for power to lights

Mock up in the split loom
Old 10-21-2016, 11:10 PM
dylans
Instructor

Originally Posted by jackthelad
I don't think the lights will disappoint. I lived (and drove) in Europe for many years, and Cibie were the "class" act for driving lights, and the big Oscars are beloved by the rally crowd. Add in the HIR bulbs (I guess that's what he got for you) and you will, as they say, own the night.
Owning the night sounds very attractive. I cant wait! Thanks for the reply.
Old 10-21-2016, 11:17 PM
dylans
Instructor

Measured and marked up the aluminium for cutting

Tomorrow I'll be trying to get the holes cut in the sheet for the lights. I attempted to use my 5" hole saw to no avail. I'm gonna use small rivets to secure the light mount rings to the sheet and large rivets to secure the sheet to the square tubing.

Last edited by dylans; 10-21-2016 at 11:19 PM.
Old 10-22-2016, 12:19 AM
Sam Handwich
Burning Brakes

Received 108 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by dylans
Measured and marked up the aluminium for cutting

Tomorrow I'll be trying to get the holes cut in the sheet for the lights. I attempted to use my 5" hole saw to no avail. I'm gonna use small rivets to secure the light mount rings to the sheet and large rivets to secure the sheet to the square tubing.
I suggest stainless steel rivets as they will hold strong a lot longer than aluminum, and they won't rust. After all, aren't you doing a first class build?
dylans (10-22-2016)
Old 10-22-2016, 12:50 AM
dylans
Instructor

Originally Posted by Sam Handwich
I suggest stainless steel rivets as they will hold strong a lot longer than aluminum, and they won't rust. After all, aren't you doing a first class build?
That's my goal. I'll pick some stainless up tomorrow and return the aluminium ones I bought already!

Or should I go nuts and bolts?

Last edited by dylans; 10-22-2016 at 12:51 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To C5.R auxiliary light install

Old 10-22-2016, 05:45 PM
dylans
Instructor

Holes are cut. Sheet is painted. Lights are mounted.

I used steel rivets to secure the light mount rings to the sheet.

Old 10-24-2016, 11:13 AM
nsogiba
Drifting

Received 289 Likes on 233 Posts

Kind of disappointed that you didn't solder those connections...I never had good luck with crimps of that variety.
Old 10-24-2016, 12:33 PM
imjdoggie
Pro

Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Nice work man cant wait to see finished product............

Last edited by imjdoggie; 10-24-2016 at 12:33 PM.
dylans (10-24-2016)

Quick Reply: C5.R auxiliary light install